My New Toy, Losch Stoker Boiler

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Mon. Apr. 22, 2019 5:45 pm

what happened to this boiler Don?

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Apr. 22, 2019 7:14 pm

lincolnmania wrote:
Mon. Apr. 22, 2019 5:45 pm
what happened to this boiler Don?
Back in 2015 I was selling my Yellow Flame stoker boiler. A guy from NY contacted me about it but wasn't able to pay nearly the asking price, so I told him about the Losch with the Yellow Flame stoker. He ended up buying it and took it back to NY. I have not yet heard back from him, I guess it's still running. I always liked the Losch's, every coal supplier I know runs an old Losch!

This project was a lot of fun for me , and I learned a lot about stokers, boilers and conversions. Unfortunately, this was before I had a Youtube channel so I never took video of it. I did a video of the base with a Gentleman Janitor stoker in it.

Also one with a Van Wert stoker. I never ran the boiler with these though.

Thanks for bringing this one up, I love this little "Blast from the Past!"

-Don

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Apr. 22, 2019 7:27 pm

I just took a little trip back through this thread. I found it very interesting that I was all kinds of happy that I had achieved 3 day tending times and was only burning 60 to 70 pounds per day, in April!!!

My current 1959 Axeman Anderson goes 7+ days on an ash pan and burns 25 pounds per day. Live and learn I guess.

-Don

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Mon. Apr. 22, 2019 8:41 pm

i got my efm parts from losch in 2006 when i got the af-150 project. they had a losch boiler in the parts dept on display.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”