Coal Gun S- 130 Install

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Thu. Aug. 16, 2018 1:22 pm

Yes this is true! I’ve contemplated different fan speeds.. but if it ain’t broke...

FirstcoalstokerRon
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S-130
Coal Size/Type: pea/anthracite

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Thu. Aug. 16, 2018 3:13 pm

I just remembered that the only out fire with the bashchak was when I had a big clinker and it blowed the grating fuse I broke the clinker up and replaced the fuse no trouble till I starting using the lehigh coal

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Aug. 17, 2018 4:08 pm

McGiever wrote:
Thu. Aug. 16, 2018 12:20 pm
Results would not be "apples for apples" with a 260 having a different size standby residual fire size...bigger is better there.

If the 130 could have the fan air adjusted down for re-firing there might be a wee bit better chance to coax the fire back by slowly ramping back up the air instead of just coming full force. :annoyed:
hotblast1357 wrote:
Thu. Aug. 16, 2018 1:22 pm
Yes this is true! I’ve contemplated different fan speeds.. but if it ain’t broke...
The comment was for a 130 when using a lesser "free burning" coal that are feared to cause summertime outfires, not for the larger sized fire pots of the 260 like yours without this fear.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Aug. 17, 2018 4:21 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 6:14 pm
I think H.B. is probably right, Ron's ashing temperature might be a little bit too low. If you had a out fire with the Blaschak, the ashing temp setting was probably marginal for that coal. The fire is probably to high and thin.

Try turning the ashing temp up 5 or 10 degrees, leave it run for a few days and see what happens.

-Don
FirstcoalstokerRon wrote:
Thu. Aug. 16, 2018 3:13 pm
I just remembered that the only out fire with the bashchak was when I had a big clinker and it blowed the grating fuse I broke the clinker up and replaced the fuse no trouble till I starting using the lehigh coal
Rolling grates chew through "clinkers" with ease, and this has been reported by many owners often times...

First time ever a blown fuse due to a "oversized clinker" has been reported using a "rolling grate"...something is drastically wrong in this situation...this is highly un-normal and this out come should not be considered anywhere near normal operation of this type of system.

On speculation, perhaps, the grate/ashing switch was manually turned off and overlooked for some extended period and allowed a full fire tube to form one massive clinker before being manually switched back on???

All that being said, there still remains the new coal source from Lehigh to be adjusted for now.

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Fri. Aug. 17, 2018 6:21 pm

Thanks guys,
Last winter when I had the blown fuse I talked to Jeff at COAL GUN and was told what to do about the blown fuse and since then no out fires with BASHCHAK, only problem now is with LEHIGH going out, I will get a skid of BASHCHAK and mix it with the LEHIGH when I load the hopper until the LEHIGH is gone and then I will use only BASHCHAK.

I still have not found where the hot water is crossing over between the 2 zones, it must be in the crawl space but since there is about 50 years of things being stored in there it will take me a while to find where!!
THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP !! WILL TALK SOON!!

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Fri. Aug. 17, 2018 6:23 pm

Or instead of mixing and switching, just make the 5 second adjustment that boiler is made to do.

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Sat. Aug. 18, 2018 12:25 pm

Sorry but it is set as it came from COAL GUN and I have no idea how it works or how to change the settings. I will just buy BASHCHAK from now on.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sat. Aug. 18, 2018 3:39 pm

There may be a few here who can help with adjustments...
At some point you will have to change some settings...
Best to plan ahead...

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Tue. Aug. 28, 2018 9:14 pm

Seems we got off track about BASHCHAK outfires as I only had one in almost a year and it was caused by a blown grating fuse. The problem now is my last skid of pea coal is LEHIGH and I have had nine or 10 out fires in 3 weeks. I talked to ALTERNATE HEATING SYSTEMS and was told they had no idea why. I will go after a skid of BASHCHAK and see if that fixes the problem. I still only have one place to get bagged BASHCHAK pea coal in my area, if anyone knows of any others near me please let me know. Thanks again and I will let you all know if the BASHCHAK stops the out fires .

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Aug. 29, 2018 5:54 am

I can't wait until next summer when all I'll have left to burn will be Lehigh. I fear that I'll be in need of a rapid purchase of some Blaschak if I'm going to make it through the summer months. From the above it's beginning to sound like Lehigh shares a lot in common with Stockton. And I've experienced outfires aplenty with Stockton.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Wed. Aug. 29, 2018 6:14 am

One simple adjustment of the ash grate temperature....

Not even one minutes time.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Wed. Aug. 29, 2018 7:12 am

hotblast1357 wrote:
Wed. Aug. 29, 2018 6:14 am
One simple adjustment of the ash grate temperature....

Not even one minutes time.
I've tried nigh on every ash grate temperature setting from 130 degrees to 100 degrees with Stockton coal, and it just will not burn in the summer months. Blaschak burns nigh on perfectly in the summer, and verging upon perfectly if I dial in just the right ash grate temperature. I even suffered a Stockton outfire on a particularly warm Christmas day a few years ago. It's that bad with Coal Gun S130's. Lehigh comes from the very same vein as Stockton. I'm worried. If it does burn well in the summer, I will be 100% pleasantly shocked, and I will have no explanation for it, unless the analytical nature of the coal changes throughout the Mammoth vein, and its all about location.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Aug. 29, 2018 8:31 am

Sounds like a very thin fire to me if it keeps going out.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Wed. Aug. 29, 2018 9:00 am

coaledsweat wrote:
Wed. Aug. 29, 2018 8:31 am
Sounds like a very thin fire to me if it keeps going out.
It never goes out (with Blaschak). And as I've stated, I'm not squeamish, and I've pretty much ran the gamut of ashing temperature settings. 140 degrees (which is where it was set by the factory) is puff-back city. 115-120 is OK, sans for the occasional puff-back. But my manual instructs to lower the ash grate temperature during the summer months, so I'm at 105 degrees right now, and pretty much puff-back free. And for the past few years I've simply left it at 105 degrees year round (while also running nothing but Blaschak). Hysteresis is set at 1 degree. There is a clear tendency to get more puff-backs with hysteresis at 10 or 5 degrees than for 1 degree. We're only talking a few a year vs. closer to none a year though.

Nearly all of my puff-backs experienced over the years have occurred when winter turns toward summer and then again when summer turns toward winter. Except when I ran oiled coal, and got repeated puff-backs.
Last edited by lsayre on Wed. Aug. 29, 2018 9:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Aug. 29, 2018 9:13 am

F, I'm thinkin BLASCHAK website lets ya locate dealers for locations. I probably missed it but if I knew your location??????? Over the past 10 yrs, I've tried other brands coal--including including a few bags of LEHIGH--I'll personally stick with my Blaschak quote=FirstcoalstokerRon post_id=675311 time=1535505255 user_id=25956]
Seems we got off track about BASHCHAK outfires as I only had one in almost a year and it was caused by a blown grating fuse. The problem now is my last skid of pea coal is LEHIGH and I have had nine or 10 out fires in 3 weeks. I talked to ALTERNATE HEATING SYSTEMS and was told they had no idea why. I will go after a skid of BASHCHAK and see if that fixes the problem. I still only have one place to get bagged BASHCHAK pea coal in my area, if anyone knows of any others near me please let me know. Thanks again and I will let you all know if the BASHCHAK stops the out fires .
[/quote]BLASCHAK

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”