AA 130 Install

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. May. 25, 2022 6:32 am

ziggy87 wrote:
Tue. May. 24, 2022 11:26 pm
Yes I will be. I will try to post some current pictures next week of what I currently have.
Go for the foil wrapped fiberglass insulation. It works much better than the foam stuff from the big box stores.

I bought mine from these guys: https://www.buyinsulationproductstore.com/Fibergl ... n-SSL-ASJ/

ziggy87
Stoker Coal Boiler: axeman anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by ziggy87 » Fri. Sep. 16, 2022 10:14 pm

Well most of the summer was pretty uneventful unit last week. I had a belt break 2 weeks ago. It was cut and I still got a year out of it. So got a new belt on and had to adjust everything. So after the belts were happy we made it 5 days and the master link on the chain came apart. I put another chain on and it was a little long. Well I got lucky the chain got wrapped up around the gear box and messed up the chain. So Wednesday evening I got a new master link and all is good now.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Sep. 17, 2022 8:28 am

You should check the output shaft of the gearbox to see if it wobbles when it is spinning. My first Axeman had the chain run off a couple times and it bent the shaft.

-Don

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Sep. 17, 2022 10:29 am

Yeah that chain can't be snug, but it can't be loose either. Because of the direction of rotation any slack will lay on the high side of the lower gear which can be a serious problem. If it spun the other way, gravity would pull the slack safely away from the lower gear. I had to install a half link to get it just right.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sun. Sep. 18, 2022 9:49 am

Rob R. wrote:
Wed. May. 25, 2022 6:32 am
Go for the foil wrapped fiberglass insulation. It works much better than the foam stuff from the big box stores.
I had been looking at this exact stuff for my project, is there "rule of thumb" for choosing the thickness or is there a diminishing rate of return on the investment so "stick with this... size ". The cost of that 2 1/2" stuff is gonna add up pretty quick :cry: . I agree the foam stuff from the box stores... lets a little bit to be desired.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Sep. 18, 2022 10:18 am

BunkerdCaddis wrote:
Sun. Sep. 18, 2022 9:49 am
I had been looking at this exact stuff for my project, is there "rule of thumb" for choosing the thickness or is there a diminishing rate of return on the investment so "stick with this... size ". The cost of that 2 1/2" stuff is gonna add up pretty quick :cry: . I agree the foam stuff from the box stores... lets a little bit to be desired.
http://buyinsulationproducts.com/Fiberglass_Pipe_ ... Guide.html

I went with 1”.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Sep. 18, 2022 6:30 pm

I used the 1 inch thick also on my near boiler black iron piping. It's plenty in my opinion..

ziggy87
Stoker Coal Boiler: axeman anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by ziggy87 » Sat. Oct. 01, 2022 3:23 pm

Lightning wrote:
Sat. Sep. 17, 2022 10:29 am
Yeah that chain can't be snug, but it can't be loose either. Because of the direction of rotation any slack will lay on the high side of the lower gear which can be a serious problem. If it spun the other way, gravity would pull the slack safely away from the lower gear. I had to install a half link to get it just right.
Yes I know what you mean. Well all is good now and back to purring like a kitten.
Don I got lucky I guess. The chain sprocket is good.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”