EFM the Way to Go? How Much?

ShawnTRD
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA6 (New in April 2014)
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice
Other Heating: Weil Mclain WGO-2 (Net 75k BTU)

Post by ShawnTRD » Wed. Feb. 19, 2014 11:42 pm

I'm trying to research all my options for adding a coal furnace to my currant fuel oil hot water baseboard. I had a dealer recommend the Ketstoker KA6. But I keep seeing EFM 520. Is this something I should look into more? Looks like the KA6 has a rear hopper that holds about 300 lbs of coal. And I see EFM's using 55 gallon plastic drum. I kinda like the drum idea.

So a new KA6 is about $6k with tax, plus install. I'm not much for used or reman stuff. But it might be a option. What do you think?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Feb. 20, 2014 4:53 am

Many of us do feed EFM units with a drum, but you can also feed them out of a large bin, or something in between. I prefer EFM 520's over the KA-6 for the increased capacity and low level of coal feed (easier to feed from bin or drum than dump coal into a shoulder level hopper), but it is tough to ignore the cost difference if you are looking at new units. A new EFM 520 will blow a big hole in $9000, or more depending on the dealer. I have always purchased use/reman units and consider them to be the best value. If you have cash in hand and start looking early, you might get a good buy on a used unit...sometimes they are only a few years old.

Used Keystokers some of the least expensive units available, they also have a the benefit of a small footprint. Depending on how your basement is setup, an EFM with an auger/bin setup might not be an option.

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Thu. Feb. 20, 2014 5:21 am

Many problems can occur with fumes/odors if using a drum and short auger with the 520. That's why efm never recommended using anything but a properly designed bin and both worms.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Thu. Feb. 20, 2014 6:27 am

The Keystoker may be the better unit for the average user. However, its nice to know that you can sell the EFM twenty years from now for more than you paid for it. 8-)

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Thu. Feb. 20, 2014 7:23 am

I got a 4 year old Keystoker KA6 for $2000.00. Admittedly, an unusually good deal. Crazy guy wanted to switch to wood,.....emphasis on crazy! :) I installed it myself. Total cost a little more than $3000.00. I had to buy a hot water to hot air heat exchanger for my hot air oil furnace to tie the two together. I've been more than happy with the KA6! As a first time stoker buyer, I found the Keystoker much simpler and less intimidating. Very few things to break or wear out. I would love an EFM, however, but it just didn't make economic sense at this time. The deal I found was just too good to pass up. You will be happy with either unit. Loading the hopper is not really that big a deal. You can always add an auger to move coal from your bin or barrel to the KA6 hopper. From what I've read, a KA6 can last a long, long time. Maybe not as long as an EFM,...but neither would I, at this point! toothy if properly maintained, either unit can be the only one you ever buy.

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Thu. Feb. 20, 2014 7:54 am

I would not fear buying a reconditioned efm from the many competent people who can offer you one.
I have one that was built from circa 1953 thats as old as I ,it had minimum rework.

cardinal
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by cardinal » Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 9:15 pm

Had my efm 520 with oil package installed 4 years ago cost 10,000 installed. With the price of oil I will have my money back at the end of 5th year. Its a win win

ShawnTRD
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA6 (New in April 2014)
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice
Other Heating: Weil Mclain WGO-2 (Net 75k BTU)

Post by ShawnTRD » Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 11:01 pm

cardinal wrote:Had my efm 520 with oil package installed 4 years ago cost 10,000 installed. With the price of oil I will have my money back at the end of 5th year. Its a win win
Was that a new 520? Did you install a chimney?

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Sat. Feb. 22, 2014 6:54 am

If it was new, there was no profit made.

cardinal
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by cardinal » Sat. Feb. 22, 2014 10:49 pm

:oops: Sorry I should have mention that ,I had 2 year old new yorker oil burner removed that was installed when house was built in 2007. So I did have oil tank and all the plumbing there, plus chimney .The efm slid right in place not much plumbing . I did have to raise chimney cause of down draft and add a vent for outside air cause dryer was sucking air from boiler, and yes it was new I did not know at the time that you could get a rebuilt one . I learned that on this good forum,I also use a 55 gallon drum for coal . Coal is King :D

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”