Running EFM 520 Boiler This Summer

Stoker Coal Boilers automatically feed the coal and have controls and pumps just like any conventions boiler. They are intended to be used as a primary heat and often have domestic hot water coils as an added bonus. They can be set up independently or in dual sytem with your existing oil/gas boiler. They can accommodate both hot water base board or steam plumbing.
stoakerdude
Stove/Furnace Make: efm
Stove/Furnace Model: 250

Post Thu. Mar. 13, 2008 7:33 pm

planning running efm stoker this summer.What adjustments would you suggest for summer use? Currently have the aquastat set at 180 and 160 with the feed rate at 4 teeth and air at four.Runs very well with these settings.Stoakerdude

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post Thu. Mar. 13, 2008 7:40 pm

You can turn down the low limit to 140 and set the high limit at 190, otherwise you may have problems with the fire going out. Your boiler will maintain 140 degrees. If you don't need the water that hot, reduce the low limit and high limit accordingly as long as you don't have chimney draft problems. Make sure your timer works and is set for about 3 minutes per half hour. Leave the feed and air where they are.
‹(•¿•)›

[email protected]
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska stoker

Post Tue. Mar. 25, 2008 7:23 pm

I currently have an oil boiler for heat and domestic, alaska stoker upstairs. interested in a coal boiler that will work in-line with my oil boiler. I am looking for a reputable top line hassle free coal boiler system. Also I currently burn 3 to 31/2 tons peer year, What can I expect for coal use per year with a typical boiler considering 2400 sq' in central NY. Any recommendations are appreciated

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post Tue. Mar. 25, 2008 7:46 pm

Efm 520 stoker of course!!!!!! These things are the nuts. If money is an issue try a reconditioned one. They run like new and really are quite a machine! :D :D Scott
I think a man does what he can, untill his destiny is revealed. Right now that is trying to sell my EFM plate boilers in 520 and 700 sizes.

e.alleg
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 520

Post Wed. Apr. 02, 2008 3:07 pm

How important is it to turn down the feed/air for the summer? I got my boiler set up almost perfectly, I'm afraid to touch it now for fear of having to do the adjustment game for a week next season. Will it hurt or really waste that much more coal to leave it at 6 teeth vs. turning I t down to 3 teeth?
Burning coal is definitely worth the extra work involved.
"Good enough" is not good enough.

coal berner
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF
Stove/Furnace Make: Electric Furnace Man
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post Wed. Apr. 02, 2008 3:19 pm

e.alleg wrote:How important is it to turn down the feed/air for the summer? I got my boiler set up almost perfectly, I'm afraid to touch it now for fear of having to do the adjustment game for a week next season. Will it hurt or really waste that much more coal to leave it at 6 teeth vs. turning I t down to 3 teeth?
put it at 4 teeth & 4 air you should be fine if
it it still to much then go to 3 teeth & 3 1/2 air if you look in your book you will see the chart the only time you keep the
teeth & air setting the same is on 4 teeth any other setting you keep the air a 1/2 above the feed rate try it and see how it works you can always go back to you normal setting
J.C.

Heating house & water with a 1986 electric furnace man DF520 using buckwheat Anthracite coal

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

Sting
Other Heating: OBSO Lennox Pulse "Air Scorcher" burning NG

Post Wed. Apr. 02, 2008 4:20 pm

stoker-man wrote:You can turn down the low limit to 140 and set the high limit at 190, otherwise you may have problems with the fire going out. Your boiler will maintain 140 degrees. If you don't need the water that hot, reduce the low limit and high limit accordingly as long as you don't have chimney draft problems. .
Will you begin to condense products of combustion on the vessel and fire tubes if run lower than 140??????
When you turn your boiler on -Does it return the favor?
I have finally lost my mind. Don't bother to return it. It wasn't working properly anyway!

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post Wed. Apr. 02, 2008 6:21 pm

Normally, we would tell you to keep your coal feed and air settings as they are, but maybe you could try 4 teeth for the summer. Just remember your original settings for when you switch back.

I've always set my boiler at 140 and never had any problems with it, but that's only my experience.
‹(•¿•)›

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic and Steam)”