EFM 520 coal grinding in auger extension

billw

Post by billw » Thu. Oct. 12, 2017 12:30 pm

Hi all,
I've been a member for a long while but have been inactive for many years. In 2008 I installed a refurbed EFM 520. The thing is like a workhorse. Recently I've had my first problem other than a rock that broke a shear pin a few years ago. The coal is getting ground up in the auger tube for the last couple of weeks. So far I dug out the bin side of the auger, cleaned all of the fines surrounding it, let the fire go out by starving it of fuel. This cleaned out the auger. Relit it the next day. It ran normally for a day then it started running rough again. I took the auger tube apart at the extension again. It was full of ground up coal. When I dug the auger tip out I glanced at it. The flutes seemed flat and the pipe end wasn't rotted.

I am thinking because the extension is jammed up with ground coal I missed something when I looked at the end. Is there another reason I'm unaware of for coal getting ground up? I hate just throwing a new auger and pipe on it without being reasonably sure that's the problem.

Thanks for any responses

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning # 500
Baseburners & Antiques: Peninsular Western Hot Blast No.44K and Reading Foundry & Supply Co.

Post by fifthg » Thu. Oct. 12, 2017 2:38 pm

Are you getting the two ends of pipe tightly butted together under the coupler?If not,it will grind there.When you were in at the pipes,were they of even wall thickness,not razor sharp on an edge?If walls are worn away,grinding starts there too.You say the auger is good,how far does it extend into bin?4” is good,too much will grind coal

billw

Post by billw » Thu. Oct. 12, 2017 2:57 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Yes the two ends butt together evenly. The auger is out around 4 -6 inches. It's been feeding well for 9 years. That's why I suspect something is worn. I think I will expose the bin side of the auger again to take a better look. I only glanced at it. There wasn't any obvious pipe rot and the auger flutes looked flat.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Oct. 12, 2017 4:10 pm

Check the inside of the pipe for pitting.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Thu. Oct. 12, 2017 4:33 pm

billw wrote:
Thu. Oct. 12, 2017 2:57 pm
Thanks for the reply.
Yes the two ends butt together evenly. The auger is out around 4 -6 inches. It's been feeding well for 9 years. That's why I suspect something is worn.
x2 on the pitting.

Also, the grinding action of a 6" auger may affect some coals more than others. If it's really that long you should trim it.

Mike

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Oct. 12, 2017 7:38 pm

Pacowy wrote:
Thu. Oct. 12, 2017 4:33 pm
billw wrote:
Thu. Oct. 12, 2017 2:57 pm
Thanks for the reply.
Yes the two ends butt together evenly. The auger is out around 4 -6 inches. It's been feeding well for 9 years. That's why I suspect something is worn.
x2 on the pitting.

Also, the grinding action of a 6" auger may affect some coals more than others. If it's really that long you should trim it.

Mike
Agreed. 2.5 flights of auger past the pipe is perfect.

billw

Post by billw » Thu. Nov. 16, 2017 2:14 pm

Just a quick update. I changed the bin pipe and the problem is resolved. The inside of the pipe was loaded with a rusty scale. Some was a 1/4" thick. Was kinda strange because the outside still had all of the paint intact.

I want to thank you all for the responses. This is one of the most helpful places on the internet. Thanks again.

Bill

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”