Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Jul. 06, 2019 11:58 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Sat. Jul. 06, 2019 5:34 pm
6" is what I would recommend.
No such thing as a 6" flex auger. Even if by some strange fluke there is something resembling one it is not necessary for moving pea coal anyways.

FirstcoalstokerRon
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S-130
Coal Size/Type: pea/anthracite

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Sun. Jul. 07, 2019 2:20 pm

Thanks again , I am getting info and prices for 350 and 500 flex augers as they seem to be the best sizes!!

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jul. 07, 2019 2:32 pm

FirstcoalstokerRon wrote:
Sun. Jul. 07, 2019 2:20 pm
Thanks again , I am getting info and prices for 350 and 500 flex augers as they seem to be the best sizes!!
Just be sure to size auger for pipe I.D., pipe O.D. is not what your flex auger wants to know.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jul. 07, 2019 3:01 pm

bobok wrote:
Fri. May. 08, 2015 5:22 pm
Where did you get the flex-auger, and was it reasonable??? bobok
MoBe wrote:
Mon. Jun. 08, 2015 4:29 pm
Hogslat.com. 16' was 54 dollars shipped to the shop... Good people to deal with too

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Sun. Aug. 18, 2019 1:20 pm

Hog Slat has there own generic brand that is cheaper but equal or better quality. They got store in Uion city Ohio 866-968-3895
McGiever

Ron,
Make a call to the Rogers Feed Mill, Inc and see if they know who might deal in flex augers...after all the primary use of a flex auger is to move animal feed and related grain crops.

Rogers Feed Mill, Inc
Address: 7431 Depot St, Rogers, OH 44455
Phone: (330) 227-3214

or
Hanoverton Feed
Address: 29946 US-30, Hanoverton, OH 44423
Phone: (330) 223-1300

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Tue. Aug. 20, 2019 7:42 pm

<r><QUOTE author="McGiever" post_id="696454" time="1549748391" user_id="5991"><s>
McGiever wrote:
Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 4:39 pm
</s>

Thanks again Larry,<br/>

In the above video i see a fexable tube being used to move the coal out of the bin, can anyone tell me the name of the tube, what it is made of and where i can buy it?
Some how the video got deleted and I have no idea how to repost it.

Also does the auger have to go all the way through the tube or will the coal push through to the end even if the auger stops 10 or 12 foot from the dump end of the tube??
Last edited by FirstcoalstokerRon on Tue. Aug. 20, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Tue. Aug. 20, 2019 7:53 pm

Still trying to post the video!!
Last edited by FirstcoalstokerRon on Tue. Aug. 20, 2019 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Tue. Aug. 20, 2019 8:12 pm

I GIVE UP?????????? I will try and post the video some other time .

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Tue. Aug. 20, 2019 11:09 pm

Auger needs to go all the way to the dump outlet...no pushing of a long "slug" of coal past auger flights.

PVC pipe can work, flex auger needn't fit tight like a sock...it can be slightly loose in side PVC. Anything but PVC will be a chore to have any bends or sweeps formed in the pipe.

Find out any info from the phone numbers provided?

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Thu. Aug. 22, 2019 4:02 pm

<r><QUOTE author="McGiever" post_id="696454" time="1549748391" user_id="5991"><s>
McGiever wrote:
Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 4:39 pm
</s>
Rice Coal:<br/>
Part 1<br/>
<YOUTUBE id="c_pHsK21p2E" url=""><URL url=">

In the above video i see a fexable tube being used to move the coal out of the bin, can anyone tell me the name of the tube, what it is made of and where i can buy it?

I asked,
Does the auger have to go all the way through the tube or will the coal push through to the end even if the auger stops 10 or 12 foot from the dump end of the tube??

McGiever said,
Auger needs to go all the way to the dump outlet...no pushing of a long "slug" of coal past auger flights.

I am asking,
Why if pea coal gravity feeds at about a 45 degree angle why a 6 inch straight auger feeding it into a 3 or 4 inch PVC pipe won't push pea coal slightly down hill for about 8 foot past the last flight . If not I will need one more auger, tube and motor to move the coal from the back of my trailer to the boot of the long underground flex auger. WAY MORE MONEY THAN A FEW FEET OF PVC PIPE!!!!

McGiever asked.
Find out any info from the phone numbers provided?

Yes I got a few numbers and I also found a dealer near Salem Ohio that answered a lot of my questions. They were very helpful!! But as always I thought of other questions after I got back home so I will call them again before I go back. BTW they also stock most if not all of the parts I will need to install an underground flex auger system in both the 350 and the 500 size. I want to go with the 500 size but as it cost twice as much as the 350 I am still thinking about where to get the money as I am on a fixed income. ANY IDEAS OR SUGESTIONS WILL BE WELCOME !
AGAIN I WANT TO SAY THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Thu. Aug. 22, 2019 9:41 pm

FirstcoalstokerRon wrote:
Tue. Aug. 20, 2019 7:53 pm
Does the auger have to go all the way through the tube or will the coal push through to the end even if the auger stops 10 or 12 foot from the dump end of the tube??
You didn't say uphill, down hill or only flat level...

You didn't mention any Gravity being involved here...

Maybe find an expert, I'd say, to get your unconventional answers for your unconventional questions. :annoyed:

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Fri. Aug. 23, 2019 2:32 am

OK LARRY YOU WIN I WONT ASK YOU ANYTHING AGAIN THAT WAY YOU CAN SPEND YOUR TIME TALKING TO PEOPLE THAT DONT NEED TO ASK HOW TO DO THINGS!!! BTW I DO WANT TO THANK ALL OF THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE HELPED ME FROM THE START!!! THANKS AGAIN

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Sat. Aug. 24, 2019 9:28 am

Hello Ron,

No one wants to get in your way, you have a difficult coal transfer situation and all you may need is suction hose and hose couplers to reach the trailer and enough suction power/pressure gradient to pull the coal from the trailer and fill your outside bin and the basement bin. I can tell you from personal experience that coal and other pelleted items can flow very quickly and very far with a vacuum system.

If you have 3 large shop vacs piped in series and enough hose to reach the trailer you will be able to transfer all your coal from the trailer to your basement using a simple coal vacuum system with a small barrel as a receiver and a helper in the basement to start and stop the shop vacs for you as you suction the coal out of your trailer.

What you are looking to do is create the largest negative pressure gradient possible up to 13 HG., (which is 13 inches of water gauge negative pressure gradient) to have suction to pull the coal from the trailer to the basement of your home.

You would want to use either a shop vac bag in the first shop vac or a dust deputy and a bag in the first shop vac to contain the coal dust to increase the life of the filter in the first shop vac and protect the air filters in other two shop vacs.

You would be very surprised how much work energy 3-4 shop vacs with 18-24 horsepower to use can create and use to transfer pelleted materials. As long as the hose and couplers are sealed and do not leak allowing outside air to enter the connections all the suction power will be at the end of the last hose which is in the trailer. As long as you use un oiled coal it will work very well for you.

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Sun. Sep. 01, 2019 8:47 pm

<r><QUOTE author="lzaharis" post_id="710646" time="1566653301" user_id="725"><s>
lzaharis wrote:
Sat. Aug. 24, 2019 9:28 am
</s>
Hello Ron,<br/>
<br/>
No one wants to get in your way, you have a difficult coal transfer situation and all you may need is suction hose and hose couplers to reach the trailer and enough suction power/pressure gradient to pull the coal from the trailer and fill your outside bin and the basement bin. I can tell you from personal experience that coal and other pelleted items can flow very quickly and very far with a vacuum system.</QUOTE></r>

First I want to say thanks, but as I have $4,000.00 invested in augers and a trailer it is a little late to switch to a vacuum system, but I do want to say thanks again for all of your help.

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Thu. Sep. 05, 2019 1:24 am

<t>My outside coal bin is about 1/2 done the 6 inch straight auger is on the bottom with about 3 foot inside the basement and 12 foot in the outside coal bin . I am going to cut 2 inch wide by 12 inch long holes in the tube with 8 inches between them and I am wondering if it will it start full of coal or do I have to make it shut off by turning the tube like the one I saw in a U TUBE video! I plan on using a 1 horse power motor turning at about 12 to 18 RPM.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”