My First Radiator

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Mar. 14, 2015 6:08 pm

Today I got my first radiator. I don't know a lot about radiators so, hopefuly the good people of this forum will help me out a bit here. It's an American Standard, 26"H x 40"L x 8" Deep, nothing fancy. It had 3/4" inlet and outlet pipes and an air bleed.

I guess the first question is; How many BTU's will one of these suck out of my boiler?
1stRadiator 002.JPG
.JPG | 148.8KB | 1stRadiator 002.JPG
1stRadiator 003.JPG
.JPG | 91.8KB | 1stRadiator 003.JPG
1stRadiator 004.JPG
.JPG | 227.2KB | 1stRadiator 004.JPG
1stRadiator 006.JPG
.JPG | 124.7KB | 1stRadiator 006.JPG
I flushed it out with lots of hot water and pressureized it to about 47 PSI, 110 degrees. When flushing it, nothing came out of it but water.
1stRadiator 009.JPG
.JPG | 122.6KB | 1stRadiator 009.JPG
It's sitting out there with pressure in it now. I will look at it and drain it out in about an hour.

Thank you for any info you may have,

Don

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Mar. 14, 2015 6:11 pm

StokerDon wrote:I guess the first question is; How many BTU's will one of these suck out of my boiler?
Nice!

I believe that with hot water they are generally rated to yield about 150 to 180 BTU's per square foot of surface area. About 8,000 to 10,000 BTU's is my guess.
Last edited by lsayre on Sat. Mar. 14, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

northernmainecoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Nut/Stove

Post by northernmainecoal » Sat. Mar. 14, 2015 6:12 pm

looks like it is in nice shape! I don't have any experience with them but am interested in seeing what others have to say about it. I've been watching for some to pick up for this place but have yet to find anything. good luck with it!

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Mar. 14, 2015 6:23 pm

Brings back memories from when I was growing up.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Mar. 14, 2015 7:00 pm

Radiators rock! I have a collection of them waiting to be installed here. So far I only have one installed in the kitchen.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Mar. 14, 2015 7:03 pm

there's some charts on here that might help! I know they take up space, but work really well.

Pictorial: Cast Iron Radiator Sizing Charts, BTU Output

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Mar. 14, 2015 7:42 pm

That American Radiator is known as a "slenderized" radiator. American Radiator and Standard Sanitary eventually became "American Standard".

Before the introduction of the slenderized design radiators were larger and heavier. Since the key to radiation is surface area, radiators were big to get as much surface area as possible. The slenderized design greatly increased surface area with a smaller footprint.

That radiator is a "5 pass", each section has 5 tubes to radiate heat. The more tubes the more heat radiation.

Radiators are sized for heat output by the number of sections.

They are connected together in two ways: If the unit has four steel rods with threads and nuts at the ends holding it together then it is built using "push nipples". Each section has has machined steel nipples between it and the next sections. The push nipples are tapered, large diameter in the middle tapering to smaller diameter on the outside edges. The radiator is assembled, the 4 rods are installed and tightened, compressing the sections together. The other method of assembly is to use threaded nipples to connect the sections together, each section is assembled to the next one and the threaded nipple is installed. This type of assembly can be identified by the absense of the 4 steel rods.

Radiators on steam or hot water systems are essentially the same, the difference is Hydronic (hot water) will have an inlet and an outlet along with an air vent on the outlet end near the top. Steam radiators generally have one bottom opening used, with an air vent installed midway up on the opposite end.

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Sat. Mar. 14, 2015 8:35 pm

When you install it you can put a bypass in right underneath the radiator witha ball valve and a radiator valve allowing you to customize the output. you can also shorten the thing by removing sections. If you want to do that we can walk you thru it... ;)

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Mar. 14, 2015 8:39 pm

Thank you for the big discription Wood'nCoal. There is no sign of threaded rod or nuts, so I guess it's threaded nipples.

This one has 16 sections that are 2.5" thick. I will have to study up on this
" Pictorial: Cast Iron Radiator Sizing Charts, BTU Output " thread to figure out what kind of BTU's this will put out.

And thank you all for the information so far.

-Don
Last edited by StokerDon on Sat. Mar. 14, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Mar. 14, 2015 8:46 pm

waldo lemieux wrote:When you install it you can put a bypass in right underneath the radiator witha ball valve and a radiator valve allowing you to customize the output. you can also shorten the thing by removing sections. If you want to do that we can walk you thru it... ;)
Ah, I get it, the more flow that gets bypassed, the less heat comes out of the radiator. So, I could turn the heat up or down, nice.

I don't know if I want to go taking it apart. I think it will fit nicely in the spot I need it in.

I better double check that.

-Don

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Mar. 14, 2015 8:58 pm

It's a beauty. Nice find.

If you have trouble with the BTU rating, I can dig out my old books. Pretty sure I have one with radiator ratings.

Doby
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast console and Alaska Channing III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: oil but not much

Post by Doby » Sat. Mar. 14, 2015 9:26 pm

Back in the 80's these were scraped around here for next to nothing, everybody wanted fin to save room in the typical half double home in the Mt Carmel Pa area. What a mistake that was and they are about indestructible. Now adays you could pay 100 bucks for one like that and from what I remember one that size was installed in rooms about 12x14 with 9 foot ceilings in poorly insulated homes

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sun. Mar. 15, 2015 7:17 am

So with all of that data on hand, did I come close with my 8,000 to 10,000 BTUH projection?

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sun. Mar. 15, 2015 7:30 am

Come in from the cold and try to sit on a baseboard finned radiator. Come in from the cold and sit on a cast iron stand-up radiator and say AHHHHHH.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sun. Mar. 15, 2015 8:19 am

blrman07 wrote:Come in from the cold and try to sit on a baseboard finned radiator. Come in from the cold and sit on a cast iron stand-up radiator and say AHHHHHH.
Radiators look a lot better also.

This radiator should be used in any room where roughly 20 feet of fin tube hot water baseboard would also be called for.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”