Coal Gun S- 130 Install

FirstcoalstokerRon
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S-130
Coal Size/Type: pea/anthracite

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Tue. Sep. 28, 2021 6:53 pm

Well I am back, sorry I was away for so long. Again I missed all of you and all of the the help you have given me . I do have more questions!!! Seems as if I fix one thing 5 others go wrong!!!

First I want to say I am still working on the auger system that would get my pea coal from my trailer into the hopper on my coal gun S-130. I am still using bagged coal but I hope to be using balk by next winter.

The AHS 6 inch auger that augers the pea coal from my inside coal bin into the hopper of my S-130 boiler. It works fine on manual but as I tried to adjust the auto sensor I stripped it out, so I have been using it on manual only.

The first question, if I install the gearmotor for the auger that augers the anthracite pea coal from the outside coal bin into the inside enclosed bin in my basement will there be any chance the coal dust will or can explode? I have never seen any coal dust when I auger the coal into the hopper of my boiler. I can install the gearmotor inside and pull the coal into my basement or install it out side and push it into the coal bin, I just need to know if the motor inside can cause the dust to explode?

The third question. I have read where people have oiled there coal to help keep dust down and also help keep the coal from freezing in cold weather in an outside bin , if I oil my bulk pea coal how do I apply it and how much per ton of pea coal would I use?

Now I got a grain wagon I am going to use to auger my coal into my outside coal bin, maybe all will be done next year!!

THE GOING IS SLOW BUT again I say thanks for all of the help you all have given me !!!
BTW I DO LOVE WORKING ON THIS!!!!!!! BUT DUE TO MY AGE AND HEALTH THE GOING IS SLOW BUT I AM BACK

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Sep. 29, 2021 7:22 am

Good to hear from ya old timer!! ;)

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Wed. Sep. 29, 2021 7:33 pm

My 6” auger is inside the boiler room with the bulk bin, motor for auger is mounted directly to auger at the top by the ceiling near the boiler hopper. I don’t think there’s anything to worry about with explosions..

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Wed. Sep. 29, 2021 10:00 pm

hotblast1357 wrote:
Wed. Sep. 29, 2021 7:33 pm
My 6” auger is inside the boiler room with the bulk bin, motor for auger is mounted directly to auger at the top by the ceiling near the boiler hopper. I don’t think there’s anything to worry about with explosions..
OK and thanks so much, I will install my auger coming from my outside coal bin in the same way as your installed yours. I will install the motor at the end of the auger up high so my coal can slide down and into the inside bin.
THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP AND ADVICE

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Wed. Sep. 29, 2021 10:05 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Wed. Sep. 29, 2021 7:22 am
Good to hear from ya old timer!! ;)
Thanks Fred and its very nice to hear from you. BTW ill be back with more questions soon. You all be safe and thanks again.

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Sat. Oct. 16, 2021 2:12 pm

I am back and still working on the outside coal bin. It seems I have so many things to do and not enough time to get them done at my age, but I am trying and it is fun so as long as you all help Ill keep going.
I have talked about this before after I read that a 4 ft. x 4 ft. x 14 ft. coal bin full of pea coal can cause the 6 inch grain auger on the bottom of the bin not to start when full of coal because of all the weight of the coal, I did as some of you said and cut 4 inch holes every 12 inches along the length of the 14 foot auger tube. I have seen where people have made their tube turn so the coal can not feed into the tube so when the auger starts the next time it is empty.
In the basement I built a small bin around the dog box for the auger that feeds the boiler hopper, it holds about 12 bags of pea coal, so I don't have to fill it as often as I did the boiler hopper and it is not as high so it is easer to dump the bags into. Around it there is space for about one ton of bagged coal I can use incase something goes wrong with the balk coal system. When the outside bin is finished I will auger the coal from outside bin into the box in the basement then auger it into the boiler hopper. Any ideas, suggestions or opinions will be greatly apricated.
BTW it seems as if I am working o 4 or 5 things at the same time but that way if I get tired of working on one or I get in trouble and need help with one thing I move on to another.
Again I say thanks to all of you for all of your help because I would have not ever got it done this far with out all of you!!!!!

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Mon. Oct. 18, 2021 11:23 pm

It might not me cold for most but it is cold for me so i lit the coal gun !!!!!!

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Thu. Dec. 16, 2021 7:28 pm

I intended to post this in COAL GUN S-130 install but it posted in NEW COAL BIN by Symonds86 instead. I have no idea what I did wrong nor do I know how to fix it.

I know it's been a long time since I have talked to all of you and it is because I have been in and out of the hospital most of the summer, I am back with only 9 toes due to an infection in my foot, but I am back.

Due to my health problems and the infection, I have not got much done on my auger systems or my coal bins in the past year. I do hope i can get more done by this time next year, but I do need help.

I did get a grain wagon something like the one Symonds86 has, just one more thing I must try to finish and would love any info and/or advice any of you can give me on fixing it up to auger pea coal. I know I will never get mine looking as good as his but I will try. I am also searching COALPAIL for ideas and/or advice.

My first question is there any reason the augers on the grain wagon won't handle pea size coal?

I am planning to strap it down on my tandem axle trailer as my trailer has license plates, brakes and lights. I will unload the wagon from in the alley with its two augers into a 3ft x 3ft x 5ft high box just inside my fence. From there I have a flex auger that will move it into my outside bin about 50ft away. I have a 14ft x 6 inch grain auger in the bottom of the outside bin that will move the coal into the inside 21/2 x 2 1/2 x 4ft coal box and I do have an AHS automatic 6 inch auger that augers the pea coal from my inside coal box into the hopper of my S-130 boiler. No lifting or carrying, just push some buttons. I HOPE!!!

Most of you know I stripped out the sensor on the automatic auger and since then we, meaning my wife and I mostly her have been using it on manual only and as we must empty the ashes every 2 or 3 days, we run the auger at the same time as we remove the ashes. The boiler is working great and our house is very warm.

Any advice and/or suggestions you give me will be greatly apricated, please tell me if you think my ideas will work or not.

As it will be spring before I can work on all this stuff as most of it is outside, I will have lots of time to look stuff up and search COALPAIL for ideas and advice and from all of you.

AGAIN, I SAY THANKS FOR ALL OF THE HELP YOU ALL HAVE GIVEN ME IN THE PAST AND ANY YOU WILL GIVE ME IN THE FUTURE!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!

BTW I DO LOVE WORKING ON MY BOILER AND ALL OF THE THINGS THAT GO WITH IT!!!
Last edited by FirstcoalstokerRon on Fri. Dec. 17, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Thu. Dec. 16, 2021 8:17 pm

Glad you still like working on your Coal Gun Ron.

Good to see you back on the forum!

-Don

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Fri. Dec. 17, 2021 12:56 pm

THANKS DON and a MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND YOURS!!!
I do hope people will answer my cries for help before I go back to work on the things I am working on

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Dec. 17, 2021 1:25 pm

Hi Ron! Please break out for us your questions from that lengthy post.

1.xxx.
2.xxxxxx.
3.xxxxxx.
etc

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Fri. Dec. 17, 2021 1:54 pm

LOL SURE I WILL REDO IT JUST FOR YOU AS SOON AS I LEARN HOW TO DO IT YOUR WAY 1 XXXXXXXXXX

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Dec. 17, 2021 2:10 pm

Poor Mac.. he's only here to help and always getting static from the newbies when they don't understand the level of talent that their dealing with here :roll: ...

He's right though... if you would/could make your questions a little more user friendly you'll get more replies.. I'm just trying help lol.

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Fri. Dec. 17, 2021 2:55 pm

as i said if u read back in my posts i am not hard to understand but if u can not read what i ask ur right ill stop asking and u and him can share kisses as di not know y its hard to answer my questions as i sure asked in plain english but ok ill not ask again have a merry xmas and a happy new year good bye

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Dec. 17, 2021 3:00 pm

FirstcoalstokerRon wrote:
Fri. Dec. 17, 2021 1:54 pm
LOL SURE I WILL REDO IT JUST FOR YOU AS SOON AS I LEARN HOW TO DO IT YOUR WAY 1 XXXXXXXXXX
Ron, it is nice to have you back on here and I hope you are doing well, but there are a few things you can do to make it easier for others to help.

1. In the computer world something written all in capital letters is considered yelling. Don't use capital letters unless yelling is your intent.

2. Having a bunch of thoughts all in one paragraph makes it hard for some people to follow. Breaking it up into a list helps others not miss anything.

I am sharing this to be helpful, not critical.

Best Regards

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”