AHS Wish List
As I’ve reported in other posts, my S-130 was put into service a little over a month ago. I am happy to report, it has run flawlessly since start-up. I am a little dissapointed in a few things, most I have reported to the factory. Upon urging from a fellow board member, I have put together a “Wish List” to AHS that would make their product even better. This list may also help prospective buyers.
1. Boiler Controls. Most modern heating equipment is equipped with electronic controls, which monitor outdoor temperature, and adjust the boiler temperature to suit the projected heat loss (outdoor reset). Offer this as an option to the rudimentary aquastat control.
2. Domestic Coil. If a customer decides NOT to order a domestic coil, make sure the customer has the option of having the coil tapping in the boiler for future use.
3. Quality. A boiler should never proceed to assembly if the pipe tappings are welded in crooked.
4. Extra Pipe Tappings. All boilers should have a couple of extra tappings to allow additional thermowells to be installed if the customer wants to add electronic controls to the system. Also, a dedicated ¾” drain valve taping would be nice.
5. Grate Control. Add a visual, or audible alarm to remind the operator to turn the grate back ON, if it has been turned off while emptying the ash pan.
6. Paint. Use a high quality high temperature paint which won’t discolor from heat. Also, machinery gray is OK for my Bridgeport milling machine, but wouldn’t a vibrant color make a better impression?
7. Owners Manual. Although the latest manual is better, there is still lots of information missing. i.e. “What’s the function of the bleed hole in the flapper door, and whenshould it be adjusted?”
As I said, this list is NOT in any way meant to discredit the fine people at AHS. They have a very good product, which is in an extremely small niche market. I offer this only as food for thought.
Stoker Coal Boilers automatically feed the coal and have controls and pumps just like any conventions boiler. They are intended to be used as a primary heat and often have domestic hot water coils as an added bonus. They can be set up independently or in dual sytem with your existing oil/gas boiler. They can accommodate both hot water base board or steam plumbing.
1 post • Page 1 of 1