Sounds like it's happy.

lprince
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon 2000

Post by lprince » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 5:58 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 5:49 pm
Sounds like it's happy.
This can’t be that easy :D . I don’t even have a half of pan full of ash yet and it has been 72 hours of run time. I was expecting significantly more complications in the setup. I really have not had to do anything since it has been cranked up. At this rate it will be a week until I empty ashes :lol:

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 6:05 pm

You'll just have to suffer through it!

lprince

Post by lprince » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 6:47 pm

So I know you guys like empirical data so i thought I would share with you my temperature recordings from my data logger. The data logger I use was purchased from amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M9Z3JJ8/ref= ... UTF8&psc=1) It is a 4 channel temperature data logger that I am using to monitor operation of the AA260. I purchased some additional 50' long probes as the ones that come with it are kind of short. The datalogger has a SD card it records to and I have it setup to log a reading every 30 seconds. I can then take that data and import it into excel and create charts and determine how often it is running.
01292019 recording chart.JPG
.JPG | 88.3KB | 01292019 recording chart.JPG
I have the probes attached to the supply and return pipe and one wrapped around the anthrastat tube. I am guessing the sharp drop off on the anthrastat is the fan coming on. The top of the initial supply slope is when the fan turned off and the corresponding up tick is probably the overshoot of the boiler. The Blue dips are probably a call for heat on my baseboards in the house. As you can see the beast hardly even reacts to the heat call and just kind of lumbers along shrugging off any load.

I currently have the circulator running 24-7 to my oil boiler because I have not run the control wiring from my oil boiler to the AA260. Once I run the wiring the circulator will only run on a call for heat or low temperature in the oil boiler when it is in standby mode and not supplying heat. I will probably need to run the timer once I finish my control wiring.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 6:58 pm

lprince wrote:
Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 6:47 pm
I am guessing the sharp drop off on the anthrastat is the fan coming on.
Yea, it really dives. Looks like it goes down to 85 or 90 degrees for a short time. Don't go thinking the Anthrastat will react to that. The Anthrastat actually reacts very slowly.

If you have another probe, poke a hole in the stove pipe about 1' above the Pope's Hat and stick it in there. Then you will have the complete picture, supply, return, ash and stack temperatures.

-Don

lprince

Post by lprince » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 7:21 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 6:58 pm

If you have another probe, poke a hole in the stove pipe about 1' above the Pope's Hat and stick it in there. Then you will have the complete picture, supply, return, ash and stack temperatures.

-Don
I do have one more probe I am currently monitoring room temp but I will move it into the flue pipe tomorrow. Little snow storm here in the Pocono Mountains and I do not feel like walking outside through the snow in my slippers to put it in the flue pipe.

I was averaging 8.4 Delta T on the supply and return with a max Delta T of 25.6*F and a minimum Delta T of 4.4*F over the course of about 10 hours.

I will setup for a long recording starting Wed night when the polar vortex shows up until maybe Friday morning I really wish it was a 6 channel so I could capture outside temps also.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 7:37 pm

lprince wrote:
Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 7:21 pm
I really wish it was a 6 channel so I could capture outside temps also.
I didn't even think of that one. With six channels you could monitor room temp and the outside temp. That would really be the complete picture!

-Don

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 8:41 pm

You need a chair with wheels now.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 10:05 pm

Little snow storm here in the Pocono Mountains and I do not feel like walking outside through the snow in my slippers to put it in the flue pipe.
Nah...
Just setup a remote camp in the boiler room...
All the comforts of home...
LOL...

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Wed. Jan. 30, 2019 6:52 am

lprince wrote:
Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 6:47 pm
So I know you guys like empirical data so i thought I would share with you my temperature recordings from my data logger. The data logger I use was purchased from amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M9Z3JJ8/ref= ... UTF8&psc=1) It is a 4 channel temperature data logger that I am using to monitor operation of the AA260. I purchased some additional 50' long probes as the ones that come with it are kind of short. The datalogger has a SD card it records to and I have it setup to log a reading every 30 seconds. I can then take that data and import it into excel and create charts and determine how often it is running.

01292019 recording chart.JPG

I have the probes attached to the supply and return pipe and one wrapped around the anthrastat tube. I am guessing the sharp drop off on the anthrastat is the fan coming on. The top of the initial supply slope is when the fan turned off and the corresponding up tick is probably the overshoot of the boiler. The Blue dips are probably a call for heat on my baseboards in the house. As you can see the beast hardly even reacts to the heat call and just kind of lumbers along shrugging off any load.

I currently have the circulator running 24-7 to my oil boiler because I have not run the control wiring from my oil boiler to the AA260. Once I run the wiring the circulator will only run on a call for heat or low temperature in the oil boiler when it is in standby mode and not supplying heat. I will probably need to run the timer once I finish my control wiring.
This is awesome!

lprince

Post by lprince » Sun. Feb. 24, 2019 12:34 pm

Well being in a comfort zone and being a newbie to the AA260 it finally bit me in the A**.

I last checked the furnace on Monday and emptied out the ashes. I took a quick peek in the coal bin and said to myself "That looks good no gopher hole". I did not look at it the BEAST until 4 AM this morning when I was lying in bed and was rudely awoken buy the sound of my oil boiler running :oops:. What in the heck am I dreaming. So out to the boiler room to see the boiler running and extremely quite like no beautiful sound of coal falling back down the auger :cry: , I quickly opened the boiler viewing window and did not see any beautiful blue flames or a red glow. :oops:. I then checked the coal bin and saw a dreaded gopher hole at the end the auger :oops: :oops:. So I do not know when the gopher hole appeared but I can tell you the BEAST was dead and no fire was to be seen.

I will say that lighting it this time around was much easier and The beast is breathing fire again ALL the zones are calling to give as much load as possible and the gopher hole has been remedied. I will need to slope the bottom of my bin to the auger and come up with an early detection system that lets me know the auger is no longer picking up the beautiful black magic rocks.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Feb. 24, 2019 12:48 pm

lprince wrote:
Sun. Feb. 24, 2019 12:34 pm
So I do not know when the gopher hole appeared but I can tell you the BEAST was dead and no fire was to be seen.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
That is the one thing that will bite you with this lazy way of burning coal!

I came close overnight too. This morning the Gofer had eaten all the way down into the doghouse and I could see the shiny top of the auger! It always surprises me to see how much fines are around the auger mouth.
IMG_4179.JPG
.JPG | 473.3KB | IMG_4179.JPG
I gave the coal pile a stab with a stick and it avalanched down to the doghouse.

-Don

prousa
Hand Fed Coal Stove: dovre

Post by prousa » Fri. Mar. 01, 2019 2:39 pm

Hi i'm new here and reading for a few weeks now , im from the netherlands and interested in the aa 130 . But its not possible for me to buy one at axeman . I am now thinking to build one myself , any toughts from your side . Thanks prosper netherlands

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Mar. 01, 2019 6:24 pm

Welcome to the forum,

That is a pretty ambitious plan trying to build an Axeman. There are only 2 flat surfaces, all the rest are curved and difficult to get to.

At any rate, you need to start your own topic for this interesting project. We don't want to over run Iprince here.

Good luck!

-Don

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Mar. 02, 2019 6:57 am

What is the sampling time interval set for on your data logger? How long are the batteries lasting for you? How do you transfer the data into a spreadsheet? Does it hook up directly to a computer, such as via a USB port? Would it work with Linux, or does it only work with Microsoft?

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”