LL AA-220 Relocation

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 7:56 am

hotblast1357 wrote:
Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 7:42 am
The stoker is pushing Unburnt coal out of the hopper wether it’s burning or not so?
Does the caking kind of hold up the coal as it's being pushed? I mean add resistance and is that where the coal depth comes from? Not sure if I worded that right....

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 8:04 am

Turbogeno wrote:
Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 7:33 am
That didn't work on my Pocono. It it appears pushing unburnt coal is harder and skews the results. I had to have a running stove set at a fixed feed rate for a fixed amount of time and weigh the coal that went back into the hopper. I only ran the test once. YMMV

Is Heat Output Linear in a Stove Using a Coal-Trol?
My take on what was said.... pushing coal across the grate with no fire is more difficult for the pusher than when it has air & ashes too.SO, the pusher struggles to push non-burning coal mass across the grate which skews the results as the struggling pusher is slower than when air & ashes are in the mix. :)
Any further splainin' needed :?: :lol:

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 9:03 am

Shane, you will never know anything about this boiler and will never figure anything out either! Lol

swyman

Post by swyman » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 10:02 am

windyhill4.2 wrote:
Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 8:04 am
My take on what was said.... pushing coal across the grate with no fire is more difficult for the pusher than when it has air & ashes too.SO, the pusher struggles to push non-burning coal mass across the grate which skews the results as the struggling pusher is slower than when air & ashes are in the mix. :)
Not completely true as there will be air running because the stoker feed carpet and the blowers are wired together and as far as the ash goes ideally there is only supposed to be about 1" before falling in to the ash pan. I usually run a little more ash thinking that I will get a complete burn of the coal but I am probably wrong?

swyman

Post by swyman » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 10:06 am

hotblast1357 wrote:
Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 9:03 am
Shane, you will never know anything about this boiler and will never figure anything out either! Lol
I am actually kind of excited to perform this test actually! Maybe it will not be 100% correct but I'm intrigued non the less! I learn more about this stuff everyday thanks to this forum and it's members good or bad. Just wish I wasn't the only one on here with this boiler model! Still absolutely love burning coal and I'm addicted to this forum! Look forward to the day of getting a stoker stove for the barn just so I have something else to tinker with!

Turbogeno
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pocono
Hand Fed Coal Stove: VC Vigilant II at home and a military surplus tent heater at camp
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Rice and Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water baseboard and DHW

Post by Turbogeno » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 11:54 am

windyhill4.2 wrote:
Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 8:04 am
Yup, that's it.
I doubt the air helps or hinders much but I do know that ash is lighter than unburnt coal. I did run the test before putting a damper on the combustion blower so I had a lot of ash and a relatively thin area of burning coal. LL doesn't recommend a damper but Ive found it helps.

swyman

Post by swyman » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 12:02 pm

Turbogeno wrote:
Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 11:54 am
Yup, that's it.
I doubt the air helps or hinders much but I do know that ash is lighter than unburnt coal.
Then it should be a non issue since my burning coal to ash is only 1 1/2" from the end of the shelf!

Olllotj
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KB-8
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat
Other Heating: Utica Propane Hot Water

Post by Olllotj » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 12:47 pm

So, is the barn loop still off? How has it been doing?

swyman

Post by swyman » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 2:15 pm

Olllotj wrote:
Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 12:47 pm
So, is the barn loop still off? How has it been doing?
I have the barn loop open but not using a circulator. Mainly because I do not want the system to freeze. Maybe it wouldn't...I don't know. The barn is actually staying above 40* on the coldest days with no circulator running or fan on the heat exchanger so I am happy about that. Can't wait to get a stove in there so I have a place to actually sit and watch a coal fire!

swyman

Post by swyman » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 2:18 pm

swyman wrote:
Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 2:15 pm
I have the barn loop open but not using a circulator. Mainly because I do not want the system to freeze. Maybe it wouldn't...I don't know. The barn is actually staying above 40* on the coldest days with no circulator running or fan on the heat exchanger so I am happy about that. Can't wait to get a stove in there so I have a place to actually sit and watch a coal fire! My system is keeping up almost 100%. There are just a few (very few) times that the propane fire on the furnace will come on which is set by a strap on aquastat when the boiler temp goes down to 165* and resets at 180*. Since the last cleaning 4 days ago I am still running the power vent at a reduced speed to see if it has an effect on the fly ash at the fan. OPPS I QUOTED MYSELF INSTEAD OF EDIT>>>SORRY

B&A railroad
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure line aa220
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Railroad pot belly station heater
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by B&A railroad » Sat. Mar. 17, 2018 7:19 pm

Just got an LL220, I look forward to getting some ideas.mine is going in the basement as well,luckily I have a double brick chimney already.good luck with your project.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Mar. 17, 2018 8:27 pm

Welcome to the forum B&A,

Feel free to start a new thread with your new AA220. It would be nice to see another one of these units and how it operates.

-Don

swyman

Post by swyman » Sat. Mar. 31, 2018 7:46 am

B&A railroad wrote:
Sat. Mar. 17, 2018 7:19 pm
Just got an LL220, I look forward to getting some ideas.mine is going in the basement as well,luckily I have a double brick chimney already.good luck with your project.
Haven't been on in a while.... I'm 3 seasons deep so far and I will help you anyway I can!

swyman

Post by swyman » Wed. Apr. 11, 2018 10:15 am

Had my first breakdown! Came home to a cold boiler, combustion fan running, no fire and ash pan not full of fresh coal. Carpet gearmotor not turning..... No biggie, nice thing about having 2 stokers is to just fire the other one up! I have only been using one since this weather is so messed up. Ready to shut down but mother nature says I have to keep burning! I may do a test also.....shut off the supply and return valves on the boiler and just use for domestic hot water and see how much coal I use? Probably need a dump zone huh?

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Apr. 11, 2018 11:41 am

Don't cut off the dump zone.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”