Van Wert VA600 Rebuild

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Mon. May. 16, 2016 7:22 pm

The DHW coil nuts may need a tweak once the boiler is cool. Things contract a bit when the temperature goes from 180* down to 65*. Clean the fly ash out of it so it doesn't rust up. Pull the stove pipe off, clean it and put it in a dry place. Cap the outlet and put a 40 watt light inside to keep it dry.

I don't know how difficult it would be on your setup but it might be a good idea to clean the coal out of the pot and feed pipes to keep them from corroding.

-Don

alpineboard
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert 600
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarm 202
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman HXL, 150, Crane 88, Crane 404
Other Heating: Solar

Post by alpineboard » Mon. May. 16, 2016 8:24 pm

Thanks Don, great idea on the 40 w light bulb. I already got next years rice coal in the driveway. Rob

alpineboard

Post by alpineboard » Sun. Jan. 08, 2017 7:13 pm

Saw this on a guys face book page, just met him and this went to the dump a year ago, ouch, I do not think it will do any good to tell him. There is another pic, the thing was mint.

Funny, mine was going to the dump as well, until it was saved.

Attachments

11046886_10207898086717457_4233313014734800319_n.jpg

van wert

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Jan. 09, 2017 7:27 pm

Wow, what the "F".

I guess the stoker went with it to. I hate when that happens!

-Don

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Wed. Jan. 11, 2017 5:55 am

I saw where you said you might burn rice, be careful with that as it shortens the life of the auger. Van Werts were designed for Buck and possibly even pea depending on sizing.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Wed. Jan. 11, 2017 7:25 pm

Thanks for that info Matt. I'm running a Van Wert stoker and buckwheat is not available down here. I found that it burns rice with no problems but I knew it was designed for buck. I didn't know it would ware the augers out quicker. I guess that goes for the pipes to.

I've been running it for a year strait. I guess at some point I will need to pull the augers and pipes to have a look at them.

-Don

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Thu. Jan. 12, 2017 5:14 am

StokerDon wrote:Thanks for that info Matt. I'm running a Van Wert stoker and buckwheat is not available down here. I found that it burns rice with no problems but I knew it was designed for buck. I didn't know it would ware the augers out quicker. I guess that goes for the pipes to.

I've been running it for a year strait. I guess at some point I will need to pull the augers and pipes to have a look at them.

-Don
Yes the tube and auger is large therefore it carrys a lot of rice into the tube at a time and grinds it much more, If your auger gets sharp you will want to grind the sharp edge off, you can reach inside the pot and run your finger over the edge of the auger when you have down for cleaning as the pot auger generally wears the fastest. you can only grind it down so many times before replacing but it still helps you get the most for your dollar. If it gets worn too much a skilled welder can weld onto the old auger fins and grind down to recreate this is less expensive than buying new...

alpineboard

Post by alpineboard » Thu. Jan. 12, 2017 7:29 pm

LehighanthraciteMatt wrote:
StokerDon wrote:Thanks for that info Matt. I'm running a Van Wert stoker and buckwheat is not available down here. I found that it burns rice with no problems but I knew it was designed for buck. I didn't know it would ware the augers out quicker. I guess that goes for the pipes to.

-Don
Yes the tube and auger is large therefore it carrys a lot of rice into the tube at a time and grinds it much more, If your auger gets sharp you will want to grind the sharp edge off, you can reach inside the pot and run your finger over the edge of the auger when you have down for cleaning as the pot auger generally wears the fastest. you can only grind it down so many times before replacing but it still helps you get the most for your dollar. If it gets worn too much a skilled welder can weld onto the old auger fins and grind down to recreate this is less expensive than buying new...
Thanks Matt, I will check in May, burning 3 1/2 tons of rice a year now. and am a good welder. Welded the big auger as some one tried to cut it.

alpineboard

Post by alpineboard » Mon. Sep. 17, 2018 9:12 am

Got myself a burn pot and partial drive auger blower assembly yesterday. The other guy got the whole VA600 plus all the goodies. He is new here and has not joined yet. So I thought I would wake this thread up, as he may need some help, and I am the closest one to him.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”