What Model Aquastat to Use

1975gt750
Stoker Coal Boiler: keystoker kaa-2
Coal Size/Type: rice coal / blaschak
Other Heating: pensotti oil boiler with riello 40 burner

Post by 1975gt750 » Sun. Feb. 24, 2008 9:24 am

i installed kaa-2 in series with my oil burner and I want to change the aquastat on the oil burner so it will come on if I ever run out of coal. the problem I am having is right now I have a honeywell l8148a with no low limit adjustments just high limt adjustment so I cant adjust my low limit the low limit is preset at160 degrees. I would also need to be able to hook up series 60 low limit circulator control to it. I e-mailed honeywell about a week ago and suprise surprise the did not get back to me some customer support. so what iam looking for is an aquastat either a triple or dual temp contol aquastat the can take the optinal series60 low limt circulator control.

thanks chris

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Feb. 24, 2008 12:20 pm

Honeywell is a HUGE company... not surprised they didn't get back to you.. Look up a honeywell L8124 a,b,c etc... this is what most coal boilers use, I'm pretty sure it is what you need. It has an adjustable low limit, high limit and differential for the low limit.

Greg L

1975gt750

Post by 1975gt750 » Sun. Feb. 24, 2008 7:27 pm

the l8124 wont work it does to have an input for the series 60 low limt circulator control. I have that aquastat on my kaa-2 and the only open screws I have are the zr and zc. when the t-stat calls for the zr terminal has voltage and the zc has none. when the t-stat is not calling for heat the zc terminal has voltage and the zr has none. so the l8124 wont work for me but there has to be one to worh for my application

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sun. Feb. 24, 2008 11:46 pm

Put a strap on aquastat right on the supply ( discharge ) pipe as close to the boiler as you can get it. Most have a range of 70-150,180 degrees. Use that to break the "jumper" on the oil gun. Really depends on how your controls are set up. Pm me . I have several models in several different makes that have been salvaged and some new. You are welcome to any. I get them all the time. :) Scott

1975gt750

Post by 1975gt750 » Mon. Feb. 25, 2008 9:21 pm

do the strap on aquastats have a high and low limit shut off. whats the model numbers of the aquastats.

thanks chris

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Mon. Feb. 25, 2008 10:29 pm

Alot of oil fired boilers use a honeywell burner control that mounts on a 4 square box right on the burner gun itself. On that controller there is a Jumper that jumps the t-stat contacts. If you break that wire with a contact , the gun won't fire on a call for heat. But your circ pump(s) and(or) zone valves will all work anyway, if your boiler water is up to temp. You said that your setup was in series so I'm picturing the hot water from the boiler flowing into the oil fired then into the loops. A strap on aquastat is usually a single contact.Use it to break either low or 120volts. Best way to hook up auxillary heat is two pair low voltage wires. 1pair to break the t-t contact on the oil gun, 2nd pair to make the t-t contact on the auxillary controller switched by a relay in parallel with 120v feed to oil gun. Hope that got the point across. Sometimes it's easier to picture it than explain it. :D Scott

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”