Difference between a Keystoker KA6 and KFA

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 12:36 am

Use a generous amount of cement between all the joints upstream of the air holes and wipe away any excess that squeezes out so thar your grates are nice and smooth and flat. As far as all the way down the outside edges I don't think it matters. What did you find when you took it apart? If it looks like it was sealed then I would go ahead and reseal it as well.

memco man
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 KA-6 Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarms 504
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska liberty
Hand Fed Coal Stove: jotul NR 507, crane coal cooker 44, crane 404, chubby w/blower, chubby w/out blower, franco blege 10-475 Montgomery ward laundry stove Moore's Brother seventeen circulator stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/anthracite/pea
Other Heating: harman p68, elmtree,harthstone,new mack

Post by memco man » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 9:48 am

Thanks gaw I don’t think that it was sealed it look a little warped in the middle not very much maybe a 1/16 of an inch when I took it apart

Thanks again for your help
Bill

memco man
Hand Fed Coal Stove: jotul NR 507, crane coal cooker 44, crane 404, chubby w/blower, chubby w/out blower, franco blege 10-475 Montgomery ward laundry stove Moore's Brother seventeen circulator stove

Post by memco man » Sun. Nov. 12, 2017 8:42 pm

Good evening everyone well I spent all afternoon flushing out the Ka 6 and you would not believe the stuff that came out of that boiler :o I am glade that I did not just drop that thing down into the basement when I first got it I worked on it for about 5 hrs. I think that I got it all But not sure I am worried that there is stuff in the middle where it drops down for the heat baffles here are some more pictures (I am so glade that I decided to pull that DWH what a mess) I also am putting a picture of my supervisor's they are the best bosses I ever had. Grand kids are the best ever!!!! :D
IMG_0458.jpg
.JPG | 65.3KB | IMG_0458.jpg
IMG_0462.jpg
.JPG | 69.2KB | IMG_0462.jpg
IMG_0466.jpg
.JPG | 59.4KB | IMG_0466.jpg
IMG_0474.jpg
.JPG | 68.8KB | IMG_0474.jpg
IMG_0476.jpg
.JPG | 127.2KB | IMG_0476.jpg
IMG_0477.jpg
.JPG | 93.5KB | IMG_0477.jpg
IMG_0470.jpg
.JPG | 101.8KB | IMG_0470.jpg

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 6:27 am

Looks like Mike was right about the leaves and the muck. Nasty stuff.

memco man

Post by memco man » Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 2:22 pm

Rob you have no ideal what is weird about this when I looked at the boiler it was down in the basement of this guys cellar hooked to his oil boiler and he said he had antifreeze in it and had been running it until 2014 I would hate to think what his zones look like I was think about putting a strainer on the output side just in case there is still more debris in the boil I had wood chips and what looked like kindling big pieces of paper bags news paper and we can not forget the fork by the way I also got the last tine of the fork out of there to, on the last two flushes the water was coming out pretty clear if any body has any other ideals on how to get the stuff out of there I am all ears.

Have a good day
memco man (Bill)

CoalisCoolxWarm
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 3:10 pm

Yuck. Looks like a flood victim boiler? With all that junk in there, I would recommend an air pressure test after cleaning and before going too much further.

Likely okay, but if not it could be really, really bad if you try to put it into service and have a rusted through chamber, weld, flange, etc.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 3:14 pm

Bill, I think if you hose it out really well, and scrape out the returns, that should do the job.

Hot water and some dish soap will help loosen that stuff up.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 3:14 pm

memco man wrote:
Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 2:22 pm
I also got the last tine of the fork out of there
For future reference, when things look too sketchy on a basement find, you always have the option to "get the fork out of there" with the unit still in the basement. Just sayin'... :lol:

Mike

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 7:11 pm

memco man wrote:
Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 2:22 pm
I had wood chips and what looked like kindling big pieces of paper bags news paper and we can not forget the fork by the way I also got the last tine of the fork out of there to, on the last two flushes the water was coming out pretty clear if any body has any other ideals on how to get the stuff out of there I am all ears.
Man, I don't think I've seen that much variety in boiler crap before!

If you can get it on its side, that would help get the crap off the bottom. upside down would be even better.
IMG_0808.JPG
.JPG | 493.6KB | IMG_0808.JPG
IMG_0812.JPG
.JPG | 613.6KB | IMG_0812.JPG
IMG_0851.JPG
.JPG | 459.2KB | IMG_0851.JPG
IMG_0866.JPG
.JPG | 266.9KB | IMG_0866.JPG
-Don

gaw
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 9:13 pm

Kitchen utensils, leaves, muck and two little girls, how did all that fit in there? Ideally they just look black inside. Maybe some little critters carried that stuff in there or some little kids thought it would be fun to drop that stuff inside. She must have sat somewhere unhooked and the holes unplugged.

memco man

Post by memco man » Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 10:38 pm

I will try this again don't know what happen everything disappeared. Don what is that stuff that you had on the table and how did you get it out of the boiler I don't know how flipping my boiler upside down would work there is only about an inch of space between the fire box and the outside wall I was getting my hose nozzle stuck when I was flushing it, and I would be able to flush on the right side return because on the other side they have blocked off the passage and make it go back to the right side this is a thought that I had Rob had mention hot water and soap I don't have a enough hot water to fill up the boiler so what I was thinking about doing is put the burner back together leave the DHW coil out of it fill it up again put the soap to it put the circulator back on fire up the burner get the water good and hot and circulate the water around with a strainer before the circulator or is that a not so good ideal I was thinking that would give me a chance to see how the burner was working as well also if I do I am not sure where to set my adjuster for the coal nine turns or five or would it matter if I am controlling it manually ?

Thanks again for your advice and knowledge

Bill

memco man

Post by memco man » Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 11:02 pm

Gaw that is what I am thinking I think that I am the third owner the guy that I got it from really seem like a really nice person I really don't think that he had any ideal what was in there I kinda feel sorry for him because this was tied to his oil boiler if some of this stuff didn't migrate to his boiler I would really be surprised. and he did tell me that the gear box was bad before I bought it.

Have a good evening
Bill

memco man

Post by memco man » Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 11:15 pm

Don I forgot to mention how much I liked your setup on the back of your truck that look pretty handy makes me want to do the same thing with my eng. hoist that was pretty neat how you flipped that boiler over how much did that thing weigh the hoist looked like it was handling it ok

Thanks again
Bill

memco man

Post by memco man » Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 11:39 pm

Pecowy I guess I guess the I can't argue with you there I still think I got a pretty good deal when I first got it home I pressurized it I filled it water and put 60 psi of air to it for Three hr or more and had no leaks so I think that it is a fairly solid unit just needs a lot of TLC I do have to do another pressure test though after I weld on the DHW tunnels They should be here In another day or two.
Thank for you help
Bill

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Tue. Nov. 14, 2017 9:01 am

You're welcome. Those things are pretty tough so you made a good bet.

Mike

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”