EFM 520 Auger Problems

flealie

Post by flealie » Mon. Feb. 17, 2014 9:59 am

I have been burning a 520 boiler now for about 6 years. This year I installed the longer bin auger on my system. Previously I had it set up just as it was when I bought it (used) which was with just the pot auger. The new longer auger has been real nice as it totally eliminated any odors and is just all around a better set up.

Now here is the problem. Thursday of last week the pot auger (new this year) broke in half right at the beginning of the flighting. I took it out the the shop, welded it back together and reinstalled. During the reinstallation it went up the auger pipe and through the pot with no problems but it was a bit high (about 3/4") of the hole where it goes through the casting of the "blower/gearbox assembley". I was able to get it through the hole and the unit ran great for another two days until it sheared the auger again. This time right where the roll pin goes through the bushing. I am not sure why the cotter pin that couples the gearbox to the auger does not shear but I am thinking something else is going on. Possibly an aligment problem? Anyone have any ideas?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Feb. 17, 2014 10:08 am

The cotter pins are not supposed to break, there is a shear pin at the very end if the clutch shaft that should break first. At the square end of the shaft, there is a round hub surrounding the shaft, the shear pin joins the hub to the shaft. Perhaps someone replaced the shear pin with a nail or something similar.

Did you check the pot bushing when you had it apart? Did things spin smoothly and easily?

Are your auger pipes fitted tightly together inside the coupler? If not, that is a common reason for shearing pins, especially with buck size coal.

JRDepew
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350

Post by JRDepew » Mon. Feb. 17, 2014 10:13 am

EFM had shear pins installed for this reason...Using cotter pins can result in your auger snapping instead of your shear pin. Call up EFM or one of the dealers and get 5-10 shear pins delivered ASAP.

Onto the broken auger, my guess is that you sucked up something harder/larger than the coal you are supposed to be burning (maybe a rock or some ashpalt?). This caused the initial auger failure. When you welded the auger back together, if there is any offset or misalignment then the auger will be stressed at every rotation. This will take a toll on your auger, bushings, and gearbox in short order. I think you best option at this point is to get a new/good used pot auger, and a new pot bushing. Install the new pot bushing being careful to drive it to the correct depth and make sure you don't deform it, then install the new pot auger.

Joe

flealie

Post by flealie » Mon. Feb. 17, 2014 1:59 pm

thanks for the reply's gentlemen. I will say that I have an aluminum pipe with aluminum coupler that for my auger pipe and it is not perfectly straight...the coupling failed and it has a slight downward tilt toward the Bin/barrel. I will get that straightened up toninght. The bushing looked like now when I took it out. I will get the right pins for teh coupler of the clutch/auger shaft from EFM. Thanks again for you help.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Feb. 17, 2014 7:50 pm

It is very important that the pipes are straight, and fit together with no gaps.

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Tue. Feb. 18, 2014 5:12 am

Since your short auger is relatively new, you should contact your dealer or efm to see if it can be replaced under warranty.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”