GJ/EFM Install....finally done

skobydog
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite

Post by skobydog » Wed. Sep. 13, 2017 8:46 pm

This is my first ever boiler installation. I knew nothing about boilers two years ago and because of the people here I believe I pulled it off. I'm just a home owner who learning things like this. I could have made it simpler but at least it's done now.

I'm posting this because past installation threads really helped me. There have been a number of members here who have also helped so thanks again.

This was the final design. I spent a lot of time working this out and it changed many times while I was building it.
Final Installation.jpg

Final Installation

.JPG | 37.3KB | Final Installation.jpg
I used two moving dollies and two car floor jacks to roll the boiler into place. I moved this by myself and it worked. It almost tipped over once. :o
00001.jpg

Unloading and rolling into place

.JPG | 134.5KB | 00001.jpg
Had to put in an 8" flue. I used a diamond blade circular saw to get through the cinder block and a 4" diamond blade cut off wheel to get through the terra cotta liner. I've used hammer drills in the past but I found the cut off wheel much easier.
00002.jpg

Chimney

.JPG | 81.4KB | 00002.jpg
These were old 3/4" supply and return manifolds I scavenged from an older boiler. Everything worked so I cleaned them up with ketchup.
00003.jpg

Supply Return

.JPG | 142.2KB | 00003.jpg
Building out the supply side. Paid attention to the 18" before the air scoop. I overbuilt this with (3) 1" supply and returns plus the (3) 3/4" supply/returns.
00004.2.jpg
.JPG | 80.3KB | 00004.2.jpg
Front view with return lines mocked up.
00004.3.jpg
.JPG | 118.8KB | 00004.3.jpg

Worked on the return manifold. The electrical was started. Painted the masonry wall too.
00004.4.jpg
.JPG | 84.8KB | 00004.4.jpg

I added this picture. I read a post where someone said to install an overhead light. That made a world of difference with the rest of the install.
00005.jpg
.JPG | 75.9KB | 00005.jpg
It's starting to look like I'm making progress here. The 3/4 manifolds were added from the scavenged boiler. Had to redo some of the copper pipe though. I used a few unions to remove the 3/4 manifolds if/when needed.

The tricky part of the piping was the hot air furnace duct above.
0006.jpg
.JPG | 85.3KB | 0006.jpg
Wired the aquastat. Rather than wire the stoker and circulator directly I put ran wires to the junction box below so I can unplug either one and plug directly into the outlet nearby. Just have to remember not to mix them up.
0009.jpg
.JPG | 76.4KB | 0009.jpg
Working on the water supply. What a waste of time trying to reuse 1/2" valves.

I was able to salvage the back flow and pressure reducing valves. Neither worked so I pulled them all apart and cleaned the insides. They worked after that. :)
00071.jpg
.JPG | 94.1KB | 00071.jpg

Electrical done and the return is nearly complete.
00072.jpg
.JPG | 75.1KB | 00072.jpg
All the black iron and copper work is completed. Next it's time to install pex......the color of the boiler looks different in this pic. :stfu:
000091.jpg
.JPG | 76.9KB | 000091.jpg
Pex install.
0000941.2.jpg
.JPG | 54.4KB | 0000941.2.jpg
Color coded the circulator and stoker plugs with paint. That aquastat cover is wrong so bungee corded it on. Also have a barbque thermometer in the chimney stack and another thermometer to see what return temps are. Probably didn't need the purge/fill valve but it works well.

Circulator pump did not work initially. I found it in a junk pile at my oil friend's company. I pulled it apart and gave it a spin to free it up and it works. I like "free" when it comes to plumbing. Hopefully I can get a few seasons out of it.
0000941.7.jpg
.JPG | 142.8KB | 0000941.7.jpg
Supply and Return complete. There's a 1" supply line with manual valve coming off the manifold that goes to my modine-style garage heater. I didn't want to spend an extra $150 putting in a zone valve and thermostat. Not many members here approved of it but for now it works. I'm only going to use when I'm working in there. I'll have to plug in the heater fan manually also when I use it.
0000941.6.jpg
.JPG | 134.8KB | 0000941.6.jpg
Boiler install is completed.
20170913_183750.jpg
.JPG | 129.1KB | 20170913_183750.jpg

I am still working on a coal bin and a delivery system to fill it.

I need to familiarize myself with air and tooth counts, hi lo settings on the aquastat, and the settings for my fan limit switch for the radiator in my furnace plenum.

I'm also playing with furnace fan settings to pull off enough heat from the radiator while keeping total external static pressure within furnace specs.

Overall this was a fun project. What I like best is that I know everything about this system and can now work on it. Thanks everyone for all your help.

unhippy
Stoker Coal Boiler: MK2 #1

Post by unhippy » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 2:03 am

Nicely done......now you just have to wait for winter to hit so you can enjoy your hard work :D

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 5:25 am

unhippy wrote:Nicely done......now you just have to wait for winter to hit so you can enjoy your hard work :D
The wait won't be too long. Winter seems to be right around the corner. Your install looks real nice!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 5:40 am

Looking good. The only changes I suggest are to replace the romex with armored cable, and to replace that piece of pex in the bypass with iron or copper. I am pretty sure armored able is required by code, and is a good idea regardless. Pex lengthens considerably when it gets hot, and does not support itself - although it would probably be fine, I would not feel great about the piece of pex next to the flue pipe...especially if the boiler overshoots the aquastat settings.

I would guess the stoker came to you with the feed already set...probably at 4 or 5 teeth, and the air around 4.5 - that will work fine for getting things fired up.

skobydog

Post by skobydog » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 6:39 am

Rob R. wrote:Looking good. The only changes I suggest are to replace the romex with armored cable, and to replace that piece of pex in the bypass with iron or copper. I am pretty sure armored able is required by code, and is a good idea regardless. Pex lengthens considerably when it gets hot, and does not support itself - although it would probably be fine, I would not feel great about the piece of pex next to the flue pipe...especially if the boiler overshoots the aquastat settings.

I would guess the stoker came to you with the feed already set...probably at 4 or 5 teeth, and the air around 4.5 - that will work fine for getting things fired up.
I really do hate the cable I'm using for the circulator and stoker. That's an easy fix so I'll change that.

"pex next to the flue pipe".... I just measured the pipe. I think I can switch the pex and iron to have the pex on top of the boiler and the iron next to the flue pipe. :yes:

I'll try 4 or 5 teeth/ 4/5 air.

I'm not entirely sure what settings to start out with on the aquastat. I have it at 150 lo, 190 hi, 15 differential which is close to what I've been reading here.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 7:38 pm

Ah, so that's what you've been doing for the past few months. Can't wait to see a fire in its belly!

You might get some stink using just the short feed pipe into a bucket. A lid should take care of it though.

-Don

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Sep. 15, 2017 6:17 am

I am not a fan of using just the pot auger, but some guys make it work. Depends on your draft and how high the feed/air needs to be set. If you intend to feed it out of a drum, look for a 55 gallon drum with a lid.

skobydog

Post by skobydog » Fri. Sep. 15, 2017 10:32 am

I have enough room for the longer auger.

I'm thinking of using a 250 gallon oil tank cut in half sideways for my coal bin. I'll have a couple of 55 gallon barrels and the other half of the 250 gallon tank for storage containers outside.

When it's time to refill I'll use my back hoe to lift storage containers into my truck, back the truck up to the bin, and use gravity to refill. I have to do some measurements before I cut my 250 gallon tank to make sure I'm not too high but something like this should work.

Anyone ever cut an oil tank in half?

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Fri. Sep. 15, 2017 10:51 am

With plenty of overhead clearance, I used an oil tank on its end, with the other end cut off. Worked very well. Had small trap door under auger end to clear fines, etc. Obviously, need to get rid of all flammable residue before trying to cut tank.

Mike

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning # 500
Baseburners & Antiques: Peninsular Western Hot Blast No.44K and Reading Foundry & Supply Co.

Post by fifthg » Fri. Sep. 15, 2017 10:59 am

[quote

Anyone ever cut an oil tank in half?[/quote]
Many have cut oil tanks in half,and some have survived.Using a torch is very dangerous,because the oil residue will volatilize and explode,if you are not very careful.Removing oxygen by pumping auto exhaust in while cutting can help greatly with that method.Better and safer probably to use sawzall or reciprocating saw.You still should run exhaust gas in to remove oxygen,to be safe.Better to let someone experienced do the cutting maybe.

skobydog

Post by skobydog » Fri. Sep. 15, 2017 11:37 am

Didn't realize it but just checked the tank. It's been sitting outside empty for over 6 months and is still filled with gasses.

When my friend was young he tried to dry out a gas tank from his car with a hair dryer......boom

Any guesses on minimal degree rice coal needs to flow downhill naturally through pvc pipe?

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Sep. 15, 2017 11:53 am

Bottled CO2 or Nitrogen...
Or water will also work...
The explosive VAPOR is what makes the big bang...
1oz of gasoline vaporized in a 5gal tote...
BOOM!

skobydog

Post by skobydog » Fri. Sep. 15, 2017 12:03 pm

skobydog wrote:
Any guesses on minimal degree rice coal needs to flow downhill naturally through pvc pipe?

Won't be able to use pvc pipe.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Fri. Sep. 15, 2017 1:46 pm

Why not on the PVC pipe???

I had a 3.5 ton storage bin in my garage for rice that I emptied probably 10 times over the years, 80% of that coal flowed through a single 4 inch piece of PVC pipe and into a 5 gallon bucket. Buckwheat would slide even better = less fines.

Likely a 45 degree angle or a pinch less.

skobydog

Post by skobydog » Fri. Sep. 15, 2017 2:07 pm

CoalJockey wrote:Why not on the PVC pipe???
Between the height of truck bed and top of coal bin it will be hard I may be able to. Ill know bether when i have the bin in place..

Sawzall with a worn out blade. Sprayed water inside not sure it did anything. Went slow and cooled the blade down every 6 inches of cut. Faster blade speed was better but I chickened out and slowed it dow.

And that is a motorcycle helmet. :D
20170915_135856.jpg
.JPG | 173.4KB | 20170915_135856.jpg

Basic idea...top of coal bin 35"......truck bed height 34 ".....just have have filling bin elevated a bit in back of truck.

15054993992901610829674.jpg
.JPG | 110.9KB | 15054993992901610829674.jpg

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”