From OWB to EFM520 Installed in Truck Box

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Aug. 09, 2014 10:21 pm

We have been heating with wood exclusively since 1999,in Sept 2006 we fired up the OWB to heat hot water for 2 houses & heat the 2 houses & our repair shop,i do not like working on cold metal!We keep the shop warm,t-stat is at 68-70* 6' up the wall.We were able to get scrap lumber from a local truck body builder for a few yrs,till some person tried to get insurance money for a supposed injury while getting wood from a dumpster,that ended the free wood. We had been able to get that free wood in yellow pine,oak & some others,many times we did not have to even cut the pieces as the OWB could take up to 5' long pieces.We started buying 3 loads of logs delivered to our place,we then had to cut the logs,split the pieces & stack it. The last 2 years we no longer took the time to stack,we just threw it on a pile.These 3 loads were not enough,we got wood from some customers,some cheap,some free. This past brutal winter we bought wood that was cut split & dumped off here,20 cords from Oct.15 ,2013 to Mar.15,2014 + quite a few big loads on our F250SD. In Late fall the OWB developed a leak which I welded,then in Mar. 1 of the crossover tubes in the top of the firebox started to leak,a self-tapping bolt stopped that leak.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Aug. 09, 2014 10:59 pm

We were determined to make this our last winter with wood. On Jan. 8,2014 we had -5* in the a/m,it went to 8* with 30-40 mph winds during the day,we went thru a F250 8' bed load of wood in 24 hrs.This work in the cold,wind & snow at 11 p/m,6 a/m takes its toll on us,i will load some winter pics.

Attachments

6-12-2014 004.JPG

My wife took this pic 1 of those cold nites while i was tending the OWB

.JPG | 66.8KB | 6-12-2014 004.JPG
IMG_0876.JPG

prepping the site for wood out,coal burning in

.JPG | 297.4KB | IMG_0876.JPG
IMG_0891.JPG

the excavation team,28" tractor tiller loosened the ground,blade shoved it together,we shoveled it on the dump cart

.JPG | 218.3KB | IMG_0891.JPG
IMG_0893.JPG

excavation progress while the OWB smolders

.JPG | 201.8KB | IMG_0893.JPG
IMG_0897.JPG

that is how the ground got onto the dump cart ,& my wife did more than her share of this too.

.JPG | 212.2KB | IMG_0897.JPG
IMG_0889.JPG

53' trailer to be re-purposed into a coal heating haven

.JPG | 106.9KB | IMG_0889.JPG
IMG_0950.JPG

almost 3000 # no problem for this big loader,courtesy of a good neighbor

.JPG | 209KB | IMG_0950.JPG
IMG_0961.JPG

temporary spot till someone buys it or we haul it for scrap

.JPG | 195.7KB | IMG_0961.JPG

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Aug. 09, 2014 11:26 pm

More progress pics.Sorry we missed getting pics of a few of the steps in this project. Having the box on the ground is a big relief for us,we were not sure how that process would work out,it actually went pretty good,took about 2.5 hrs.for the tow truck.

Attachments

IMG_1011.JPG

moving trailer to resting place

.JPG | 135.4KB | IMG_1011.JPG
IMG_1016.JPG

our super duty did its share too

.JPG | 166.9KB | IMG_1016.JPG
IMG_1023.JPG

super duty with snatch block attached to front hook helps the tow truck place the box

.JPG | 180.7KB | IMG_1023.JPG
IMG_1033.JPG

super duty pulling the bogie out from under the lifted box

.JPG | 216.3KB | IMG_1033.JPG
IMG_1037.JPG

53' trailer is now a 53' box

.JPG | 186.2KB | IMG_1037.JPG
IMG_1038.JPG

this aint no southerner selling drill presses

.JPG | 200.5KB | IMG_1038.JPG
IMG_1040.JPG

hard core sales man covinced me to buy these pieces off his truck

.JPG | 123.8KB | IMG_1040.JPG
IMG_1042.JPG

520 base

.JPG | 89.2KB | IMG_1042.JPG
IMG_1047.JPG

the heavy part

.JPG | 141KB | IMG_1047.JPG
IMG_1050.JPG

Warm day to handle heavy stuff,this guy comes from upstate N.Y. Do you know who he is?

.JPG | 104.1KB | IMG_1050.JPG

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Aug. 10, 2014 7:10 am

You did a great job of sharing your story and pictures. That van body will make quite a boiler room! What are you going to use for a chimney?

I recognize the pickup truck and the seller. Scott's boilers are excellent, you made a great choice.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Aug. 10, 2014 8:00 am

Thanks Rob, we are planning to erect a steel pipe for the chimney, haven't finalized that yet.The front 10' of the box will be a coal bin,10 x 8.5 x 6-7 ' deep,will hold up to 14 ton,probably buck,might add a smaller bin on the other side of the boiler room later to hold about 5 ton,possibly rice for the warmer months.The boiler room will be directly on top of the pit that the OWB sat on. All the pex from each building comes into the pit & will come up thru the box floor where the circulators will now be.We installed some insulation in the box floor while it was up in the air,will be injecting foam thru holes in the floor to fill the air gaps.The boiler room floor will then be covered with masonry board,walls & ceiling to be covered with 5/8" fire code,moisture resistant drywall.We will be able to tend the boiler inside,out of the weather, quite a relief after the last 8 winters of tending the OWB in all kinds of weather conditions.We have no basement in either house (trailers) ,our shop is too often filled with gasoline fumes to be a safe place to install a fire making boiler. The box will require us to walk from house or shop to the box to tend the boiler,but that will be much better than we have experienced for the last 8 winters. We won't need to tend the coal boiler every 6 hrs when the temps drop & the wind rises like we had to with the OWB. We are hoping for a much better sleep schedule this coming winter than we had this last brutal winter.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Aug. 10, 2014 8:16 am

Chimney draft will make or break your installation. The stack temperature from the EFM will be much lower than your OWB. A piece of well casing or culvert pipe will lead to nothing but frustration (in my opinion), especially if you are burning buck (more sensitive to draft and timer settings). A masonry chimney or even insulated stainless would perform better...but of course it would cost more.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Aug. 10, 2014 8:38 am

Congrats - I know you have been planning for this for a while!!!!! I like seeing ideas that are outside the box and using that trailer is a great idea. :clap:

Ya know if you insulate the walls of that trailer good enough and with the warmth of the boiler - you better put a nice comfy chair in there for you to sit in while you watch the boiler do its thing. That seems to be a common activity for boiler users! Then of course you'll need a small 'fridge for the beverages to sip while watching it, and of course web connectivity so you can log into the forum and keep us up to date. Before you know it....MAN CAVE!!! :punk:

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Aug. 10, 2014 8:50 am

Could he power vent or direct vent it? I forget which.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Sun. Aug. 10, 2014 8:52 am

Wow, I like this idea :idea:
It gives me food-for-thought when I go to install our Highboy to heat the house, shop, and outbuildings. :up:
Those used trailers are a dime-a-dozen down here.

Great idea!

Yeah, what Rob says, on the chimney. I would cut a hole thru the floor, pour a footing, and build a masonry chimney up the inside, and out the roof.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Aug. 10, 2014 9:05 am

Rob, is stack temp that critical for these boilers ? That much difference between a non-insulated pipe & a masonry chimney for the draft ?This is still forced draft like the OWB except when idling ,maybe I am missing something ? Boiler room will be width of trailer,8.5' x 10' ,the boiler room walls,floor & ceiling will be insulated,Crane 404 will be installed in our house for fire viewing. I was planning to get a refrigerated box ,but this longer than we planned trailer came up for $1500, seemed to make more sense to get the longer box & have more storage for coal +other things. A power vent would probably be 1/2 price of a masonry chimney + maintenance & electric .

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Sun. Aug. 10, 2014 9:13 am

I'm happy for ya David.

You now have the best boiler and heating system possible. You are officially retired (from wood) at age 57.

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Sun. Aug. 10, 2014 9:25 am

Windy,

Youre my hero. What a leap of faith, though the leap might not come till you find out how much work you were doing all those years..... I think you should put in a window and make the OWB watch the new kid to see how its done. :D If you do use cement board on floors and walls youll find Hardie backer is a better bet as its harder and not as brittle. Too, durock will burn with a little help as its made with a nylon mesh and styrofoam beads as part of the aggregate. I did a job once where an oil boiler was installed on Durock and over time a spot of oil developed under the boiler and somehow found ignition and poof.

cement board runs about a buck a square foot and will need some sort of treatment to protect it,paint ect... You might consider just buying some 12x12 ceramic and gluing it on with no grout joint and be done. Home crapo or lowes always have a few choices for less than a buck a foot. Another idea might be those FRP panels on the walls , use vinyl floor adhesive and a notched trowel , you could make quick work of it. All just the ramblings of an envious mind..... Of this I am sure, Itll be awesome when your done and youll be dancin the jig to and from the boiler room from now on.... just be sure to include some photos of that cause that feeling is what we all find the most rewarding.

waldo

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Aug. 10, 2014 10:08 am

Waldo, I was planning on masonry board on the floor,unfinished,thought it would hold up to foot traffic without costing too much. Ceramic tiles would crack at the drop of a shovel or pipe wrench,wouldn't they ? We could pour concrete 2 " thick to cover the solid wood floor,that would take more time & money.FRP on the walls is a good possibility,i will check on availability & price,no finishing or painting necessary on that stuff.We do not have every thing decided yet so suggestions are welcome but must meet the following criteria.Low cost is at the top of that list,free is better :) ,durable,long lasting,simple & sensible.My motto is Keep It Sensibly Simple. This project came to be only after much finagling with banks till we got one to approve the loan,we did not get as much as we wanted to so some free steps along the way will help to keep $$ for coal purchase. That is the only reason we shoveled the dirt,we were going to rent a machine but saved the money for coal.Our neighbor moved the OWB at no charge,more coal $$,he also spread most of the stones,no charge,more coal money. The man we bought the box from got the wrecker/crane job for us at a deep discount. EWF ,the energy we will save retiring from wood has been & will be somewhat used up getting this project finished,doing it the hard way to save $$,but will be worth it in the long run.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Aug. 10, 2014 11:24 am

windyhill4.2 wrote:Rob, is stack temp that critical for these boilers ? That much difference between a non-insulated pipe & a masonry chimney for the draft ?This is still forced draft like the OWB except when idling ,maybe I am missing something ?
The "except when idling" is the part that can give you trouble. There must be draft to pull a small amount of air through the coal when the stoker is not running. The stack temperature itself is not critical, my point was that if vented into an uninsulated steel pipe the flue gasses will cool very quickly and it will be tough to get adequate draft.

I understand the need to fireproof the floor, but if the boiler has adquate clearance from the walls and ceiling I see no need to put masonry board on those surfaces? No different than being installed in a basement - non combustible floor and 3' clearance to combustibles on the sides and ceiling. A piece of metal roofing makes a cheap & easy heat shield between the wall and flue pipe if needed.

This is nothing like a wood burner, the ashes are SPENT when they land in the bucket. No chimney fires, hot coals popping out the door, etc.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Aug. 10, 2014 11:35 am

By the way, I am not certain that your proposed chimney setup won't work...it just won't work as well as an insulated chimney. If you have access to some cheap/free materials and want to see how it runs, go for it.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”