Leisure Line AA 220 Boiler Using Excessive Coal and Not Much Heat

northernmainecoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Nut/Stove

Post by northernmainecoal » Mon. Jun. 13, 2016 11:17 am

I see an Axeman Anderson for sale in your area as well for the same $$ you are asking

strykerlover
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 220
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Coal
Other Heating: Oil Fired Vega, Beckwell Pellet Stove

Post by strykerlover » Mon. Jun. 13, 2016 12:54 pm

I'm beginning to think that Coal is not the answer for everybody. I am willing to negotiate on the price if you know anybody that may be interested in trying coal at the fraction of the cost.

It has only been used for 1.5 winters.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Mon. Jun. 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Don't forget to put your furnace in the classifieds here: For Sale Coal Boilers, Furnaces, Stoves and Heating Related Items

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Tue. Jun. 14, 2016 8:58 am

strykerlover wrote:I'm beginning to think that Coal is not the answer for everybody. I am willing to negotiate on the price if you know anybody that may be interested in trying coal at the fraction of the cost.

It has only been used for 1.5 winters.
Your statement about coal not being for everyone is pretty much true. To be able to use coal you must be able to tend it at least twice a day and depending on the appliance three times a day. Coal appliances are not set it and forget it. You also might live in an area where the economics of burning coal just isn't there. Oil might be cheaper.

A few years back my routine as a minister meant I kept hours that were erratic. I could plan on being home at 3 pm and not make it until 3 am due to different emergencies. The hand fired coal stove we had didn't lend itself to erratic hours. Thank goodness we had a stoker in the basement with a LARGE hopper and a bunker that held 8 ton.

Moral of this story is watch the economics.

strykerlover
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 220
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Coal
Other Heating: Oil Fired Vega, Beckwell Pellet Stove

Post by strykerlover » Tue. Jun. 14, 2016 10:09 am

Thank you!!! :D

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Fri. Jun. 17, 2016 7:47 am

strykerlover wrote:Yup, my parents have a Keystoker boiler and use half the coal I use and their house is much bigger. The difference is that their boiler is in their basement and mine is 150 feet away in the garage. I think that the 220 is not a big enough unit to handle my needs. Please share your experiences I have been inside and out of this boiler a number of times.
Coming in late here though read all the posts reasonably well. The above quote reminds me of a old friend in Stafford CT who absolutely reveled in his outside wood boiler only to find several years later from his now ex-wife that the heat loss from running ~ 80-100 feet underground was a real heat loss killer not to mention the return water cooling off more than when it departed the house foundation. Your house being 150' away plus your northerly location deep earth freeze could be a serious system challenge for any heating source not to mention the pressure drop & electricity to deal with that. There are likely on line calculators for underground insulated flex pipe heat loss. Also please consider that if you use glycol in your system the heat content per gallon of solution is reduced as well. You may want to seriously consider these factors as part of your new system's overall heat assessment.

oilboy

Post by oilboy » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 6:52 am

Good Morning, Matt a friend of mine bought and installed the leisure line wl110 oil/coal boiler.
He loves it. It is currently running of #2 fuel oil. its cheaper hers than rice coal. the only small problem is
the ash tray at the bottom gets water in it. there are no signs of a water leak, I'm thinking its condensation?
He has lost most of the manual. Is there something that is missing or should be taken out. He mentioned that he has called
you, but he could not remember your answer. Do you think it is possible to email me the installation manual. Or let me know
what might be the problem. thank you from Massachusetts

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 6:59 am

You can download the manual right from their website.

[Link Removed]

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 8:55 am

Burning oil and getting condensation. :o What does a oil tech have to say about this?

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Jan. 25, 2017 10:39 pm

oilboy wrote:Good Morning, Matt a friend of mine bought and installed the leisure line wl110 oil/coal boiler.
He loves it. It is currently running of #2 fuel oil. its cheaper hers than rice coal. the only small problem is
the ash tray at the bottom gets water in it. there are no signs of a water leak, I'm thinking its condensation?
He has lost most of the manual. Is there something that is missing or should be taken out. He mentioned that he has called
you, but he could not remember your answer. Do you think it is possible to email me the installation manual. Or let me know
what might be the problem. thank you from Massachusetts
Did he install the insulation pieces for running on oil? There are 2. Also the diffuser should be removed.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”