Difference between a Keystoker KA6 and KFA

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Wed. Jan. 24, 2018 11:58 pm

The new KA6 boiler has an 8” flue, not sure why they changed their mind. I had no problem getting the 9” to 8” adapter. The 9” baro was quite a bit more than the 8”. Welding an 8” pipe in to make it a permanent 8” flue would probably work but I only say that because I can’t think of a good reason why it wouldn’t especially since they have made the change themselves on the newer models of the same boiler. Good luck either way.

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Thu. Jan. 25, 2018 10:25 am

My K4 also has an 8" flue. IIRC the 8" single wall pipe will fit over the boiler flue outlet. Its a tight fit and requires some finagling but it will fit over. Just make sure that the OD of the flue outlet is clean from rust and scale or the pipe wont slide over.

memco man
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 KA-6 Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarms 504
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska liberty
Hand Fed Coal Stove: jotul NR 507, crane coal cooker 44, crane 404, chubby w/blower, chubby w/out blower, franco blege 10-475 Montgomery ward laundry stove Moore's Brother seventeen circulator stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/anthracite/pea
Other Heating: harman p68, elmtree,harthstone,new mack

Post by memco man » Thu. Jan. 25, 2018 6:59 pm

Thank you for the information still not sure what I am going to do probable order a reducer it will be a quicker and easer install the way I am going it will be spring before I get the boiler going :oops:

Thanks again
Bill

memco man
Hand Fed Coal Stove: jotul NR 507, crane coal cooker 44, crane 404, chubby w/blower, chubby w/out blower, franco blege 10-475 Montgomery ward laundry stove Moore's Brother seventeen circulator stove

Post by memco man » Mon. Jan. 29, 2018 9:21 pm

Good evening everyone well I had a pretty good weekend my son and I got the rubble out of the basement I also got the boiler moved into its final resting spot and leveled I also got the tin work back on, and stoker in place and started the wiring looks like I have to start from scratch on the wiring they had all the aqua stats located in the wrong places and no bypass loop either so am working on that,
I was wondering if someone with an older ka6 could tell me where the low water shutoff port is my boiler is a 1981 in the drawing that I have they show the Triple aquastat port and right under that port is the low water port but on mine I don't have that port any help with that would be appreciated also in some of threads I have seen some discussions on triple aquastat mine is missing so am going to have to buy a new one not sure if I should go digital or stay with a old mechanical

Here is some pictures of my progress thanks again for your help

Bill M.M
IMG_0574.jpg
.JPG | 53.6KB | IMG_0574.jpg
IMG_0575.jpg
.JPG | 59.4KB | IMG_0575.jpg
IMG_0575.jpg
.JPG | 59.4KB | IMG_0575.jpg
IMG_0576.jpg
.JPG | 53.1KB | IMG_0576.jpg
IMG_0578.jpg
.JPG | 36.1KB | IMG_0578.jpg
IMG_0578.jpg
.JPG | 36.1KB | IMG_0578.jpg
IMG_0582.jpg
.JPG | 64.7KB | IMG_0582.jpg
IMG_0583.jpg
.JPG | 64.3KB | IMG_0583.jpg

Attachments

IMG_0577.jpg
.JPG | 63.5KB | IMG_0577.jpg

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jan. 30, 2018 4:59 am

I would just add a tee into the supply riser for the low water cutoff.

gaw

Post by gaw » Tue. Jan. 30, 2018 5:10 am

There was no low water shut off on the older ones.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Tue. Jan. 30, 2018 6:56 am

Bill

On the aquastat question...that is a catch 22. We boiler-heads on the forum are running both the mechanicals and the Hydrostat type and the opinions of these vary pretty widely. The mechanical type seem to be the most reliable, however the Hydrostats have been known to save fuel... I can testify to the fuel savings. I think Keystoker may leave the factory now with Hydrostat controls but that I’m not certain of.

We did learn that the Hydrostat has been through quite a few revisions since they were first introduced and seems like the general opinion is that they are a lot more reliable than in the past. In a few more seasons I will know for certain but so far I am well pleased.

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Tue. Jan. 30, 2018 7:01 am

A hydrostat 3250+ came with my kaa-4 and has worked perfectly for 2 years. It also doubles as my low water cutoff with the use of an electrowell.

memco man

Post by memco man » Tue. Jan. 30, 2018 10:39 pm

Thanks you again for the information everyone it sounds like that the hydrostat controls is the way that the industry is moving sorta like electronics and emissions in the auto and trucking industry (I hope that it works better then it has in the trucking industry) ;)
I pulled the stoker body off again tonight and sealed it up with hi temp silicon I don't know if I needed to do that but thought that it was a good ideal to put some sort of sealer around the base

I hope that everybody has a good day tomorrow
Bill M.M.

memco man

Post by memco man » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 12:12 am

Good evening all I just came up from the basement I just got the stoker put back together with the new gear box I think that I got the pusher installed right I have it at the even with the coal depth plate at maximum throw I am not sure if there is a procedure that you follow to set it up if anyone has any information about this I would appreciate some help with this pretty sure that I got it right but not sure.
I went with the hydrostat thought that I would give it a try (thanks coaljocky for the information on this.)
I also picked up a 8" schedule 40 pipe 6" long I thought that I could slide it right into the exhaust the OD measured 8 5/8" but it would not quite slide in so I took it into work and though I could put it on the brake lath but that worked like a fart in church :roll: luckily I have a friend that is a machinist and he is going to cut it down for me I was going to weld it in place but change my mine I think that I will use furnace cement and a few bolts that way if I have to take it apart I wont have to cut it apart here is some more pictures of the stoker

Thanks again everyone for all your help
Bill M.M.
IMG_0586.jpg
.JPG | 58.6KB | IMG_0586.jpg
IMG_0585.jpg
.JPG | 49.3KB | IMG_0585.jpg

gaw

Post by gaw » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 11:09 pm

memco man wrote:
Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 12:12 am
Good evening all I just came up from the basement I just got the stoker put back together with the new gear box I think that I got the pusher installed right I have it at the even with the coal depth plate at maximum throw I am not sure if there is a procedure that you follow to set it up if anyone has any information about this I would appreciate some help with this pretty sure that I got it right but not sure.
It should 3/4" from the throat strap at it's most forward position. This is easy to do if you just use a piece of 3/4" board as a guage. Even with the throat strap will probably result in feed problems.

memco man

Post by memco man » Thu. Feb. 08, 2018 9:23 pm

gaw thank you very much I will readjust the pusher that would have been a real drag if I had put it all together and filled the hopper and not feed enough coal on to the grates here is a dumb question is the throat where the slide plate is that adjust the depth of the bed?

Thanks again
Bill M.M.

gaw

Post by gaw » Thu. Feb. 08, 2018 10:58 pm

This is from the latest manual available on the Keystoker website.
Throat bar height to be 1-3/4”
to 2” (Part #11). Pusher bar
(Part #12) to be approximately
¾” behind the face (flat part)
of throat bar when in its most
forward position with feed nut
The throat strap is the cast piece that sits above the grates. There is a bolt tapped into it on either side in a slotted hole to allow for up or down adjustment. I know on mine the slot will allow for adjustment outside of the spec in both directions so use care in setting it, a wood block of 1 3/4" - 2" could be used.

memco man

Post by memco man » Fri. Feb. 09, 2018 4:17 pm

Thank you again gaw that is a big help I am going to set it up right now.

Bill M.M.

memco man

Post by memco man » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 10:19 pm

Good evening all well it ha been a while since posted anything, I have started with the piping which is going pretty good I do have another question I could not find a reducing tee the goes from 1" to 1/2" so I adapted it down but it will put the hi limit controller well to far back and it will not be in the flow I am thing that I should go back to having a 1" tee and put a 1" to 1/2" reducer bushing in it (dose the well need to be in the flow or should it be set back so it dose not interfere with the flow?) I also am having a hard time finding a expansion tank to go above it I have a big one that is about 30 or 40 gal. but don't have room for it in the basement I have F.W. Webb looking foe a smaller one but so far I have not heard back from them I have some pictures of the adaptor I made for the exhaust I think that it going to work really good. here is some more pictures of my progress I getting close to the finish line
IMG_0602.jpg
.JPG | 58.3KB | IMG_0602.jpg
IMG_0603.jpg
.JPG | 67.1KB | IMG_0603.jpg
IMG_0605.jpg
.JPG | 56.1KB | IMG_0605.jpg
IMG_0592.jpg

this is the exhaust adaptor

.JPG | 42KB | IMG_0592.jpg
I hope that I have the pluming done by next weekend

Have a good weekend

Bill M.M.