KA6 install help needed for self install noob

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Fri. Dec. 22, 2017 10:09 pm

12-20# is the boiler pressure. DHW will be from 30-60# depending on your water setup.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Dec. 22, 2017 10:18 pm

House Pressure to coil. Tough to do daily water tasks with anything less.

not2bad

Post by not2bad » Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 7:03 pm

Finally ready to fire up. Its going to be real cold high in 20's to low in teens to near single digit. I read to set hydro stat hi 180 lo 160 for now for winter. My question now, of course, is what is a good start setting for timer pins. I can't find much info on pin settings. I understand it will be trial and error for a bit to zero in on what I need once i get going but not sure where to start. Thanks and I do hope you all have a Merry Christmas!!

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 7:50 pm

Nice!

A Christmas fire-up, nothing like it!

In this cold weather the timer shouldn't be a big deal. I would start at 1 minute every 15 minutes.

Merry Christmas!

-Don

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 10:32 pm

It depends on how strong your draft is. I have mine set at 3 pins every 7-8min. This seems to keep the fire active and recovery is quick. Running Lehigh rice I am 14 turns out on the feed rate. I hold -.02 to -.03 during idle.

not2bad

Post by not2bad » Thu. Dec. 28, 2017 8:42 am

Up and running. A few glitches but not too bad. With this cold almost wish I would have went with the k8 but I have little insulation so that will be next. Thanks to all for your help!! Greatly appreciated!!..

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Dec. 29, 2017 8:15 am

not2bad wrote:
Thu. Dec. 28, 2017 8:42 am
Up and running. A few glitches but not too bad. With this cold almost wish I would have went with the k8 but I have little insulation so that will be next. Thanks to all for your help!! Greatly appreciated!!..
Focus on air sealing first. Any air leaks into the attic should be #1, air leaks in basement should be #2.

not2bad

Post by not2bad » Fri. Dec. 29, 2017 9:34 am

For sure. It's been single digits to teens for a while now and I have some icicles coming off roof. So far, so good though. Eating more coal than I thought it would, but seems to be doing pretty well. No real unburned coal except at startup. Time will tell. It's sure a whole lot better than all electric. Trying to heat with 2 air handlers using only auxillary coils for heat. The guy who remodeled this place with his so-called half-rearend workmanship and talents had bragged to my neighbors how he was such a star remodeler was not so good to say the least. No wonder why he was sued by some customers he had done work on and lost his license. This is a really helpful forum and I've gotten all the answers and info I've needed right along. Many thanks!!

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Dec. 29, 2017 9:56 am

not2bad wrote:
Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 1:37 am
Thanks. What does the 4006b aquastat in the bypass loop connect to?
It is connected in parallel with the thermostat wires of your dump zone.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Dec. 29, 2017 9:57 am

not2bad wrote:
Fri. Dec. 29, 2017 9:34 am
For sure. It's been single digits to teens for a while now and I have some icicles coming off roof. So far, so good though. Eating more coal than I thought it would, but seems to be doing pretty well. No real unburned coal except at startup. Time will tell. It's sure a whole lot better than all electric. Trying to heat with 2 air handlers using only auxillary coils for heat. The guy who remodeled this place with his so-called half-rearend workmanship and talents had bragged to my neighbors how he was such a star remodeler was not so good to say the least. No wonder why he was sued by some customers he had done work on and lost his license. This is a really helpful forum and I've gotten all the answers and info I've needed right along. Many thanks!!
I am not sure how much coal you were expecting to burn, but heating a poorly insulated 300 sq.ft house is going to take a fair amount.

not2bad

Post by not2bad » Fri. Dec. 29, 2017 12:41 pm

Yes it is going to obviously now, I don't use a lot of space being by myself right now so the temp is set lower on the one side of the house which helps. I did notice an area of the house with some attic insulation is warmer, so that's what's needing done for sure. All takes time and money. At least my electric bill should be better...a lot better. Thanks.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 1:20 am

Congratulations! It will take a few days to get your house warmed to where you want it and all the water to be heated, etc. Maybe not *days* but it will feel like it.

Don't set your temps back more than a few degrees and if it is really cold and your insulation is as you say, hold your temp at the comfort level. We're dropping into negative night temps this next week which can really increase your heat loads.

Good luck!

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”