LL AA-220 Relocation

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Apr. 11, 2018 2:19 pm

It is a shame to build a machine with the "weak link" being a "crappy gearmotor"...

Olllotj
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KB-8
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat
Other Heating: Utica Propane Hot Water

Post by Olllotj » Wed. Apr. 11, 2018 6:27 pm

Can you show us the motor, or a part number that failed? I’m interested in the design.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Apr. 12, 2018 6:18 am

Mine have lasted 5 years and seem fine. Many variables here.

They do get crudded up with fines etc. and bad coal can jam them up. Clean, well-sized coal and two or three times a season turn off the stove and take the feeder assemblies out and clean them up as part of the in season maintenance. No one match club honors for you. Breach, exit pipes and inner stove pipes need cleaning to. That is a partial list. You change the oil in your car, well love your stove too. All mission critical parts of your life need attention.

A 220, so I guess you burn at least 7 tons a year. TT load? Get it straight from the breaker. Anthracite does not like being moved around that much. More fines=more trouble. Some stoves are better than others in dealing with this. Other than me, nothing in this world is perfect.

Keep a spare on hand.

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Thu. Apr. 12, 2018 11:55 am

coalnewbie wrote:
Thu. Apr. 12, 2018 6:18 am
Mine have lasted 5 years and seem fine. Many variables here.

They do get crudded up with fines etc. and bad coal can jam them up. Clean, well-sized coal and two or three times a season turn off the stove and take the feeder assemblies out and clean them up as part of the in season maintenance. No one match club honors for you. Breach, exit pipes and inner stove pipes need cleaning to. That is a partial list. You change the oil in your car, well love your stove too. All mission critical parts of your life need attention.

A 220, so I guess you burn at least 7 tons a year. TT load? Get it straight from the breaker. Anthracite does not like being moved around that much. More fines=more trouble. Some stoves are better than others in dealing with this. Other than me, nothing in this world is perfect.

Keep a spare on hand.
Damn you're good! 8 tons burned this year, I take my truck and trailer to Tamaqua once a year ( in summer to get discount pricing) and get my yearly supply. I don't get it straight out of the breaker however.....they fill me with an end loader on top of the mountain from the storage piles. Still great quality, some fines but no issues. I can honestly say I only clean the hopper and feed carpets during shutdown.....possibly this week. My neighbor/LL dealer has a couple of these in stock so I am all set.

swyman

Post by swyman » Thu. Apr. 12, 2018 11:57 am

Olllotj wrote:
Wed. Apr. 11, 2018 6:27 pm
Can you show us the motor, or a part number that failed? I’m interested in the design.
McGievers pic is correct

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Apr. 13, 2018 4:21 am

Glue a washer over motor spindle bearing to ensure clearance and put a cheap Peltier cooler over it. The replacements motors are $130 and climbing. However, regular stove shut downs and cleaning are best. I do mine early Jan. That lets the HO system run for a day and that is good too.

swyman

Post by swyman » Fri. Apr. 13, 2018 2:56 pm

coalnewbie wrote:
Fri. Apr. 13, 2018 4:21 am
Glue a washer over motor spindle bearing to ensure clearance and put a cheap Peltier cooler over it. The replacements motors are $130 and climbing. However, regular stove shut downs and cleaning are best. I do mine early Jan. That lets the HO system run for a day and that is good too.
Thanks for the info.....need to clean this also. Last year 2 years I cleaned every 5 ton. This year I did it about every ton and a half and learned it didn't take as long and therefore never lost a fire. Also didn't need to wire brush the heat tubes, just the suction of the vacuum did the trick due to less buildup.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Apr. 14, 2018 5:30 am

Also didn't need to wire brush the heat tubes, just the suction of the vacuum did the trick due to less buildup.
Such a smart man, yep it's easy that way. Another tip is forget the anti rust spray spring cleanup and storage. I just put a 300w heater in the stove (remember CN say overkill is good but more overkill is better) and at the end of the summer it looks like I just left it. I'm to lazy to do this spraying chit and you will never completely cover behind the pipes anyway. My chimney piping does not rust either.

Or .... if you want to minimize electric bill install 5 acres of solar panels to offset the cost. Of course, it must be kept going 24 hours a day so a Powerwall or two will be required. :D

swyman

Post by swyman » Thu. Jul. 19, 2018 6:58 am

Why am I getting excited about coal so soon??? It's July 17th and a week ago we had record setting temps and all I can think about is getting my coal and building a storage bin in the basement! Am I getting old?

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Thu. Jul. 19, 2018 4:29 pm

I don't think so... I burn all summer for DHW and was working on a new coal chute today to make bulk deliveries easier!!! It is a great hobby...

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Thu. Jul. 19, 2018 8:46 pm

I have my Van Wert VA-600 running right now in the basement chew'in on the last ton of rice coal. But I can't wait to get my Axeman Anderson 130M put back together and fired up in the garage!

Yes, it's kind of crazy, but coal stokers are the cheapest hobby I ever had, AND they heat the house too!

Heating with coal gives you a kind of independence you don't get from most other areas of life. It's inexpensive and you have control over it.

-Don

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Thu. Jul. 19, 2018 9:22 pm

I can’t wait to get this years TT load so I can test out my new auger and fire the boiler back up!!

swyman

Post by swyman » Fri. Jul. 20, 2018 5:49 am

hotblast1357 wrote:
Thu. Jul. 19, 2018 9:22 pm
I can’t wait to get this years TT load so I can test out my new auger and fire the boiler back up!!
Seen that setup, looks like that is going to save a lot of work! I have been banging my head against the wall about how I want to transfer coal from the storage bin to the hopper. Looking for small augers and flex auger systems but I haven't been able to find any used stuff and new is pretty pricey so I have decided to go vacuum. I built a vac system when I first ventured into alternative heating with corn and it worked very well. I like the fact that it removed all the fines which could help me in this situation. I have decided to go all in on buck this year. I burned 5 ton of it 2 seasons ago and worked well, last season I was all rice because I thought it was easier to handle with buckets which I have NO intention of using this year! Still need to get my bin built and get some holes in the bottom of my totes so I can make a chute to get it in the basement. Want to get it done before I get my coal so I can immediately get it in the basement while it's wet to keep dust down.
I'm going to build my bin out of wood, do you think I should lay plastic down first?

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Fri. Jul. 20, 2018 8:17 am

Plastic for what?

swyman

Post by swyman » Fri. Jul. 20, 2018 9:55 am

hotblast1357 wrote:
Fri. Jul. 20, 2018 8:17 am
Plastic for what?
For the floor....was going to make a 2x4 skinned with 1/2" plywood floor and walls.....Need to make 2 walls and wanted them about 6' high. Thinking of 2x4 on 16 stud walls for coal bin. Do I need a wood floor or should I just lay it on the concrete? I didn't know how wet that coal is going to be which is why I wondered about the plastic? I don't usually start digging in the coal till October and it's pretty wet then...I do have about 30 holes in each tote so any excess water will drain but it's still always wet.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”