Coal Gun S- 130 Install

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 6:05 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 5:53 pm
It would seem. I would want to confirm the coal feed tubes are a match before throwing money at it. If they aren't compatible, it may just turn into a little nightmare.
Can someone tell me the diameter of the AA-130's auger discharge end where it mates to the AA feed tube, and the diameter of the AA's feed tube at this juncture also. Between auger discharge and AA feed tube, is one side male and the other female, and if so, which is which? Or alternately, is there a coupler piece that bridges between them?

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 6:23 pm

Like I said before, I don't think you can just bolt it on. The auger ends up being less than an inch from the Axeman boiler. The AHS has thicker sides and covers that would be right in the way of the auger. This means you would have to space the auger a few inches away, which means you would need to completely change the Geometry of the auger if you still want the coal to drop into the feed pipe.

These were my thoughts when I was considering doing it. But, I could be wrong because I have never had an AHS to take measurements off of.

-Don

FirstcoalstokerRon
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S-130
Coal Size/Type: pea/anthracite

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Wed. Jan. 16, 2019 2:53 am

<r><r><QUOTE author="titleist1" post_id="692100" time="1547472033" user_id="1005"><s><QUOTE author="titleist1" post_id="692100" time="1547472033" user_id="1005"><s>
titleist1 wrote:
Mon. Jan. 14, 2019 8:20 am
</s></s><br/>
I am a little skeptical that you will get it to gravity feed without issues. I think the angle of that pipe will need to be more than 45*, you will have to deal with some way to keep the coal from bridging at the inlet and how will you 'funnel' the coal to the inlet from the bin? <br/>
<br/>
It seems to me that the coal from the S-130 hopper gravity feeds into the boiler at about 45* and the tube is about 3 1/2 ". As the coal burns down the coal in the hopper drops down.

I was thinking about using a short metal chute at about a 45* angle to gravity feed the coal from the outside bin into a 4 inch PVC pipe that would go into the drum about one foot. When the drum fills up to the bottom of the pipe it would stop gravity feeding until the coal again drops down,

With the use of Y's, angles and gates the PVC would also feed an inside bin that would feed the 55 gal. drum when needed. The reason for an outside and an inside bin is because I want to have enough coal for a year or more and I do not have enough space for a bin that large inside or outside, so I need at least two bins.

AHS MAKES a 12' automatic auger sys. that would auger the coal from the drum/doghouse to the boiler hopper for about $2000.00, more money but less fabricating.

Is there a way you can test it on a smaller scale befoe building it full size?

Yes that is a great idea and I believe I can make a small bin out of a cardboard box. That way I will find out what angle will cause the pea coal to slide down and drop off the end before I build the real chute and bins,</QUOTE></r>

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 9:28 am

FirstcoalstokerRon wrote:
Wed. Jan. 16, 2019 2:53 am
It seems to me that the coal from the S-130 hopper gravity feeds into the boiler at about 45* and the tube is about 3 1/2 ". As the coal burns down the coal in the hopper drops down.

I was thinking about using a short metal chute at about a 45* angle to gravity feed the coal from the outside bin into a 4 inch PVC pipe that would go into the drum about one foot. When the drum fills up to the bottom of the pipe it would stop gravity feeding until the coal again drops down,

With the use of Y's, angles and gates the PVC would also feed an inside bin that would feed the 55 gal. drum when needed. The reason for an outside and an inside bin is because I want to have enough coal for a year or more and I do not have enough space for a bin that large inside or outside, so I need at least two bins.
For the same space reason I have a similar outside bin / inside barrel set up but i vacuum in the rice coal. The inside walls of the 4w x 8l x 4h outdoor bin are steeper than a 45 on the long side and a little less than 45 on the short side (with tyvek added all around for slippery-ness) to the inlet of the 2" pipe. On mine, the vac'ing out the rice coal will eventually create a funnel in the outdoor bin coal pile and I occasionally need to push the coal from the sides to fill in the funnel.

Pea size coal should flow better for you down the 45 than rice.

I like the cardboard box idea though to get an initial shot of the needed angle for material movement. :yes: I did a similar small scale test with the vac system to get a first guestimate on pipe sizing which is still in use.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 9:50 am

Ron, Do you have outside access into basement?

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 11:28 am

Yes I do. its the reason the out side bin can only be 4' wide and a bedroom window limits the height to about 5'.

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 3:17 pm

McGiever wrote:
Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 9:50 am
As I said in my last post yes I do, my I ask why you asked?

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 10:14 pm

Auger to fill boiler hopper...

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Wed. Jan. 30, 2019 12:05 am

McGiever wrote:
Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 9:50 am
FirstcoalstokerRon wrote:
Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 11:28 am
Yes I do. its the reason the out side bin can only be 4' wide and a bedroom window limits the height to about 5'.
So, are you saying the bin covers all of that outside entrance?

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Tue. Feb. 05, 2019 12:36 pm

<r><QUOTE author="McGiever" post_id="694807" time="1548824740" user_id="5991"><s>
McGiever wrote:
Wed. Jan. 30, 2019 12:05 am
</s>

Larry I am sorry it took so long to get back to you. Health problems!
No the cellarway is not where I am going to build the outside coal bin, I use it a lot and I also take my bagged coal into the basement through it as well as take out the ashes.
There is a 5' space between the cellarway and the side wall of the back room, that is where I am going to build the outside coal bin. It will be 5' wide 5' high and 10' long.
I will gravity feed the pea coal through the cellar wall into the inside coal bin, when the level and the angle of the coal gets to low to gravity feed I will auger it into the basement with a 6" x 10' steel auger. The auger will sit level on the bottom of the bin and it will run through a PVC pipe with holes in it to limit the amount of coal falling into it.
What I need to know at what RPM does the auger need to turn and what HP an elect motor would need to be to feed pea coal 10 foot.
I am going to auger the coal from the inside bin to the Coal Gun hopper with the AHS automatic auger sys. I am looking for a new one, a rebuilt one or even a used one as the cost is important to us as we are on a limited income. THANKS AGAIN FOR ANY AND ALL HELP !!!!
If any or all of the above will not work please tell me why it wont.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Tue. Feb. 05, 2019 1:13 pm

Mine is a 1/4 HP, turns 12 RPMS with gear reduction.

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Tue. Feb. 05, 2019 2:37 pm

hotblast1357 wrote:
Tue. Feb. 05, 2019 1:13 pm
Mine is a 1/4 HP, turns 12 RPMS with gear reduction.
THANKS Hotblast for the info, 12 RPMS will be the speed. I am not sure if I will use a gear reducer or a belt pully system to reduce the motor RPMS. As for the motor HP I have a few 1 horse power motors laying around, is there any reason I can not use them? STILL NOT SURE WHAT I WOULD DO WITH OUT ALL OF UR HELP THANKS AGAIN!!!

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Tue. Feb. 05, 2019 5:50 pm

I don’t see why u can’t use belts and a 1hp motor.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Tue. Feb. 05, 2019 5:50 pm

Your 1Hp Motor would have to be 1725 RPM and even then that would make a very large pulley on auger shaft...but it is doable at 1725, may have to do double reduction with 4 pulleys to get near 12 RPM

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Tue. Feb. 05, 2019 7:27 pm

hotblast1357 wrote:
Tue. Feb. 05, 2019 5:50 pm
I don’t see why u can’t use belts and a 1hp motor.
It's gonna be a lot of belts and pulleys to get from 1725 RPM all the way down to 12 RPM.

Here is the pulley calculator I use to figure this stuff out.
https://www.blocklayer.com/pulley-belteng.aspx

-Don

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”