Axeman 130 and Eshland 130 Dissections

junkman

Post by junkman » Wed. Jun. 25, 2008 8:39 pm

Matthaus wrote:Found one item requiring repair on the Eshland. The fire pot lower ring is cracked on two spots. Nothing a little welding won't fix. :)
Do you know how old the boiler is? It looks like the crack runs through the horizontal weld into the water jacket. Is this something that happens to these boilers on a regular basis? I was looking to purchase a new AHS 130. I researched this boiler and looked at them at the factory. I was concerned with this same area warping or cracking due to not having any cooling in the ring area that protudes below water jacket.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Wed. Jun. 25, 2008 9:53 pm

junkman wrote:Do you know how old the boiler is? It looks like the crack runs through the horizontal weld into the water jacket. Is this something that happens to these boilers on a regular basis? I was looking to purchase a new AHS 130. I researched this boiler and looked at them at the factory. I was concerned with this same area warping or cracking due to not having any cooling in the ring area that protrudes below water jacket.
The crack doesn't extend to the water jacket area. This is the first one I have seen like this, usually they just erode around the edge requiring a repair patch to replace the worn area. :)

scrapper_23jr
Verified Business Rep.

Post by scrapper_23jr » Thu. Jun. 26, 2008 10:31 pm

matt, just found out tonight at the bar,oh thats right im not supposed to be at the bar, well anyway I found out from a guy I know that he is getting a new 130 in about 8 weeks, he was going to trash the old one but after talking and buying him a couple he guarenteed that he will let me know when and I can pick up the old one if I buy him a couple cases of brew, let you know when I get it and consider it yours, I will be thirsty till I get it out and get it to the shop for you. scrapper.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Thu. Jun. 26, 2008 10:40 pm

Scrapper Don't you move that 130 with out help better yet don't touch it
I will come down and take it back to the shop for you doctors orders ;)

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Thu. Jun. 26, 2008 11:54 pm

Hey scrapper, will be down with 2 24 packs of old Milwaukee this weekend, you won't be thirsty and you can supervise coal berner and I in the shop. ;)

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Fri. Jun. 27, 2008 7:48 am

You're getting it for two cases of beer? I bid three! ;)

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Fri. Jun. 27, 2008 3:08 pm

Matthaus wrote:Hey scrapper, will be down with 2 24 packs of old Milwaukee this weekend, you won't be thirsty and you can supervise coal berner and I in the shop. ;)
You better make it 2 30 packs of Old Mil maybe 3 :lol:

junkman

Post by junkman » Sun. Jun. 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Matthaus wrote:
junkman wrote:Do you know how old the boiler is? It looks like the crack runs through the horizontal weld into the water jacket. Is this something that happens to these boilers on a regular basis? I was looking to purchase a new AHS 130. I researched this boiler and looked at them at the factory. I was concerned with this same area warping or cracking due to not having any cooling in the ring area that protrudes below water jacket.
The crack doesn't extend to the water jacket area. This is the first one I have seen like this, usually they just erode around the edge requiring a repair patch to replace the worn area. :)
Do you have any idea how long until they require patching in the lower ring area?

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sun. Jun. 29, 2008 6:33 pm

I would say based on my experience of 9 AA boilers and 1 Eshland that some may never require a repair, I just delivered a 1954 AA130 that had never been touched and was perfect. I think it depends on the coal being used, set up of the controls (use of a dump zone to limit overtemp), and temperature that the boiler is run at. I also think it may be the luck of the draw and some might last better than others depending on the quality of the steel used.

So bottom line, you should clean and inspect every year and any small erosion should be taken care of before it develops into bigger problems. :)

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”