LL AA-220 Relocation

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 6:32 am

nepacoal wrote:
Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 6:08 am
Did you use long sweep 90's or just regular ones? My long sweep 90's seem to be holding up really well, plus I just used RTV on the 90's so they could be pulled apart and replaced (that's the plan, anyway)
Just used the regular ones.....sweeps would have been a better install. I wasn't even thinking when I bought the parts! Oh, and I thought is would be a great idea to glue all the parts except the end connections! I like the RTV idea better now!
Last edited by swyman on Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 6:37 am

hotblast1357 wrote:
Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 6:17 am
Your welcome for the Tstat setup.

I’m very interested in your results once you get the 260 in.
X2... someone on here brought up a really good point. The size of the fire in a 260 is what 15" in diameter and 4-6" thick? Compared to my 2 little stoker beds that burn about 6" long, maybe 8" wide, and 2" deep. Nowhere near the mass of fire! That 260 should just cruise in comparison because my LL is really close to keeping up!

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 6:57 am

Ya there a heat monster.

What are you waiting on to get yours in?

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 7:12 am

hotblast1357 wrote:
Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 6:57 am
Ya there a heat monster.

What are you waiting on to get yours in?
2 things, I still have 5 ton of rice to burn and I don't have a chimney. Glad this has been a mild winter as the LL is keeping up nicely so far. Last season I burned about 70% of the 80% that was in my propane tank during the heating season. This season we have only had 2 cold spells so my furnace had to help but has been very limited.....only when we get below 25* with strong West winds.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 8:49 am

Well that’s a bummer, I’d have a hard time not throwing up a insulated chimney now lol

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 9:08 am

swyman wrote:
Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 5:23 am
When I did the addition on the house I did a full basement under it just so I had a place to put that boiler and after doing so I would not have it anywhere else! I love the heat it puts in the whole basement but I really don't feel any difference directly above it? And the infrared gun backs up my senses. Not sure if there is to much to penetrate having the floor, carpet pad, and carpet? I really thought I would get some floor heat, infrared reads 95-98 degrees in the basement ceiling under the boiler and my couch is directly above it. The Leisure Line is insulated so the Axeman should heat it up even more? Right now the thermostat on the wall fluctuates between 84-90 degrees depending how hard the boiler is running.
Several years ago, I took my AA 260 offline for the winter to replumb the spaghetti mess of pipes in the basement. While the AA was offline, we were only using the oil burner for heat. I live in a twin farmhouse with a shared basement. The AA is under my mother in law's side of the house.

It was mid January when my mother in law was over for Saturday night dinner when she pointed her finger at me and said
"YOU WILL HAVE THAT COAL HEATER RUNNING FOR NEXT SEASON !!!! "

The difference in a heated basement may not readily appear, but it is noticeable over a long period of time. And she had the exact same as you. Living room directly above the AA, wooden floor boards covered by carpet and padding, and the sofa, recliner, and main TV in that room.

Rick

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 10:05 am

He’s lived in this house long before putting the boiler in the basement, pretty sure he would of noticed a difference.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 12:11 pm

Our cats certainly notice the heat transfer through the basement ceiling/first level floor! When they are not in the basement baking in front of the stoker, they consistently sleep on two spots on the first floor that have one less layer of plywood where floor vent cut outs used to be. This is the second batch of cats to do this, they must have sensitive temp sensors in their paws.

What does the IR temp sensor say about the floor temps over your additions basement versus floor temps over the crawl space? My IR sensor shows a 4* floor temp difference between the full basement where the stoker is versus the attached full basement that is under the addition we built. There is a 4' opening between the basements allowing stoker heat to migrate over there, air temps are about 5* warmer in the stoker basement versus the basement of the addition.

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 11:25 pm

hotblast1357 wrote:
Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 10:05 am
He’s lived in this house long before putting the boiler in the basement, pretty sure he would of noticed a difference.
Kinda hard to say, the addition and the boiler went in at the same time. Where the original wall was there were 2 windows and there were HVAC supply vents at each window, I left both of them in place once the wall was opened up to the new room (I removed the duct of course, just open vent to basement). You can really feel the heat coming up through those from the basement and it is constant. That is why last winter I was thinking about cutting a hole in the floor behind the couch (right over the boiler) and have that constant heat flowing in the new room but you guys all talked me out of it. Kind of glad I didn't as I think I would not like the noise from the boiler operating.

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 11:31 pm

titleist1 wrote:
Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 12:11 pm
Our cats certainly notice the heat transfer through the basement ceiling/first level floor! When they are not in the basement baking in front of the stoker, they consistently sleep on two spots on the first floor that have one less layer of plywood where floor vent cut outs used to be. This is the second batch of cats to do this, they must have sensitive temp sensors in their paws.

What does the IR temp sensor say about the floor temps over your additions basement versus floor temps over the crawl space?
I have never checked that, will do it and post results. I have 3 supply and return pex runs that run together between the floor joists and our cat will lay above that spot. I also remember reading in one of Dan Holman's books that they would take a cat with them trying to locate where the heat runs were in a poured slab. The cat would always lay down in a hot spot! Found that to be very interesting.

swyman

Post by swyman » Wed. Jan. 22, 2020 8:15 am

Ok, here are the infrared results on the carpet of 1st floor. 70 in room next to addition, 67 in bedroom, kitchen is a 420 soft addition with a crawl space and tile and reads 62 and the new livingroom addition it's 71. However I have a 3' round automan on wheels and when i move it and read the temp it is 79 so I am getting heat through the floor, just can't feel it. You guys think I should run pex under that kitchen floor? That would be a huge radiator!

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Wed. Jan. 22, 2020 9:36 am

I would do in floor radiant heat wherever you can.

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Thu. Jan. 23, 2020 9:19 am

swyman wrote:
Wed. Jan. 22, 2020 8:15 am
Ok, here are the infrared results on the carpet of 1st floor. 70 in room next to addition, 67 in bedroom, kitchen is a 420 soft addition with a crawl space and tile and reads 62 and the new livingroom addition it's 71. However I have a 3' round automan on wheels and when i move it and read the temp it is 79 so I am getting heat through the floor, just can't feel it. You guys think I should run pex under that kitchen floor? That would be a huge radiator!

As an old corn boiler guy :out: from the midwest used to say "it depends." As in "it depends" on whether you would like the kitchen to be warmer than it is now. If so, yeah some in floor radiant would make a big difference in the kitchen temps.

Rick

swyman

Post by swyman » Thu. Jan. 23, 2020 11:27 pm

Rick 386 wrote:
Thu. Jan. 23, 2020 9:19 am
As an old corn boiler guy :out: from the midwest used to say "it depends." As in "it depends" on whether you would like the kitchen to be warmer than it is now. If so, yeah some in floor radiant would make a big difference in the kitchen temps.

Rick
I have 14' ceilings in the kitchen and it is the coldest room in the house. My wife would love to have it warmer so this should be another thing to add to the list of things to do in 2020!

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Jan. 24, 2020 9:55 am

swyman wrote:
Thu. Jan. 23, 2020 11:27 pm
I have 14' ceilings in the kitchen and it is the coldest room in the house. My wife would love to have it warmer so this should be another thing to add to the list of things to do in 2020!
If that doesn't make it priority #1 then you are on borrowed time!! :lol:

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”