LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Mon. Jan. 16, 2017 5:12 am

[

I know what you mean, I get something similar when my EFM runs for long periods, but it does not cause any issues...Here is a picture of this mornings ash tub (Lehigh rice).
IMG_20170114_115655945.jpg
If I had a LL or Keystoker, I would burn buck in it nearly all the time.[/quote]

Agreed I have an Alaska and burn nothing but buckwheat.

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Mon. Jan. 16, 2017 5:21 am

True Matt, it is just a continuous sheet of trough formed fused ash. But,none the less is not desirable.
It can get long enough that when the weight finally can allow it to snap off, it can bring some active fire parts with it into the ash pan.
Or maybe worse, is doesn't snap off and stops butted up against the door/wall and backs up the feeding of coal or cause it to push coal over the sides...It is best this gets corrected no matter what it might be actually called. :)[/quote]

I know it isn't desireable, but clinkers are generally low fusion coal and caking is not is what I was getting at. Hopefully we can help him get this figured out. I had this problem years ago with rice in my Alaska years ago, I switched to buck at that time and haven't had an issue since, it seems common with rice in these types of burners. A friend of mine had the same issue with a Reading stove 2 years ago, he now mixes buck and rice and problem is eliminated. It seems this has something to do with the air, I also noticed if the ash band is large it gets worse. When he calls me we will see what we can do....

Burnin2nd
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker 90
Other Heating: QuadaFire classicbay 1200 pellet stove

Post by Burnin2nd » Wed. Jan. 23, 2019 9:37 am

Hey guys, Quick question

Ive got a keystoker90 been running solid for about 5 years (i think this its 5th season)

i recently experienced my first clinker, she bridged right to the glass

Ive been buying rice coal from the same guy since day one, Now this is where im at, I noticed my damper was closed i thought that was weird (the clinker happen) i took off my plenum to the duct work, opened the service panel to the power vent (its direct vent top thru a basement wall) The little exhaust port way about the size of a quarter, vacuumed it clean (* it was idle) closed it back up.. the barametric damper then went back to how it was normally (i had messed with the damper weight, but i put it back to how it was )

Im still getting the clinkers when running full out for days (we have been in the negatives for a few days now)

This morning was the first time i was able to cool it off, shut it down.. clean it out...

i did make some adjustments to the pusher screw backing it off one turn at time for a few days in a row b4 i got to this point,

I found that the one screw on the grate looked like it had backed out a little (i screwed that in)
i found the exhaust inside the burn box was pretty dirty,

its coming up to temp now, But beside a change in coal from last season to now, what else should i be looking for

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Jan. 23, 2019 10:07 am

Different coals have different Fusion Temps. Red ash being lower fusion temp than white ash.
Burning not so hot of fire may help...cutting back on air or feed or both can burn slightly cooler.
Buying only white ash coal helps avoid this also, although some people still do prefer and seek the red ash.

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Wed. Jan. 23, 2019 11:42 am

McGiever wrote:
Wed. Jan. 23, 2019 10:07 am
Different coals have different Fusion Temps. Red ash being lower fusion temp than white ash.
Burning not so hot of fire may help...cutting back on air or feed or both can burn slightly cooler.
Buying only white ash coal helps avoid this also, although some people still do prefer and seek the red ash.
McGiever is correct! It is almost always cut back on the air. Think of is as the coal being a piece of steel, and the air being that of a blow torch. When you have very high air in pushing through your coal the coal melts as opposed to burning.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”