Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Thu. Dec. 05, 2019 11:52 am

This is what mine uses.

Attachments

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Dec. 05, 2019 12:07 pm

Way overkill for a residential coal application ($365), but we sell a bunch of these rugged units in the aggregate industry....

https://www.babbittinternational.com/pdf/LS2000%20PDF.pdf

Maybe one would pop up on ebay sometime for cheap....

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Thu. Dec. 05, 2019 5:28 pm

The coal dust from the auger moving the coal doesn’t affect the proximity sensor?

What type would I need?

FirstcoalstokerRon
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S-130
Coal Size/Type: pea/anthracite

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Thu. Dec. 05, 2019 6:02 pm

As I have said before I had it working in manual but not in automatic. After reading the above info I do believe I have got it working on automatic as it started and stopped 4 times today. If it is working right its because of the help you all gave me. THANKS AGAIN !!! The sensor that I have came with the AHS 6 inch x 12 foot auger, I can not find the box it came in so I don't have the info you asked for. Try calling COAL GUN

rwwsr
Stoker Coal Boiler: ahs s260 3
Coal Size/Type: pea

Post by rwwsr » Thu. Dec. 05, 2019 8:28 pm

FirstcoalstokerRon wrote:
Thu. Dec. 05, 2019 1:40 am
WOW WHAT A SHAME !!!
Is there a way to avoid that from happening?????
I use a relay to turn off coal auger after xx minutes, if the hopper switch fails to turn off auger. So far no problems with over filling hopper.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Thu. Dec. 05, 2019 8:55 pm

rwwsr wrote:
Thu. Dec. 05, 2019 8:28 pm
I use a relay to turn off coal auger after xx minutes, if the hopper switch fails to turn off auger. So far no problems with over filling hopper.
How does the timer reset itself every auger fill?

rwwsr
Stoker Coal Boiler: ahs s260 3
Coal Size/Type: pea

Post by rwwsr » Thu. Dec. 05, 2019 9:24 pm

When power is turned off (hopper switch) it resets. It will not reset if hopper switch does not turn off. When there is a coal feed issue (frozen, bridged, etc) I have to manually turn off power and turn back on to reset back to normal. Have same set up on 3 units.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Thu. Dec. 05, 2019 9:34 pm

The Schneider proximity sensor units that AHS uses sell direct from Schneider for $159, and potentially for less than that via retailers. This price is for the probe itself, and not other relays and other whatall that are required...

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Dec. 05, 2019 9:38 pm

I have found prox. switches by different mfg'r of equal or better for $40.-$60. new on ebay.

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Sat. Dec. 07, 2019 1:14 pm

hotblast1357 wrote:
Thu. Dec. 05, 2019 5:28 pm
The coal dust from the auger moving the coal doesn’t affect the proximity sensor?

What type would I need?
The Schneider proximity sensor, the control box, the AHS auger and the hopper lid came as a unit from AHS. I don't believe the dust will affect the sensor, but if I have trouble I will be sure to let you and AHS know.
The auger has been starting and stopping automatic for 3 days now, so I think all is well thanks to all of you and the help you have given me !
Now that it is cold outside I am back to work on the inside bin. If I run into trouble I will call out to all of you for help!! Until then please have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! and a HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!I Some day I hope I can help others as all of you have helped me. THANKS AGAIN

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Tue. Dec. 24, 2019 3:27 pm

FirstcoalstokerRon wrote:
Thu. Dec. 05, 2019 6:02 pm
As I have said before I had it working in manual but not in automatic. After reading the above info I do believe I have got it working on automatic as it started and stopped 4 times today. If it is working right its because of the help you all gave me. THANKS AGAIN !!!

Looks like I spoke to soon because a few days after I made the above post the AHS automatic auger bound up and before the breaker in the control box broke the motor mount twisted up and the chain came off. I used a pipe wrench to turn the auger until all the coal was out of the auger and I found nothing but average size pea coal in the auger, I have no idea what caused it to bind up. I called AHS and was told they had not heard of this happening before. They did send me a replacement motor mount and mounting hardware that same day, to the tune of $234. When I got the new one I noticed it was much heavier and stronger than the original one that twisted up. As much as it cost it is to bad their auger was not under warranty as I only had it eight months and used it less than a month!! It is all back together and again it seems to be working well, I am turning it off and on manually as I am a little scared to have it run when I am not watching it. If any of you have had this problem please tell me what caused it and what you did to prevent it from happening again.
My advice to any of you that are thinking of buying an auger like mine is to make sure you get the stronger heavier motor mount.
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL & THANKSI AGAIN!!!

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Fri. Dec. 27, 2019 9:22 pm

Again I hope I am not speaking to soon, but, my inside auger seems to be working as it should. It is turning on and shutting off automatically and is keeping the boiler hopper full of coal from the inside coal bin. I will keep my fingers crossed!!!
As I said before I did not get the outside bin done before cold weather got here, so I am using bagged coal again this year. I built a wood box around the dog box that holds about 11 bags of pea coal, so I don't have to fill it as often as I did the hopper and it is not as high so it is easer to dump the bags into.
As winter is here and I hate working in the cold I feel it is time to start thinking about building a system to remove the ashes. I am thinking a flex auger from the ash tub of my COAL GUN to the outside of my house into a 55 gal drum with a shoot so I can open and close it so the ashes can be bagged and hulled away. Any ideas and/or suggestions about any of my projects will be appreciated!! THANKS AGAIN AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU !!!!

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Sun. Dec. 29, 2019 9:43 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Dec. 29, 2019 9:50 pm

Happy new year to you Ron!

And may your S130 always keep you warm.

-Don

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”