LL AA-220 Relocation

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 12:06 pm

I hope the other guys that are in the process of starting their new 220 boilers post so I have some real world information about these boilers. Only found 1 other guy on here that had one and he had about the same problems as I encountered and gave up and sold it. He was in a shed away from the house like I used to be.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 1:36 pm

Time for a call to LL to see what the stokers should push on each grate...

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 3:19 pm

Feeding Coal.gif
.GIF | 130.1KB | Feeding Coal.gif

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 4:22 pm

That poor kids pile doesn't seem to ever get any smaller, Larry... :lol:

swyman

Post by swyman » Fri. Oct. 19, 2018 7:58 am

Woke up this morning and had a call for heat, all was good and wife tells me how much she likes the hot water! Then I heard the thermostat click for a call for heat and I didn't hear the furnace blower kick on...only to hear the furnace fire start which means the boiler temp was down to 150. By the time I got dressed and went to the basement it was back up to 180 but it is 31 outside.....to early and warm for the boiler not to be able to keep up. I adjusted the stokers before bed last night and the left had an inch of ash like it's supposed to for optimum setting but the the right one had 2 inches so I adjusted that to get it where it needs to be. Will keep trying to get the most out of this as I can.... may be the last season for this boiler as it is putting out less than half of what it's supposed to. I am thinking of going back out to the barn with a different boiler as a different boiler will have to have a chimney and I cannot afford what it costs to put one up. In the barn I could do it myself without messing anything up. I didn't have any issues with the OWB and if this unit I have put out 3/4's of what I thought I was getting I would not have had an issue either.....unless I am missing something???? Frustrated to say the least

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Fri. Oct. 19, 2018 8:10 am

Swyman, you need to give Leasure Line a call in regard to pushing only 10 lbs./hr instead of the rated 18.

Does your LL AA-220 boiler fire automatically at the very onset of a heat call from any/all of your T-Stats? If not, it needs to be set up that way so it isn't always losing the game of catch up.

swyman

Post by swyman » Fri. Oct. 19, 2018 8:28 am

lsayre wrote:
Fri. Oct. 19, 2018 8:10 am
Swyman, you need to give Leasure Line a call in regard to pushing only 10 lbs./hr instead of the rated 18.

Does your boiler fire automatically at the very onset of a heat call from a T-Stat? If not, it needs to be set up that way so it isn't always losing the game of catch up.
I will run another test before I call just to be sure because I want it run to get everything in working condition if that makes sense.... installed the new stoker bed but the other was little rough so might polish itself a little running the coal over it for a week or so?
I do not have the boiler set up to fire with every heat call and don't know why I did not think of this earlier.....thank you that makes perfect sense!

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 7:52 am

Next question is anyone know how to set up boiler control so it will fire when there is a call for heat? I mean I get that I need to use thermostat wire which I will run from my pump controller which turns on from a heat call so that should work to fire the boiler controls correct? Only thing I'm worried about is the connecting the burner circuit.... I haven't checked but I assume that right now is run off the high limit in the aquastat (Hydrostat 3250) so my concern is that if I run the tstat wire to that while the aquastat is bringing boiler temp up, I will blow a fuse since I will have 2 voltage inputs? I first have to verify that the burner circuit is 24V, it may be 120V? Not sure if that makes sense but last year when setting my Taco pump controller up I kept blowing fuses and that was do to the controller itself has it's own 24V and the tstat was sending 24V on a call and would blow fuse. I installed a relay to correct but not sure how to do it with the aquastat.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 8:19 am

You just have to connect the end switch in your zone control to the TT terminals in the Hydrostat control.

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 8:35 am

Rob R. wrote:
Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 8:19 am
You just have to connect the end switch in your zone control to the TT terminals in the Hydrostat control.
Thanks Rob, I will dig into it when I get home tonight. Is the end switch the one that supplies the 120v to the circulator?

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 8:46 am

No. If you tie into that be prepared to see some smoke.

What you need is a dry contact, with no voltage across the terminals. If you provide the make and model of your zone control that would help.

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 8:52 am

Pump control.PNG
.PNG | 165.3KB | Pump control.PNG
Rob R. wrote:
Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 8:46 am
No. If you tie into that be prepared to see some smoke.

What you need is a dry contact, with no voltage across the terminals. If you provide the make and model of your zone control that would help.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 9:08 am

On the left end of the thermostat by zones connections bar at top/center there is a connection marked XX which is detailed to be connected to TT on boiler. I believe this might be what Rob is suggesting. But I'm certainly no expert here, and I would ask Rob or McGiever to confirm. See image attached:
Taco SR 503-4.png
.PNG | 51.7KB | Taco SR 503-4.png

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 9:17 am

Wiring.JPG
.JPG | 28.7KB | Wiring.JPG

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 9:20 am

Thank you guys, that is a simple connection! Will report back when I get hooked up.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”