Constant Circulation System

jrv8984
Other Heating: Blaze King Princess

Post by jrv8984 » Thu. Feb. 02, 2017 4:44 pm

yep, figured I could get different advice from people with different perspectives.

TAMNOZ

Post by TAMNOZ » Fri. Feb. 03, 2017 2:44 pm

I used to heat with a heat pump, I tapped my Keystoker Koker into the outgoing air duct. I leave the blower in the heat exchanger run 24/7 to circulate the air. when the Keystoker fan cranks up then it pushes additional hot air into the system, keeps my 2800 sq/ft log home quite toasty all winter long.
Jim

jrv8984

Post by jrv8984 » Mon. Feb. 06, 2017 10:12 am

So I am going to have 2 circulators in parallel through 1" iron pipe, when I recombine them can I use a 1-1/4" flow check, have the one circulator flow straight through, and the other would flow through the bottom. Or is this a bad idea?

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Mon. Feb. 06, 2017 10:52 am

Why are you using two circulators? When you say recombine them
are you saying you are going to use the 1 1/4 pipe as a return pipe to
the boiler for both circulators?

If you are intending to use two circulators you can buy them with
internal check valves which reduces the volume per minute a bit.

Have you talked to a TACO or B+G Representative about your proposed system?

jrv8984

Post by jrv8984 » Mon. Feb. 06, 2017 11:37 am

Spoke to a bunch of companies reps, which is where the parallel circ idea evolved from.
My 1.25" supply from the boiler gets split into two 1" pipes to the parallel circulators, then they recombine into a 1.25" pipe to the house. This was done to get a higher flow capacity because the next size circulator would have been overkill, and over 3 times the cost.
My circs have the flow checks, but I would prefer to use a regular one, so my thought was instead of recombining in a tee, and then go through a flow check, that I could skip the tee and use the flow check to bring the circulators piping back together. I have everything just figured it could cut down on a little piping and fittings. If it's a bad idea I won't do it.

Also, how close or far away from the boiler should the low water cutoff be placed, same goes for the supply temp sensor well?

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Mon. Feb. 06, 2017 7:19 pm

Both the Low Water Cut Off and the Triple Aquastat Sensor Well need to be installed in the steam chest of the AHS 260. The AHS installation manual will tell you which tapping's to use for those two independent controls.

You should contact Greentech who is an AHS representative who visits the board often for definite answers if your unit is not brand new and shiny.

OH, if it is brand new be aware that the direct drive combustion fan has had its problems with bearing failures in the past and many folks have the belt driven fans now either in new units or purchasing the belt drive combustion fan system to replace the direct drive combustion fans.

I do not remember off hand if they solved the issue with better parts or lower combustion temperatures but any AHS owner like Larry and Green Tech could tell you directly.

jrv8984

Post by jrv8984 » Mon. Feb. 06, 2017 8:16 pm

the sensor isn't for the triple aquastat, its for adding a tekmar 260.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Feb. 06, 2017 8:26 pm

Do you intend to strip the AHS 260 of its controls and replace them with the Techmar unit?

AHS coal guns come pre-wired to monitor their own internal temperature only, and fire or idle accordingly. They have no means by which to interface with T-Stats or outside reset controls, and have no need of interfacing with these.

My T-Stats open and close my zone valves and start/stop my circulator. My boiler is totally oblivious to all of this. And since it only fires on internal temperature, it always purges itself of excess heat before firing. No need to pay money for fancy controls which are intended to accomplish this goal.

And for Leon: There is no triple aquastat on an AHS Coal Gun.

jrv8984

Post by jrv8984 » Tue. Feb. 07, 2017 7:33 pm

Yeah, I'm gonna get it running as, and see how it works out, then decided if I want to change it over to the tekmar for outdoor reset. Not sure if I'm gonna do it or not, just want to have the few things in place, ie. sensor well, so it will be easier to convert if I want to.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”