Difference between a Keystoker KA6 and KFA

memco man
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 KA-6 Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarms 504
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska liberty
Hand Fed Coal Stove: jotul NR 507, crane coal cooker 44, crane 404, chubby w/blower, chubby w/out blower, franco blege 10-475 Montgomery ward laundry stove Moore's Brother seventeen circulator stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/anthracite/pea
Other Heating: harman p68, elmtree,harthstone,new mack

Post by memco man » Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 10:48 pm

Thank you CoalJockey

memco man
Hand Fed Coal Stove: jotul NR 507, crane coal cooker 44, crane 404, chubby w/blower, chubby w/out blower, franco blege 10-475 Montgomery ward laundry stove Moore's Brother seventeen circulator stove

Post by memco man » Thu. Jan. 24, 2019 9:20 pm

Good evening everyone I hope that everyone is well I have been running the ka6 for about two weeks now and life is good it is really working well I have been burning rice and averaging about 80lbs a day (24hr) as cold as it has been up here the last two weeks I don't think that is two bad I have another question I just got my Dwyer Mark II manometer the red fluid and hose came with it but there is nothing to put into the fire box is there a special adapter that you buy or do you make one out of a copper tube also I was wondering what size hole you drill into the door my boiler is old enough that it did not come drilled.

Thank you for your help

M.M.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Thu. Jan. 24, 2019 9:46 pm

A lot of people use 1/8" copper or break line. The hole should be just barely big enough for the hard line to squeeze through.

-Don

memco man

Post by memco man » Thu. Jan. 24, 2019 10:01 pm

Thank you Don the hose that I have is a double line should I discard it and run a single tube?

Thank you
M.M.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Jan. 24, 2019 10:17 pm

It doesn't change the reading any if the hole doesn't fit tight. It's a 1/8" tube reading a 8" flue pipe...a little leak isn't a factor. :)
Last edited by McGiever on Thu. Jan. 24, 2019 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

memco man

Post by memco man » Thu. Jan. 24, 2019 10:37 pm

Thanks McGiever I am really liking the stoker it so nice to have a nice warm house again and not have to work at it so far I have not forgot to dump the ashes :D :lol: I really do like the hydrostat that thing really works when the weather warms up and there is not much demand it will drop the temp of the boiler until the demand is needed and then it will bring it back up pretty cool

Hope that all is well
M.M.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Wed. Jan. 30, 2019 12:58 pm

memco man wrote:
Thu. Jan. 24, 2019 10:01 pm
Thank you Don the hose that I have is a double line should I discard it and run a single tube?

Thank you
M.M.
I think you are describing the vinyl tubing?

Many of us grab no-kink brake line and bend it to run into the inspection door hole, plus one on the flue pipe (before baro) and connect the vinyl tubing over the brake line. Then can switch to check at either place by changing the vinyl tubing connection.

I leave a piece of vinyl tubing on the brake line on the gauge side and just switch it as needed. (After initial install, never really needed to change it, just over the fire measurement is fine)

If you check the baro install thread, you can see what I did on my KA6, as well as others have done.

If you need a pic, shout ;)

Welcome to the KA6 world :yes:

memco man

Post by memco man » Wed. Jan. 30, 2019 9:01 pm

Thank you CoalisCoolxWarm I will look up the baro install I am sure that I will enjoy it and also learn from it I am also enjoying the Ka6 it is worth every ounce of work and energy that I put into it. :yes:

Thanks again
M.M.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Wed. Jan. 30, 2019 9:46 pm

Agreed!

Here is a thread with 274 posts about manometer install. Surely you will find one you like :yes:

Manometer Install

memco man

Post by memco man » Fri. Feb. 01, 2019 7:56 pm

Thank you again I will look at it tonight I am going to install it tomorrow just sat down I put another 60 bags of Santa coal into the basement a bag at a time not to bad of a job just a lot of steps to go up and down

Thanks again
M.M

memco man

Post by memco man » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 9:33 pm

Hello every one I put the last peace onto the boiler I put a Dwyer mark II on the boiler I was pretty close on the draft it .03 now I have .02 here is some pictures of my set up
boiler manometer 3.jpg
.JPG | 53KB | boiler manometer 3.jpg
IMG_1044 manomeater2.jpg
.JPG | 64.1KB | IMG_1044 manomeater2.jpg

I want to thank eveyone for all the help and advice tha you all gave me

Thanks again

M.M.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 9:37 pm

Good Job there Bill !!! :yes: :clap:

memco man

Post by memco man » Mon. Feb. 04, 2019 10:12 pm

Thanks McGiever, it warmed up today and I think that I have it dialed in now I stayed home from work today because I was mot sure what was going to happen and as I thought the temp on the boiler went up when I first looked at it, it was up to 204*f and climbing, on my pins I was running 5 every 1/2 hour and 2 every 15 min. what I ended up with is 2 pins every half hour it went all after noon about 6 hours and the boiler did not go out I think that the little blower is keeping it going. I was wondering if anyone else has run there boiler on two pins every half hour and if so did the fire keep going or did it go out after awhile? When there is a heat call it seem to come right back to life, so I am thinking that is where it should be set

Thank you

M.M.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Feb. 05, 2019 6:12 am

Most guys run a 15 minute timer cycle on these units. You can probably get away with a 30 minute cycle in this weather, but in the spring/summer I don't think that would be enough.

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Tue. Feb. 05, 2019 5:28 pm

I run mine with 2 pins every 10min. 0, 10, 20,30. You need to watch when the weather flips, too little run time/draft will cause an out fire. Not a big deal if the boiler does not call for heat. If it does... You may end up with 200# of coal in the ash pan.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”