Pipe Size From Boiler to House

Ted4

Post by Ted4 » Tue. Mar. 18, 2014 8:59 am

I know I'm a pain in the ass. I'm not afraid to read, I'm just so tired at night it don't stick. But I guess I better.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Mar. 18, 2014 9:22 am

I read thro lots of threads on here & base my expectations on their outcomes,can't see that your set up & plans need to be complicated to the tenth degree. If you think you are a pain the butt,you haven't read many threads on here yet,ask all the questions you want,you will receive a lot of opinions & advise that you can then apply as best suited for your situation.

Sting
Other Heating: OBSO Lennox Pulse "Air Scorcher" burning NG

Post by Sting » Tue. Mar. 18, 2014 9:32 am

Ted4 wrote:I know I'm a pain in the ass. I'm not afraid to read, I'm just so tired at night it don't stick. But I guess I better.
I love it when folks tell me this -- -NOT

Some comment how I run circles around the "young' guys on the job and I reply " I will have plenty of time to sleep when I am dead" :lol:

There are two motivators in life -- Fear and LOVE

All else is a Consequence

Lu47Dan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Sears circulator air tight stove.
Other Heating: Crown 115,000 BTU oil fired boiler(house) Weil Mclain 150,000BTU oil fired boiler(Shop)

Post by Lu47Dan » Tue. Mar. 18, 2014 11:56 am

Ted, remember that water flows more quickly in the center of a pipe than against the walls of the pipe, this can cause problems when a piping system is grossly oversized for the appliance it is feeding.
In essence running a 2" line to a appliance that has 1" ports, allows too much dwell time. In other words the water volume in the larger pipe can not flow through the appliance at that gpm at that pressure. That is also hard on equipment and noisy in operation.
Doing the math is the only sure way to make the system work correctly. I did the math when picking the oil boiler for the house. But I have upgraded the windows and insulation in the house since the boiler was installed. Is the boiler oversized for the present load, the answer is yes it is.
Figuring the heating load for the house and the new shop(not built yet) was a pain as the boiler will have to feed two buildings, one the shop will only have full time heat in the machine area 18' X 30'(68°F) and a much lower setting for the work bays 32' X 40' (55°F) The heat load on the shop will very greatly. I sat for several days running the figures and came up with a BTU range required to handle the house and shop. A EFM 700 or 520 will handle it. Piping is another story as I am not 100% sure on how big to run the piping from the boiler house to the shop. I am right on the edge of being too small.
Adding another zone to the system would be a good idea to help with the control of the system.
When you have done the math than you can buy the correct sized pipe to handle the load you will have.
Dan.

Lu47Dan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Sears circulator air tight stove.
Other Heating: Crown 115,000 BTU oil fired boiler(house) Weil Mclain 150,000BTU oil fired boiler(Shop)

Post by Lu47Dan » Tue. Mar. 18, 2014 12:06 pm

One other thing, as to posting separate questions to separate threads, that concern the same system, just add a link to the question in the main thread.
Like this.
This thread is connected to.....
Trenched Foam vs insulated pipe.
Trenched Foam Vs Insulated Pipe
Sometimes another member needs the information contained in a thread but can not find it buried in 30 pages of a thread so posting multiple questions in separate threads helps when searching for the needed information.
One message board I am on has a thread that just kept going with multiple projects and multiple questions, it had some very good information in it, but was a pain to find it. The Moderators eventually separated the information out into threads of it's own and locked it. That started the MB's Tips and tricks forum.
Dan.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Wed. Mar. 19, 2014 3:23 pm

I bought one book "Modern Hydronic Heating". Roughly $100.00 when I bought it. Well Worth The Money! I read that book over, and over, and over, till I understood everything I needed to know. Did all my calculations. Figured materials, and installed my system. Come the dead of winter, when Everything works as it should, that's when you'll see, it paid to do your homework. I couldn't ask for a more evenly heated house. So, go buy the book. It's a one time deal. You'll be very happy you did. You can always sell the book when you're done. If you're like me, you'll keep it for reference. Or maybe a future system.

Ted4

Post by Ted4 » Wed. Mar. 19, 2014 4:12 pm

Thanks to all for the patience and input, much appreciated

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Thu. Mar. 20, 2014 10:05 pm

The question you are really wanting to answer is what pipe size is needed to move the needed heat (BTUs) from the boiler to the radiation system in your house. There are many solutions, ranging from pure guesses, rules of thumb to engineering calculations. For the engineering method look at what I've previously posted in the following thread:

Yanche's Toolbox, Piping & Circulator Selection Method

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Mar. 22, 2014 12:16 pm

Yanche,

That's a great thread, a lot of useful info there. I wish I would have found it 3 months ago!

-Don

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”