LL AA-220 Relocation

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Wed. Oct. 26, 2016 6:17 am

coalnewbie wrote:Healthy disagreements are the basis of a sound society. A barn to me means animals and economy of hot water for most operations means nothing as they do not use a lot of it. Also most barns are cool places and for most animals that is much healthier. A POH is great for warming stuff up like hands, boots, gloves. I am a great fan of radiant heat but of course HW radiators can do that too. Or is this "barn" really a man cave for escaping from the wife. That is fine also. :D
I purchased a new pickup last winter and knew it would not fit inside my current garage so I have this huge barn that was not really utilizing for anything and decided to make a garage out of the middle. I insulated the crap out of it, added a couple insulated overhead doors and I have a nice heated place to keep my truck and Bobcat. I also had a bunch of weights so I added a low ceiling section and set everything up for my boys to use, the boiler kept it very nice in there...unregulated of course! I don't need to keep that place 65* in the middle of winter. With a hanging coil/fan I will be able to regulate the heat or shut it off if it's to taxing on my coal consumption.

swyman

Post by swyman » Wed. Oct. 26, 2016 6:22 am

Rob R. wrote:A bilco is going to leak warm air like a sieve without a proper entry door.

I would build a bin with the idea that someday you may want to fill the hopper with an auger - so make sure there is a line of sight between the two.
My builder thinks he has a coal door he saved from a job. Once they get started on the walls I am going to figure out the best place to put a bin then have the door installed there just in case. Which leads me to my next question, do I install the boiler next to the existing basement wall so it would be kind of centrally located between old and new basements or on the West wall where the prevailing wind is? Just didn't know if that makes any difference?

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Oct. 26, 2016 6:24 am

"Bobcat and truck" --- stick with hydronics, a flame source is best left 200' away. Sounds like a wonderful place.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Oct. 26, 2016 6:24 am

"Bobcat and truck" --- stick with hydronics, a flame source is best left 200' away. Sounds like a wonderful place.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Wed. Oct. 26, 2016 6:26 am

I vote for building a simple bin inside, and dumping the coal in through a window or something, and shovel it out into your hopper for now until you purchase a auger to feed the hopper directly out of the bin. U have a bobcat so it's a no brained, after your out of coal, buy a TT load from Lehigh and your all set!

swyman

Post by swyman » Wed. Oct. 26, 2016 6:26 am

coalnewbie wrote:"Bobcat and truck" --- stick with hydronics, a flame source is best left 200' away. Sounds like a wonderful place.
They are both diesels so I would think my explosive level is non-existent!

swyman

Post by swyman » Wed. Oct. 26, 2016 6:28 am

hotblast1357 wrote:I vote for building a simple bin inside, and dumping the coal in through a window or something, and shovel it out into your hopper for now until you purchase a auger to feed the hopper directly out of the bin. U have a bobcat so it's a no brained, after your out of coal, buy a TT load from Lehigh and your all set!
If I do and auger system is it best to angle the bottom to funnel into the auger?

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Oct. 26, 2016 6:29 am

and you never store mowers, snow blowers, trimmers or chain saws or anything gasoline? In our town it is illegal and my advice stands.

swyman

Post by swyman » Wed. Oct. 26, 2016 6:54 am

coalnewbie wrote:and you never store mowers, snow blowers, trimmers or chain saws or anything gasoline?
Actually no. All that is in another barn, this is my clean place! I will be to spec here very shortly, hopefully when the basement walls get built things will start to move a little quicker and I can get this thing out of the barn/garage before I run out of coal!

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Wed. Oct. 26, 2016 7:11 am

swyman wrote:
hotblast1357 wrote:I vote for building a simple bin inside, and dumping the coal in through a window or something, and shovel it out into your hopper for now until you purchase a auger to feed the hopper directly out of the bin. U have a bobcat so it's a no brained, after your out of coal, buy a TT load from Lehigh and your all set!
If I do and auger system is it best to angle the bottom to funnel into the auger?
Depends if u want to take the time to build it, the coal will naturally funnel to the auger, then just refill it, you will just have corners full of coal that will never be used.. no big deal if u have 24 ton on site.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Oct. 26, 2016 7:59 am

swyman wrote:
coalnewbie wrote:"Bobcat and truck" --- stick with hydronics, a flame source is best left 200' away. Sounds like a wonderful place.
They are both diesels so I would think my explosive level is non-existent!
That doesn't mean you won't wrench on something with gasoline, or use solvent for cleaning. I agree with Simon that the lack of open flame in a shop is an important benefit.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Wed. Oct. 26, 2016 8:29 am

Well its not that cold out yet, he could just leave his equipment outside for now plugged in until he gets the boiler moved, if he is concerned..

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Oct. 26, 2016 6:42 pm

hotblast1357 wrote:Well its not that cold out yet, he could just leave his equipment outside for now plugged in until he gets the boiler moved, if he is concerned..
There is no concern with diesel equipment. My point was that a shop rarely stays diesel-only for long.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Wed. Oct. 26, 2016 7:03 pm

Rob R. wrote:
hotblast1357 wrote:Well its not that cold out yet, he could just leave his equipment outside for now plugged in until he gets the boiler moved, if he is concerned..
There is no concern with diesel equipment. My point was that a shop rarely stays diesel-only for long.
I understand that, just saying for the concern of everyone else here if he's that worried about it he just leave everything outside.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Oct. 26, 2016 7:17 pm

swyman wrote:
Rob R. wrote:A bilco is going to leak warm air like a sieve without a proper entry door.

I would build a bin with the idea that someday you may want to fill the hopper with an auger - so make sure there is a line of sight between the two.
My builder thinks he has a coal door he saved from a job. Once they get started on the walls I am going to figure out the best place to put a bin then have the door installed there just in case. Which leads me to my next question, do I install the boiler next to the existing basement wall so it would be kind of centrally located between old and new basements or on the West wall where the prevailing wind is? Just didn't know if that makes any difference?
Put the boiler where it simplifies the coal & ash handling. Beyond that, if moving it one way or the other reduces the amount of system and/or flue pipe, do that.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”