The Axeman Has Landed

User avatar
Freddy
Member
Posts: 6622
Joined: Fri. Apr. 11, 2008 2:54 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined
Location: Orrington, Maine

Post Fri. Jun. 27, 2008 5:03 pm

Looks good! Can't see the reliefe valve, but I assume it's all proper. Is that monster B&G needed? We used to replace them with 007's because the B&G's used so much electricity.

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

User avatar
Flyer5
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 10375
Joined: Sun. Oct. 21, 2007 4:23 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer
Location: Montrose PA
Contact:

Post Fri. Jun. 27, 2008 5:53 pm

"Looks good! Can't see the reliefe valve, but I assume it's all proper. Is that monster B&G needed? We used to replace them with 007's because the B&G's used so much electricity."
I hid it . :D I cant believe the electricity usage would be that noticeable .My Taco pumps pull about .65 A .The B&G is running at 1.2A . Thats only 78watts/hr vs 144watts/hr . I realize its almost double but I get much better flow volume through my 2500 ft of radiant tubing.So theoretically It should run less . Dave

User avatar
Freddy
Member
Posts: 6622
Joined: Fri. Apr. 11, 2008 2:54 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined
Location: Orrington, Maine

Post Fri. Jun. 27, 2008 7:49 pm

Ohhhh, that's not bad. The old B&G's drew over 3 amps I think. Certainly if you'r pushing a bunch of infloor you can use the extra oomph. If it ain't busted, don't fix it!

User avatar
Matthaus
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 1929
Joined: Mon. Oct. 02, 2006 8:59 am
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110 Dual Fuel, natural gas
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Lil' Heater (rental house)
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Buckwheat Anthracite
Location: Wilkes Barre, PA

Post Fri. Jun. 27, 2008 9:09 pm

Nice job Dave! Now you need to reinstall the oil for backup. :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Flyer5
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 10375
Joined: Sun. Oct. 21, 2007 4:23 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer
Location: Montrose PA
Contact:

Post Sat. Jun. 28, 2008 2:26 pm

So far 2 days of burning with 80* plus days no draft issues no bumping . So far it has very little coal I have it running 30-35 seconds every hr @140* . So far there is no ash in the ash pan it hardly used any coal ,I haven't measured the amount yet but it seems to be burning it very thoroughly . I had it turned off for about 3hrs to see how long it can maintain a fire .I could see red coals soon as I powered it back up . It didnt run very long either getting back to 140* . So my personal experience these boilers are garbage .If you have one you should sell it to me ,for scrap value . :D

User avatar
Matthaus
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 1929
Joined: Mon. Oct. 02, 2006 8:59 am
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110 Dual Fuel, natural gas
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Lil' Heater (rental house)
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Buckwheat Anthracite
Location: Wilkes Barre, PA

Post Sat. Jun. 28, 2008 4:51 pm

Yeah definitely garbage, I'll pay twice scrap value. :lol: :P

User avatar
Freddy
Member
Posts: 6622
Joined: Fri. Apr. 11, 2008 2:54 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined
Location: Orrington, Maine

Post Sat. Jun. 28, 2008 8:54 pm

Was there any special trick to get the coal lit and the Axeman going the very first time? I had a dealer tell me he always took a pail of ash with him when he went to set a new one up. Something about filling some space with ash before you allowed the coal to enter the boiler for the first time?

User avatar
Rob R.
Site Moderator
Posts: 11498
Joined: Fri. Dec. 28, 2007 4:26 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy
Location: Chazy, NY

Post Sat. Jun. 28, 2008 9:07 pm

He could have used the ash to fill the gap between the bottom lip of the firepot and the ash mechanism.

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

User avatar
Flyer5
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 10375
Joined: Sun. Oct. 21, 2007 4:23 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer
Location: Montrose PA
Contact:

Post Sat. Jun. 28, 2008 10:49 pm

I just used coal and Acet & oxy torch . Worked well some extra coal fell into the pail .I just emptied the ash pail into a coffee can and ran it through again . I was getting some dust and blowout from the baro when it would just start . Matt was over and remembered the manual showed some special tee and install directions for the damper . Oooops my bad . I now remember seeing that in the manual . Just a little rework and all will be well .When you are installing your pipe read that section well. Dave

User avatar
beatle78
Member
Posts: 1026
Joined: Wed. Oct. 03, 2007 1:46 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker KA-4
Location: Rhode Island

Post Sun. Jun. 29, 2008 2:56 pm

Flyer5 wrote:So far 2 days of burning with 80* plus days no draft issues no bumping . So far it has very little coal I have it running 30-35 seconds every hr @140* . So far there is no ash in the ash pan it hardly used any coal ,I haven't measured the amount yet but it seems to be burning it very thoroughly . I had it turned off for about 3hrs to see how long it can maintain a fire .I could see red coals soon as I powered it back up . It didnt run very long either getting back to 140* . So my personal experience these boilers are garbage .If you have one you should sell it to me ,for scrap value . :D
That's AWESOME! 2 days and no ash?

Dave, you do take showers right? :D

Is that running a dishwasher as well?

User avatar
Flyer5
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 10375
Joined: Sun. Oct. 21, 2007 4:23 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer
Location: Montrose PA
Contact:

Post Sun. Jun. 29, 2008 10:49 pm

There is ash it just didnt make it into the pail yet . Used quite a bit of hot water . Here is a pic 24hrs after shutting off electricity and it is still 130* . I am very happy with this so far .Dave
misc2, 24hr burnAA 0031.JPG

User avatar
beatle78
Member
Posts: 1026
Joined: Wed. Oct. 03, 2007 1:46 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker KA-4
Location: Rhode Island

Post Mon. Jun. 30, 2008 12:50 pm

Flyer5 wrote:There is ash it just didnt make it into the pail yet . Used quite a bit of hot water . Here is a pic 24hrs after shutting off electricity and it is still 130* . I am very happy with this so far .Dave
misc2, 24hr burnAA 0031.JPG
holy smokes, that's awesome!! 24 hours and still a fire? And you're using hot water?

If there is no ash in the pail, then to me that means no ash! :)

Unless the AA design is different where a lot of ash sits in the pot before it makes its way to the pail?

Freddy must be smiling reading all this!

User avatar
Freddy
Member
Posts: 6622
Joined: Fri. Apr. 11, 2008 2:54 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined
Location: Orrington, Maine

Post Mon. Jun. 30, 2008 2:32 pm

I'm salivating with anticipation. :) There is quite an area that holds ash before it drops into the pail.

User avatar
Flyer5
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 10375
Joined: Sun. Oct. 21, 2007 4:23 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer
Location: Montrose PA
Contact:

Post Mon. Jun. 30, 2008 4:36 pm

beatle78 wrote:
Flyer5 wrote:There is ash it just didnt make it into the pail yet . Used quite a bit of hot water . Here is a pic 24hrs after shutting off electricity and it is still 130* . I am very happy with this so far .Dave
misc2, 24hr burnAA 0031.JPG
holy smokes, that's awesome!! 24 hours and still a fire? And you're using hot water?

If there is no ash in the pail, then to me that means no ash! :)

Unless the AA design is different where a lot of ash sits in the pot before it makes its way to the pail?

Freddy must be smiling reading all this!


After shutting off power .I also switched back to the electric hot water heater . Although I think I could have stayed for the 24hrs and still had hot water . The wife would have beat me if she ran out while in the shower ,it wasn't worth the risk . :D Also the burn pan does hold a lot of the ash before it makes it to the pail ,it seems like it burned the coal up very completely looking at what is there . Dave

User avatar
beatle78
Member
Posts: 1026
Joined: Wed. Oct. 03, 2007 1:46 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker KA-4
Location: Rhode Island

Post Fri. Jul. 04, 2008 11:30 pm

Flyer5 wrote:After shutting off power .I also switched back to the electric hot water heater . Although I think I could have stayed for the 24hrs and still had hot water . The wife would have beat me if she ran out while in the shower ,it wasn't worth the risk . :D Also the burn pan does hold a lot of the ash before it makes it to the pail ,it seems like it burned the coal up very completely looking at what is there . Dave
haha, yah the risk was def. not wort the pain!!! :P

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

Post Reply

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”