Coal Gun S- 130 Install

FirstcoalstokerRon
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S-130
Coal Size/Type: pea/anthracite

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 3:56 pm

I found this 6" x 10' Martin Sprocket 6H304-R 6"X1-1/2"X 9-10" HELI SCREW I was told it would not move pea coal 10' into my basement through the window, and am wondering why it can not run through PVC pipe??

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 4:03 pm

FirstcoalstokerRon wrote:
Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 3:56 pm
I found this 6" x 10' Martin Sprocket 6H304-R 6"X1-1/2"X 9-10" HELI SCREW I was told it would not move pea coal 10' into my basement through the window, and am wondering why it can not run through PVC pipe??
Not sure anyone ever said that auger wouldn't work...

As for the PVC pipe...if you have a mind to try it, then go for it. :)

What kind of bearing mounts will you use on each end of that auger???

Still going to use *HotBlast's* recommended 1/4 HP motor?
1/4 HP 12 RPM 115v Dayton AC Parallel Shaft Gear Motor
I think Ron wants someone else's opinions here, cause I keep giving him answers he'd rather not hear...

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 4:31 pm

https://www.hogslat.com/flexible-auger-fill-syste ... components

Here’s anything/everything you should need.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 4:38 pm

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 4:39 pm

Rice Coal:
Part 1

Part 2

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 5:11 pm

<r><QUOTE author="McGiever" post_id="696450" time="1549746219" user_id="5991"><s>
McGiever wrote:
Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 4:03 pm
</s>
Not sure anyone ever said that auger wouldn't work...<br/>
I was told it would not work so I asked why not

As for the PVC pipe...if you have a mind to try it, then go for it.
I was also told it only works with flex augers and I asked why not

What kind of bearing mounts will you use on each end of that auger???
Not sure yet but I do have a few pillow blocks laying around

Still going to use *HotBlast's* recommended 1/4 HP motor?<br/>
Not sure but I do have some bigger motors but if that gearmotor would work I like it

I think Ron wants someone else's opinions here, cause I keep giving him answers he'd rather not hear...
NO way Larry i have got so much good advice from you. Its just i get confused easy amd i need to understand before I spend 6 or 7 thousands dollars on coal bins, trailers and augers. So any and all advice i get is needed and apricated

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 5:43 pm

McGiever wrote:
Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 4:39 pm
Rice Coal:
Part 1

Part 2
I have watched this video many times but I have no idea what size or type auger or what the hose is made of or its size but yes it is what I want if it is big enough to move pea coal thanks again

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 6:16 pm

I hope you will look at the Little Wonder C5 leaf blower as it is a regenerative air turbine leaf blower and it provides positive pressure displacement to provide 1,100 cubic feet per minute (19 cubic feet per second) air power which is much more than hand held or backpack blowers.

It has a tapered adjustable nozzle on it and you could attach a straight Fernco rubber coupler to it to then attach it to a short section of 3 inch PVC pipe and then attach this pipe to a 15 degree Y fitting where a large reducing bell woul gradually come down in size to 3 inches to the 15 degree Y and the coal would slide into the 3 inch pipe slowly and the blower would push it to the basement bin.

Same theory and practice as the gentleman that used his hand held blower and PVC pipe in the video to move his coal but on a 2 or 3 to one scale size bigger due to the larger air volume used.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 9:19 pm

lzaharis wrote:
Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 6:16 pm
I hope you will look at the Little Wonder C5 leaf blower as it is a regenerative air turbine leaf blower and it provides positive pressure displacement to provide 1,100 cubic feet per minute (19 cubic feet per second) air power which is much more than hand held or backpack blowers.

It has a tapered adjustable nozzle on it and you could attach a straight Fernco rubber coupler to it to then attach it to a short section of 3 inch PVC pipe and then attach this pipe to a 15 degree Y fitting where a large reducing bell woul gradually come down in size to 3 inches to the 15 degree Y and the coal would slide into the 3 inch pipe slowly and the blower would push it to the basement bin.

Same theory and practice as the gentleman that used his hand held blower and PVC pipe in the video to move his coal but on a 2 or 3 to one scale size bigger due to the larger air volume used.
Thought I read that the gentleman had better results after giving up the bigger blower and down-scaling to the hand held blower...
grobinson2 wrote:
Mon. Dec. 21, 2015 1:09 am
At first I was using a large leaf collection system blower that is on a Kubota 3060 mower but what I found is that while the volume of air was almost too much the speed at which it traveled was not enough. So I switched to a simple leaf blower with much better results.
Last edited by McGiever on Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 9:24 pm

Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 5:43 pm
I have watched this video many times but I have no idea what size or type auger or what the hose is made of or its size but yes it is what I want if it is big enough to move pea coal thanks again
Not sized for moving pea sized coal, but that is easy enough to scale up to. :)

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 9:30 pm

Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 3:56 pm
I found this 6" x 10' Martin Sprocket 6H304-R 6"X1-1/2"X 9-10" HELI SCREW
Here is his proposed auger...no tube, no motor, no motor mount, no bearings and no coupling for motor to conveyor...

https://www.mrosupply.com/conveyors/screw-conveyo ... -sprocket/

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Sun. Feb. 10, 2019 9:45 am

Hello and good Morning McGiever,

My thinking for Ron and his longer distance and close quarters situation was that he could always adjust the throttle on the C5 model and go from there and just pour the pea coal in the open bell fitting and as he pours the pea coal in it would would slide down through the other reducing bells to the 15 degree wye and then into the airstream created by the C5 leaf blower which would push the coal to the basement.

If he sprayed the inside of the reducing bells with WD-40 that would also help make the pipeline slicker as the WD-40 would help to disperse any water that is dripping off the coal as well.

Ron could always purchase a very large hand held leaf blower and try that first as he would not be spending a huge amount of money and he could purchase a rubber stall mat from tractor supply to set the hand held blower on to keep it from wandering around while it was running at high idle to see how well the pipeline would work while pouring small amounts of pea coal in the reducing bell fitting to see how well the pea coal travels.

The hand held leaf blower was probably running at high idle too which is fine as he needed the high idle setting to make sure the velocity was high enough to push the coal through to his storage.

So let see here.
1. PVC saw
2. one can of PVC cleaner and glue for PVC pipe unions
3. seven 10 foot joints of 3 inch PVC pipe with one length to be used for short pipe pieces used in reducing bells and the 15 degree wye.
4. five 3 inch PVC unions - using unions makes it easier to handle the pipe connect the glued reducing bells to the pipe and the 15 degree wye and it prevents air leaks
5. four 15 degree elbows to allow the coal to travel with fewer restrictions to basement window and to slope into basement bin with the final pipe joint
6. one 8 inch to 6 inch reducing bell
7. one 6 inch to 4 inch reducing bell
8. one 4 inch to 3 inch reducing bell
9. one 15 degree wye fitting with a threaded straight fitting for a cleanout plug
10. emery paper to sand the bell joints clean before gluing them
10. a small brood herd of Lowes 3 gallon buckets to pour the coal into the pipeline. The last time I checked they were still $3.00+ tax each.

In item 4 three inch Fernco couplers could be substituted for the PVC pipe unions but they would have to be left in a warm place to allow easier coupling in the colder months.

I guess I would rent a leaf blower to see if it had enough velocity to work pushing a bag of pea coal to the basement from the furthest point using the three inch pipe with 3 inch fernco couplers on the long pipe joints.
You would need a short length of solid ADS drainage pipe the size of the leaf blowers pipe to start the project to connect the leaf blower to the 3 inch 15 degree wye OR elbow fitting at the bottom.

I would cut a short piece of PCV pipe to make a stack of pipe with a 6 inch to 5 to 4 to 3 inch reducing bell stack that is dry fitted and attached to a 2 foot piece of PVC and then this pipe is connected to a 15 degree elbow that has a short section of 3 inch pipe dry fitted to the 15 degree wye at ground level which is dry fitted to the rest of the pipe using fernco couplers.

You would need some concrete building blocks to support the stack of pipe on two sides while the bag of coal is being blown into the basement.

It is something to look at anyway.

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Sun. Feb. 10, 2019 6:10 pm

Yes it is and thanks I will look into it in the spring after it warms up but for now I am going to work on the inside bin

I just wish someone would give me a nice list about a 10' flex auger system and parts needed as the one about a blower as I am going with a flex auger in the outside bin and in my trailer!!

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Tue. Feb. 19, 2019 9:07 pm

<r><QUOTE author="hotblast1357" post_id="695935" time="1549390436" user_id="20482"><s>
hotblast1357 wrote:
Tue. Feb. 05, 2019 1:13 pm
</s>
Mine is a 1/4 HP, turns 12 RPMS with gear reduction.
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

Thanks again, <br/>
As I don't know your first name I will call you BLAST. I hope you are not tired of all my questions BUT I do have a few more about your auger system if you don't mind.

1. What type and size is your auger ?
2. What size is the coal ? Mine is pea coal
3. How far do you move it ? I need to move it 10 feet
4. I see your motor is 1/4 HP / gear reducer Do I need bigger ?

Any help as size of motor and/or auger will be a big help to me.
THIS WILL BE FOR OUTSIDE BIN ONLY THANKS AGAIN

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Wed. Feb. 20, 2019 5:34 am

The name is justin.

It’s a normal 6” auger, I use it to move pea coal, it’s about 11’, originally it was 14’.

I’m sure you can use it outside, I wouldn’t leave the motor outside to the elements.

No you don’t need a different motor.

This is a factory auger that came from eshland, designed to move pea coal for our boilers.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”