Coal Gun S- 130 Install

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jan. 29, 2017 3:50 pm

FirstcoalstokerRon wrote: Pipe coming out of boiler is I 1/4 and I want ball valves before and after each pump, must I us 1 I/4 valves, can I use 3/4 valves with reducers then into 1 1/4 pipe ? All advise will be appreciated and thanks again! If this all won't work please tell me
Use 1" valves and enlargers to 1-1/4".

It will work.

FirstcoalstokerRon
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S-130
Coal Size/Type: pea/anthracite

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Sun. Jan. 29, 2017 4:31 pm

Thanks McGiever for ALL of u help. As 1 inch is cheaper than 1-1/4 and I wilL be back with more dumb questions soon THANKS AGAIN

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jan. 29, 2017 8:52 pm

The price of 1" valves and reducers may be the same as 1.25" valves. Check before you purchase.

Your piping questions would be easier to understand if you could post a diagram.

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Sun. Jan. 29, 2017 11:52 pm

Rob R. wrote:The price of 1" valves and reducers may be the same as 1.25" valves. Check before you purchase.

Your piping questions would be easier to understand if you could post a diagram.
Thanks Rob I will check. As you know I am I new to coal heat and was looking for help to install my AHS 1-30 with out a lot of knowledge when I found this forum. What I have learned has been from reading here thanks to you guys. But I am also new to this forum and asking questions, so if I do anything wrong I hope you will forgive my mistakes and help me learn. I have no idea how to post pics or diagrams but I will try and read about it and when I learn how I will post as needed. I will be happy for any and all help with this forum and the installation. I have learned a lot from you guys but I know a little knowledge is dangerous, but I am trying Any help here or in E-mail or private messages will be approached

THANKS Ron

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Jan. 30, 2017 4:33 am

You can feed 3 to 4 zones from the 8 GPM (80,000 BTUH) that a 1" type M copper pipe can easily sustain. And if pressed, it will carry 100,000 BTUH without velocity noise. Perhaps 1-1/4" pipe is not necessary.

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Mon. Jan. 30, 2017 1:34 pm

coaledsweat wrote:When you make a post, scroll down and there is a tab marked "attachments" to post photos. Hold the phone sideways and they should upload properly. Don't get upset, they don't always land the way you take them! :)
I will get Sandy to take pics lol so wont me my fault when I get far enough a long to have something to show. I should of called myself old nd slow but THANKS AGAIN

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Mon. Jan. 30, 2017 2:39 pm

lsayre wrote:You can feed 3 to 4 zones from the 8 GPM (80,000 BTUH) that a 1" type M copper pipe can easily sustain. And if pressed, it will carry 100,000 BTUH without velocity noise. Perhaps 1-1/4" pipe is not necessary.
Thanks lsayre,
As of now I have a 1-1/4 inch copper loop running part way around the basement about 30 ft. then it splits & the 1 1/4 runs left and the right at the split is 1 inch copper and was set up for a gas boiler 50 some years ago, then an instant elect boiler was installed and now I am installing the ASH S-30. What I need to know is since there will be 5 zones, 10 valves and 5 pumps and the pumps will be close to the boiler "pumping away" can I go from 1-1/4" pipe to 3/4" valves then back to 1-1/4" pipe at the valves then into the zone loops?? BTW ill get to the GPM and BTUH and the elect hook up MUCH LATER!!!! If I live that long. as I said I am old and slow to learn as well as do!!! THANKS AGAIN

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Mon. Jan. 30, 2017 6:14 pm

Yes, you can branch off of the 1-1/4" with 3/4" zone legs and return them to the 1-1/4".

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Jan. 30, 2017 6:34 pm

It would be pretty unusual to have 1.25" zone piping unless it is a monoflow system.

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Mon. Jan. 30, 2017 9:55 pm

Rob R. wrote:It would be pretty unusual to have 1.25" zone piping unless it is a monoflow system.
Not sure what a monoflow system is, but I do know I have 1-1/4 inch copper loop running part way around the basement about 30' then it splits & the 1 1/4" runs left and the right leg is 1" and then both loops return to the boiler, smaller pipe branches off to each baseboard then returns to the main loop. I made a diagram of what I want to do and I hope u can tell me if it will work if I can add it here.

Attachments

PIPING.png

my proposed loops pumps and valves

.PNG | 503.8KB | PIPING.png

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Tue. Jan. 31, 2017 2:53 pm

lsayre wrote:You can feed 3 to 4 zones from the 8 GPM (80,000 BTUH) that a 1" type M copper pipe can easily sustain. And if pressed, it will carry 100,000 BTUH without velocity noise. Perhaps 1-1/4" pipe is not necessary.
What is the difference between M & L copper pipe ?? I think I have some of both in my system dose it matter?? Seems to me the old is one and the new is the other.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Tue. Jan. 31, 2017 3:06 pm

Wall thickness. You don't need much of it for home heating applications.

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Tue. Jan. 31, 2017 4:27 pm

lsayre wrote:Wall thickness. You don't need much of it for home heating applications.
Thanks lsayre. What one is thickest and is the thin one ok to use for baseboard hot water heat ? I hope so as I think I have some of both .

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Tue. Jan. 31, 2017 5:46 pm

From memory type M is the thinner of the two. It is universally chosen as the right one for hydronic heating. My house has had it in use since 1964. When I tapped into it during my boiler install I did notice that it is a bit thinner walled than fresh and new type M, so 46 years of use did thin it a bit.

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Tue. Jan. 31, 2017 6:27 pm

lsayre wrote:From memory type M is the thinner of the two. It is universally chosen as the right one for hydronic heating. My house has had it in use since 1964. When I tapped into it during my boiler install I did notice that it is a bit thinner walled than fresh and new type M, so 46 years of use did thin it a bit.
Thanks again seems as if that is one less think for me to worry about as I think the older pipe it thicker than the new I bought to s[lit the loop into zones THANKS AGAIN All your help is appreciated now ill start the manifold and the zones going to get it all laid out the cut into the old supply and return loops

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”