Out With the Wood, in With Coal- "The 350 Build"

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Mon. Apr. 07, 2008 4:14 pm

Are the auger feed mechanisms all at a fixed angle or can that be adjusted?

It looks like that auger was trimmed to a smaller size and the 55 gallon drum was rasied off the floor?

Something like that could work out VERY well for me b/c I have a full size window right near where I want to put my boiler so I could just dump the coal into the bin from the window :)

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Mon. Apr. 07, 2008 4:29 pm

The latest picture is of a 700 model. The current models don't have the 90 degree worm. The 700 has been out of production for about 30 years.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Apr. 07, 2008 4:50 pm

To add to Stoker-mans info.. the worms come in various lengths,, and are threaded together.. pieces of auger tube are added with connectors.. the auger angle on the EFM 350 and 520 are at a fixed angle. It is not quite horizontal,, drops maybe 1" in 3' of travel? maybe 2" in 3'... and the auger is inline with the stoker motor and firepot.. it doesn't turn 90* like the one in the photo above..

Here is the stoker for a 520..see the rod sticking out of the base of the firepot opposite from the motor and fan?? that is where the auger and feed tube go.. they are fixed,, no adjustments for angle

Have you gone to http://www.efmheating.com then clicked on 'Manuals' there is a good manual for the 520 online.
EFMside.jpg
.JPG | 60.4KB | EFMside.jpg
EFMtop.jpg
.JPG | 84.2KB | EFMtop.jpg

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.

Post by stoker-man » Mon. Apr. 07, 2008 6:23 pm

was that off a warm air unit? What's the serial nr. on the stoker?

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Mon. Apr. 07, 2008 7:03 pm

WOODSUCKS wrote:After running for about 36 hrs and have had the auger assy and pipe taken back apart with no binding or nothing jammed in the pipe , If you hand crank the auger it is a little harder on 1/2 of the rev but not binding, On that harder rev is when the noise is heard by where the motor goes into the gear box, maybe a bearing or shim , bushing?, I do need to replace the connecting rod, rod stud, crank pin and the clutch shaft because they are very worn with alot of play, The connecting rod holes are ovaled Enough to change how many teeth are grabbed,I think I can upgrade to the feed control collar, would it be best to buy an assy? Thanks.......

Just a Thought did you fill the gear box with oil & the Reservoir because they are both empty out so when you move them there is no mess as Steve told Scott nothing will be tight or will be filled so try filling the gear box up with gear oil if you did not already if you have any Question PM Scrapper 23JR /Steve he will have any Parts that you might need however he goes over everthing and runs them before they are sold so PM him or call him after 7:00 PM

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Mon. Apr. 07, 2008 7:12 pm

LsFarm wrote:No, that photo is of an EFM 700, it is one of several photos I got from a rebuilder offering it for sale.. Yes it is all rebuilt and looks new..

Two interesting things about this stoker,, the top ring, the perimeter of the burn pot is chain driven to rotate.. I'm not positive if the whole pot rotates.. I think the idea is to keep the ash falling off the edges more evenly, and to keep the feed of fresh coal from below to be spread out evenly.. the way an auger feeds the pot from the bottom it creates a sort of pattern of fresh fuel feeding the fire.. it creates a few warmer/cooler spots.

The other thing is the sideways pointed auger.. the auger feeds coal from beside the stoker instead of from the opposite side of the stoker there is a gearbox changing the rotation of the auger 90*.
DSCN1771.JPG

All EFM 700 900 & 1300 are rotating pots the 350 & 520 are not the other differents are the worm on 350 & 520 are 1 1/2
in with a 2 inch tube The 700 900 & 1300 worms are 2 1/2 in. and use a 3in tube they are made to Run buckwheat size
coal 350 & 520 Are made to run Rice size coal but if you have a good draft & the buck is not big in size you can run buck
to in the 350 & 520
Last edited by coal berner on Mon. Apr. 07, 2008 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Mon. Apr. 07, 2008 7:32 pm

LsFarm wrote:To add to Stoker-mans info.. the worms come in various lengths,, and are threaded together.. pieces of auger tube are added with connectors.. the auger angle on the EFM 350 and 520 are at a fixed angle. It is not quite horizontal,, drops maybe 1" in 3' of travel? maybe 2" in 3'... and the auger is inline with the stoker motor and firepot.. it doesn't turn 90* like the one in the photo above..

Here is the stoker for a 520..see the rod sticking out of the base of the firepot opposite from the motor and fan?? that is where the auger and feed tube go.. they are fixed,, no adjustments for angle

Have you gone to http://www.efmheating.com then clicked on 'Manuals' there is a good manual for the 520 online.
EFMside.jpg
EFMtop.jpg
There are two size worms the short one is is 46 1/2 in. the long one is
68 1/2 in. the small auger tube should be 24 in. the long tube should be 62 1/2 in. so you have 6 in. of the worm sticking
out of the tube when feeding out of the bin When using the short worm there will only be 17 in. sticking out of the side of the boiler so you might need to extend the worm with another short one or a long to give more room between the boiler and bin they have collets to to extend the tubes together The worms are REV.Thereded

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Mon. Apr. 07, 2008 7:43 pm

stokerscot wrote:Lsfarm. Is that the infamous EFM 1300 that was told about. What, 50lbs per hour? Feed the pig!!! :) Scott
1300 can do 80 to 100 lbs Per hr.

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Mon. Apr. 07, 2008 7:50 pm

LsFarm wrote:

Ahh yes I see.....

haha, no I didn't RFM :oops:

I'll have to swing over there to take a look.

oilman

Post by oilman » Tue. Apr. 08, 2008 9:08 pm

LsFarm wrote:To add to Stoker-mans info.. the worms come in various lengths,, and are threaded together.. pieces of auger tube are added with connectors.. the auger angle on the EFM 350 and 520 are at a fixed angle. It is not quite horizontal,, drops maybe 1" in 3' of travel? maybe 2" in 3'... and the auger is inline with the stoker motor and firepot.. it doesn't turn 90* like the one in the photo above..

EFMside.jpg
EFMtop.jpg
Hey, that didn't arrive in Michigan in the back of a volkswagen did it?? :D :)
Stokerman, it was off a 50's era warm air unit. Dark Blue.

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.

Post by stoker-man » Tue. Apr. 08, 2008 9:54 pm

Yes, I checked and it was sent to NY on an AF100 in 1953

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Apr. 09, 2008 2:50 am

Do you guys remember the name of the folks who bought it?? :lol: :lol: :D I wonder why it was taken out of service?? The EFM furnace converted to oil maybe ??

Hey oilman where ya been??? I almost never see you on the forum anymore !!

Greg L

oilman

Post by oilman » Wed. Apr. 09, 2008 7:16 am

Well Greg, to make a long story short, I thought this site had closed for some reason. The furnace in question did come out in favor of an oil furnace, just like most of them. As I told you before, we had quite a few around in the 80's but the owners got too old to handle it or died off.

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.

Post by stoker-man » Wed. Apr. 09, 2008 11:09 am

Your stoker was used with an AF100. Sold to Zenda's Coal and Lumber, Wolcott, NY on 11/3/53.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”