Stoker Boiler Pipe Sizing Revisited

Stoker Coal Boilers automatically feed the coal and have controls and pumps just like any conventions boiler. They are intended to be used as a primary heat and often have domestic hot water coils as an added bonus. They can be set up independently or in dual sytem with your existing oil/gas boiler. They can accommodate both hot water base board or steam plumbing.
StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: BairMatic BMC-500 with Van Wert VA400 Stoker, Gentleman Janitor GJ-671/EFM S-15 stoker, Van Wert VA-600
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post Fri. Jul. 25, 2014 9:41 pm

McGiever wrote:Besides all of what was already mentioned, 1-1/4" pex measures less ID than 1-1/4"... so you wouldn't even gain a full 1/4". :roll:
Really? That settels it, I'm gona stick with the 1".

I am going to try to make a few small changes in addition to the insualtion.

I'm going to try to get that 1.25" to 1" addaptor out of there. Go strait 1.25". I can't imagin leaving it in there is a good idea? Why would some do that to begin with?
YF1inchParts 005.JPG
1"
And it would be great if I could get that plug out of the other boiler return. That way I could run the bypass to there, where it should go.
YF1inchParts 007.JPG
Plug
I will do a little research into the different kinds of insulation that can be put on the boiler.

Goodbye yellow brick boiler!

I'm gona miss look'in at that.
PicturesOfYourBoiler2 001.JPG
Yellow Boiler
-Don
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved by lighting something on fire.

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post Sat. Jul. 26, 2014 9:10 am

You should bite the bullet and give the covers a dose of Chevy paint! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think a man does what he can, untill his destiny is revealed. Right now that is trying to sell my EFM plate boilers in 520 and 700 sizes.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: BairMatic BMC-500 with Van Wert VA400 Stoker, Gentleman Janitor GJ-671/EFM S-15 stoker, Van Wert VA-600

Post Sat. Aug. 02, 2014 9:08 am

Yesterday I spent some time with my 2 foot pipe wrench, an 8 foot pipe, the air chisle and a can of Peanut Butter Blaster. I used a 6x6 and an 8 foot 2x4 to move the boiler out so I could get a good shot at that second return plug.
YFreplumb1 001.JPG
YF replumb
YFreplumb1 003.JPG
YF replumb
You can see the beginings of my 8" chimney, more on that later.
YFreplumb1 006.JPG
YF replumb
YFreplumb1 007.JPG
YF replumb
When I re-plumb this the boiler bypass will plumb into the newly opened return port on the left and the house zone and DHW zone will return on the right. The return sizes are 1.5" so there should be no flow problems.

Yesterday I also found a metal shop that will fabricate my Tri-Burner addaptor plate for the Yellow Flame. It should be done next week.

Thank you,

-Don
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved by lighting something on fire.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Post Sat. Aug. 02, 2014 9:20 am

Looking good SD :)

Can you add a picture of the TriBurner here?
SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post Sat. Aug. 02, 2014 9:37 am

StokerDon wrote:Yesterday I spent some time with my 2 foot pipe wrench, an 8 foot pipe, the air chisle and a can of Peanut Butter Blaster.
With pipe threads being tapered and some of them being grumpy, I find a couple of good smacks with a heavy hammer makes them a lot more cooperative. :)
Nothing is impossible for people who don't have to do it themselves.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post Sat. Aug. 02, 2014 10:05 am

McGiever wrote:Looking good SD :)

Can you add a picture of the TriBurner here?
Of corse I can add a picture of the Tri-Burner. Nothing has changed on that front yet. Next week I will see if the addaptor plate fits. It will be 1/4" plate steel.
YF-TirBurnerConversion 001.JPG
YF-TirBurnerConversion 007.JPG
This is the link to the Yellow Flame to Tri-Burner thread.

Yellow Flame to Tri-Burner Conversion. What Do You Think?

-Don

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post Sat. Aug. 02, 2014 10:09 am

coaledsweat wrote:
StokerDon wrote:Yesterday I spent some time with my 2 foot pipe wrench, an 8 foot pipe, the air chisle and a can of Peanut Butter Blaster.
With pipe threads being tapered and some of them being grumpy, I find a couple of good smacks with a heavy hammer makes them a lot more cooperative. :)
That was my thinking too. But I realized the air chisle can whack much quicker and more accurately than I can. After softening it up with the air chisle, it came out and is still usable.

-Don

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post Sat. Aug. 02, 2014 6:34 pm

Hmmm. I knew the hammer trick but the air chisel trick,,,,,, SWEET! Good job!
I think a man does what he can, untill his destiny is revealed. Right now that is trying to sell my EFM plate boilers in 520 and 700 sizes.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post Sat. Aug. 02, 2014 8:50 pm

While the boiler was out, I figured I would fix one of the boo-boo's I made last winter in my hast to get the boiler fired. I put the boiler right on the floor, it should be on a pedastal. I went out and got some 16x8x4 concrete blocks and some mortor in a tube and here it is.
YFreplumb2 002.JPG
YFreplumb2 004.JPG
Then set the boiler on it's new throne.
YFreplumb2 009.JPG
YFreplumb2 010.JPG
Sealed it to the blocks.
YFreplumb2 012.JPG
And there it is.
YFreplumb2 011.JPG
Some of the threaded pipe will need to change now that the boiler is about 3.5 inches higher.

By mid September I hope to have everything plumbed and the Tri-Burner in there. Then I can fire it up and heat DHW with it!

I can't wait!

-Don

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post Sun. Aug. 10, 2014 7:46 pm

OK, so maybe I went a little crazy. Since I had so many leaks in my threaded pipe plumbing, I decided to take it all apart, clean it, wire wheel it and paint it (again). Also, I have come up with a more organized and concise header and return. The boiler bypass will go into the newly opened return port and will be partly PEX.

This is what I've have completed so far.

Last year, I had the aquastat in the trombone where the round gage is now. I am moving the aquastat to the front port on the boiler. I think it will react a little quicker there.
Re-Plumbing 007.JPG
Re-plumb
Re-Plumbing 008.JPG
Re-plumb
Boiler bypass will feed into the return on the left, 3/4". The zones will return on the right, 1 1/4".
Re-Plumbing 005.JPG
Re-plumb
Re-Plumbing 006.JPG
Re-plumb
Re-Plumbing 001.JPG
Re-plumb
Well that's it for this weekend. During the week I will try to get the rest of the pipes cleaned up and painted. That way I can finish puting the treaded pipe back together next weekend. Then I will do the PEX piping and install the Boiler Mate.

-Don

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post Sat. Aug. 16, 2014 9:26 pm

The threaded pipe is now complete. I sure hope it doesn't leak again! Next will be the PEX piping for the Boiler Mate and domestic water to the garage. After that, there is the 8" chimney, the Tri-Burner conversion, the wiring, the insualtion, ect...

I'll be lucky if I get it fired by late September!

Here's what we got now.
YFreplumb3 002.JPG
Re-plumb
YFreplumb3 003.JPG
Re-plumb
YFreplumb3 005.JPG
Re-plumb
YFreplumb3 009.JPG
Re-plumb
YFreplumb3 010.JPG
Re-plumb
Two zones with air bleed valves near the top of the returns to make it easy to fill the system. Capable of expanding to 1 more zone. Pump away configuration with air scoop, air bleeds and boiler bypass.

I hope we get some cold weather this winter!

-Don

titleist1
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

Post Sun. Aug. 17, 2014 7:14 am

Lookin Good SD!!!

I have a few more outside projects to get done so I am not yet as anxious for the cold weather to get here as you are.
I drive a VW TDI, heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have two vintage JD diesel tractors....
The EPA just loves me!!

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post Sun. Aug. 17, 2014 9:40 am

You better hurry up. In 2 weeks it will be September!

And there is still your boiler project to prepair for!

-Don

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Post Sun. Aug. 17, 2014 9:45 am

So when does the insulation go on?

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post Sun. Aug. 17, 2014 10:19 am

Rob R. wrote:So when does the insulation go on?
After I re-run part of my PEX snake, put up the 8" chimney, plumb in the Boiler Mate & domestic water, do all the wiring, complete the Tri-Burner conversion, go up north to pickup 2 more boilers,,, whoops, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that, make a hopper for the Tri-Burner, Then I can work on the insulation and covers.

Hold my calls please, I will be busy for the next month or so.

I do hope to squeeze in some time to go to the Meet and Greet though. I think I wiil bring one of the Yellow Flame stokers, something to set it on, an ash pan and some coal. That should keep us warm!

-Don

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic and Steam)”