Gentleman Janitor and EFM Pickup

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Jun. 21, 2015 9:25 am

Yesterday I took a trip up to the Northern Anthracite Coal Field, (Scranton area) and brought back some more coal heritage artifacts.

Picked up a nice EFM S20 stoker pot with a new-ish bushing, good grates and a rebuilt feed worm. This pot in general is in much better shape than the other one I have. No blower, clutch or gearbox.
GJpickup2 017.JPG
.JPG | 120.6KB | GJpickup2 017.JPG
GJpickup2 018.JPG
.JPG | 122.2KB | GJpickup2 018.JPG
In this deal I also got a set of REALY NICE early 520 covers. I didn't have the room in the truck to move them without damage, that will be a return trip.

I also picked up a Gentleman Janitor. It needs a bit of work.
GJpickup2 006.JPG
.JPG | 164.3KB | GJpickup2 006.JPG
The base needs a bit of welding.
GJpickup2 008.JPG
.JPG | 128.1KB | GJpickup2 008.JPG
Part of the ash ring and part of the pot are broken.
GJpickup3 012.JPG
.JPG | 167.7KB | GJpickup3 012.JPG
GJpickup2 012.JPG
.JPG | 135.8KB | GJpickup2 012.JPG
I got 3 feed worms and 4 extensions with it.
GJpickup3 013.JPG
.JPG | 161.1KB | GJpickup3 013.JPG
I'm assuming this is a GJ-51. The top of the blower housing says GJ-52, the side says GJ-51?
GJpickup3 002.JPG
.JPG | 131.2KB | GJpickup3 002.JPG
GJpickup3 003.JPG
.JPG | 118.9KB | GJpickup3 003.JPG
I will be starting a new thread for the GJ. I'm not sure what I will do with it, it needs a lot of work, but it's probobly worth fixing.

-Don

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sun. Jun. 21, 2015 12:42 pm

Yes, that's a NICE boiler and stoker! The 51 and the 52 share the same blower housing. They share the same pot/ auger also. To change the output the pulleys are adjusted. The augers are also changes to get a higher/lower feed rate. It looks like you have two different sets in your mix of augers. You are going to have to talk to Dan in Pecksville to get a set of rings. Did you get the "knuckle joint" that connects the pot tube to the bin tube?

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Jun. 21, 2015 2:30 pm

Scott, yes I did get some knuckle joints, they look pretty bad though.

I started a new thread for the GJ project.

Gentleman Janitor GJ-51??? Project

-Don

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Jun. 27, 2015 5:25 pm

Today I was back raiding the nothern anthracite feild again! Yes even in this misserable weather.

There were two guys up there selling GJ parts. I don't know about you, but I can count on one hand how many times I have seen GJ parts for sale! Since I needed spares, I decided to go up and git'em.

I got two pots, two gearboxes, two motors, one newer blower, a BIG pot worm, another bin worm, some knuckles and a bunch of other stuff.
GJpickup 001.JPG
.JPG | 146KB | GJpickup 001.JPG
One pot is 15" diameter.
GJpickup 002.JPG
.JPG | 156.2KB | GJpickup 002.JPG
The other pot is 14 1/8" diameter. That's very interesting. The pot that I got with the boiler is 14 1/2" diameter. There seems to be a lot of variation in these GJ's! I wasn't expecting that!
GJpickup 003.JPG
.JPG | 157.3KB | GJpickup 003.JPG
Lucky the one guy had a side plate to give me. My boiler has a round hole from the blower into the pot. The two pots I picked up today have rectangular holes as does the blower I got today.
GJpickup 005.JPG
.JPG | 164.6KB | GJpickup 005.JPG
I got a regular and a ratcheting gearbox. I don't know why there are two different types???
GJpickup 006.JPG
.JPG | 161.3KB | GJpickup 006.JPG
And some Honeywell controls.
GJpickup 004.JPG
.JPG | 139.3KB | GJpickup 004.JPG
I also picked up a very presentable set of EFM covers and 2 bin worms.
GJpickup 009.JPG
.JPG | 116.6KB | GJpickup 009.JPG
And I think this is an EFM ash door and feed pipe side plate.
GJpickup 013.JPG
.JPG | 120KB | GJpickup 013.JPG
There is a lot of good stuff up there in Coal Country!

-Don

knakki
Hand Fed Coal Stove: locke 400 warm morning
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove

Post by knakki » Sat. Aug. 01, 2015 3:43 pm

looks like the stuff I missed out on, from craigslist from around the end of june.. I kept calling the guy over and over and there was never any answer :( I really needed those grates and worm too. looks like you've got alot of nice spare parts there.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Aug. 01, 2015 6:07 pm

knakki wrote:looks like the stuff I missed out on, from craigslist from around the end of june.. I kept calling the guy over and over and there was never any answer :( I really needed those grates and worm too. looks like you've got alot of nice spare parts there.
The Gentleman Janitor grates/worms or the EFM?

The EFM grates and worm can be bought from Mark's supply 570-462-0748.

The Gentleman Janitor grates are supplies by General Machine.
General Machine, 412 Keystone Ave, Peckville PA. 570-383-0990.

-Don

knakki

Post by knakki » Sat. Aug. 01, 2015 6:24 pm

The grates, worm and jackets were just on Craigslist last month. I called marks and they want alot more for just grates and a worm than I paid for the entire furnace.

Still lookin for used stuff, hopefully I get it all by winter or I'll be hooking up my warm morning for another season.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Aug. 01, 2015 6:31 pm

knakki wrote:The grates, worm and jackets were just on Craigslist last month. I called marks and they want alot more for just grates and a worm than I paid for the entire furnace.

Still lookin for used stuff, hopefully I get it all by winter or I'll be hooking up my warm morning for another season.
Keep look'in! This stuff pops up. If you are in coal country you can get to it before me, I have to do a lot of drive'in to get there!

-Don

knakki

Post by knakki » Sat. Aug. 01, 2015 7:11 pm

StokerDon wrote:
knakki wrote:The grates, worm and jackets were just on Craigslist last month. I called marks and they want alot more for just grates and a worm than I paid for the entire furnace.

Keep look'in! This stuff pops up. If you are in coal country you can get to it before me, I have to do a lot of drive'in to get there!

-Don
Right in the heart of it, hazleton, pa.

crwerw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentlemen janitor
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by crwerw » Thu. Nov. 09, 2017 8:47 pm

Hi, new to this site. I have aGJ-51 and love it. I’m looking for some parts if anyone can point me in the right direction. I’m in northeast Pa. I’m looking for a worm knuckle and the pipe that goes over the worm. I would also be interested in any other parts for sale.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Nov. 09, 2017 9:20 pm

Nice score Don!

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Nov. 10, 2017 9:38 am

crwerw wrote:
Thu. Nov. 09, 2017 8:47 pm
Hi, new to this site. I have aGJ-51 and love it. I’m looking for some parts if anyone can point me in the right direction. I’m in northeast Pa. I’m looking for a worm knuckle and the pipe that goes over the worm. I would also be interested in any other parts for sale.
Welcome to the forum.

General Machine in Peckville PA owns the rights and patterns for the Gentleman Janitor line of stokers. They still produce augers, feed pipes, burn rings, ect...
General Machine & Manufacturing Co   Address: 412 Keystone Ave, Peckville, PA 18452 Phone:(570) 383-0990

-Don

crwerw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentlemen janitor
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by crwerw » Tue. Jun. 25, 2019 1:06 pm

Selling a Gentleman Janitor coal stoker. If interested call or text me at(570) 762-1744

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”