Coal Gun S- 130 Install

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Wed. Jan. 19, 2022 9:08 am

hotblast1357 wrote:
Wed. Jan. 19, 2022 6:33 am
So you want to cover the auger with a piece of angle, but you want the angle small enough to let coal in each side? What’s the point in the piece of angle iron then?
Combines use the same setup in the grain tank. It allows material to be fed in through the gap. If there was nothing restricting the material flow, I don't think you would be able to turn the auger

FirstcoalstokerRon
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S-130
Coal Size/Type: pea/anthracite

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Wed. Jan. 19, 2022 9:42 am

hotblast1357 wrote:
Wed. Jan. 19, 2022 6:33 am
So you want to cover the auger with a piece of angle, but you want the angle small enough to let coal in each side? What’s the point in the piece of angle iron then?
I have read in more than one post that my 6 inch auger running the length of my outside coal bin should not be completely buried with pea coal or the auger is risking being jammed by the weight of the coal. One of the covers I read about was an angle iron running the length of the bin above the auger, the angle iron was high enough above the auger so both sides have a few inches clearance for the coal to enter the auger. I did read where 2 inches was needed for rice coal so I was asking how many inches I need for pea coal. The sides of my bin are at a 45 degree angle on the bottom so the coal can slide under the angle iron cover into the holes in the auger therefore avoiding the total weight of a full bin of coal pushing down on the auger.

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Wed. Jan. 19, 2022 9:54 am

I want to say thanks to mntbugy and swaman for the information they gave me and for helping me explain to hotblast what I wanted to know about the angle iron and why.

One other question, you think 4 inches on each side will be enough? Thanks again!!

swyman

Post by swyman » Wed. Jan. 19, 2022 10:43 am

FirstcoalstokerRon wrote:
Wed. Jan. 19, 2022 9:54 am
I want to say thanks to mntbugy and swaman for the information they gave me and for helping me explain to hotblast what I wanted to know about the angle iron and why.

One other question, you think 4 inches on each side will be enough? Thanks again!!
Thanks Ron we are all here to help and do our best even though I don't have much to offer compared to these other guys! As far as the 4"goes, that might not be a bad place to start and see how it works. Just make sure your angle cover clears the diameter of your auger. And to keep cost down as angle iron can get expensive, you could custom bend some material if you have access to material and a bender....I don't know what you have to work with.

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Wed. Jan. 19, 2022 11:46 am

swyman wrote:
Wed. Jan. 19, 2022 10:43 am
Thanks Ron we are all here to help and do our best even though I don't have much to offer compared to these other guys! As far as the 4"goes, that might not be a bad place to start and see how it works. Just make sure your angle cover clears the diameter of your auger. And to keep cost down as angle iron can get expensive, you could custom bend some material if you have access to material and a bender....I don't know what you have to work with.
Thanks again and may I ask your first name, if you told me before I am sorry I forgot, it is an old age thing.

I do not have material or a bender but I do have two pieces of 4 inch angle each about 8 feet long, I can weld them together to make it long enough to cover the entire auger. I think a 3 inch gap on each side will be enough and the more I think about it the angle does not have to cover the diameter of the auger as the coal coming into the auger from the sides will not be all that heavy. Please let me know if you think I am wrong. Not going to install it until spring so I have a lot of time to think and talk about it.

swyman

Post by swyman » Wed. Jan. 19, 2022 1:19 pm

Wed. Jan. 19, 2022 11:46 am
Thanks again and may I ask your first name, if you told me before I am sorry I forgot, it is an old age thing.

I do not have material or a bender but I do have two pieces of 4 inch angle each about 8 feet long, I can weld them together to make it long enough to cover the entire auger. I think a 3 inch gap on each side will be enough and the more I think about it the angle does not have to cover the diameter of the auger as the coal coming into the auger from the sides will not be all that heavy. Please let me know if you think I am wrong. Not going to install it until spring so I have a lot of time to think and talk about it.
Hi Ron, my name's Shane and you didn't forget as I haven't mentioned it. I think a 3" gap would be perfect. Let us know when you get to it and how it turns out!

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Wed. Jan. 19, 2022 1:51 pm

OK I will and thanks again Shane !! Now I will move on to the air in my baseboard heat. The banging was stopped for a few years, but it is back again. As I said before fix one thing and find 3 more things wrong. I know things will work out with all of your help so thanks again!!

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Jan. 19, 2022 1:58 pm

Tue. Jan. 18, 2022 9:58 pm
9:58 pm

Are you saying my last two questions are hard to understand or just hard to answer?
I was thinking they'd be hard to answer but I'm glad you could get recommendations on where to start..

I would suggest that there be a hole just underneath the angle iron support, accessible from the front or back of the bin. In the event you do have a coal bridge occur, you could run a rod with a hooked end inside and under the bridge to free it up easily.

My thoughts are that the coal will be more prone to bridging when the bin is full and has a lot of pressure at the bottom.

swyman

Post by swyman » Wed. Jan. 19, 2022 2:51 pm

Lightning wrote:
Wed. Jan. 19, 2022 1:58 pm
My thoughts are that the coal will be more prone to bridging when the bin is full and has a lot of pressure at the bottom.
I also think this could be an issue but it's kind of a guessing game. Just have to do it and see what happens and make any necessary adjustments. Good luck!

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Jan. 19, 2022 3:16 pm

swyman wrote:
Wed. Jan. 19, 2022 2:51 pm
I also think this could be an issue but it's kind of a guessing game
True... seems like the only time I have a bridging issue is when my bin is full lol

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Sat. Jan. 22, 2022 2:04 pm

swyman wrote:
Wed. Jan. 19, 2022 1:19 pm
Hi Ron, my name's Shane and you didn't forget as I haven't mentioned it. I think a 3" gap would be perfect. Let us know when you get to it and how it turns out!

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”