KA6 Coking up in the Grates

BennyLumpkin

Post by BennyLumpkin » Thu. Feb. 06, 2014 3:41 pm

When I say high heat I'm referring to my high low....I run mine a bit higher at 160/200ish. As far as the air flapper there is already a pic of it up on the first or second page.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Feb. 06, 2014 3:45 pm

And flap is NOT completely closed. :roll:

BennyLumpkin

Post by BennyLumpkin » Thu. Feb. 06, 2014 3:52 pm

I posted about 3 replies ago I double checked my settings and it is NOT closed. I had opened it back up to about half and set my draft again. Its all set by the manual or close to it. Its gotta be coal. I've had it since Nov. of 2012 and its just now started this....Its Blaschak that was left in my bin from last spring.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Thu. Feb. 06, 2014 4:05 pm

Okay, it's NOT closed...but while trying to help you earlier myself and others ask you to back off the comb. air some, to which you replied it's already all the way closed.
So again...Could you back off the comb. air a little to see if the fused ash will lessen up? Thank you very much.

BennyLumpkin

Post by BennyLumpkin » Thu. Feb. 06, 2014 4:18 pm

I used to keep the combustion air almost completely open but since this started I've been backing it down. ... it's maybe open a 1/2" now at most.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Thu. Feb. 06, 2014 4:22 pm

BennyLumpkin wrote:I used to keep the combustion air almost completely open but since this started I've been backing it down. ... it's maybe open a 1/2" now at most.
Wrong answer Benny, back it down some more.
You still breaking this cookie up regularly with a stick or rod?

BennyLumpkin

Post by BennyLumpkin » Thu. Feb. 06, 2014 4:31 pm

How far closed can I go before it goes out? I'm still breaking it up regularly.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Thu. Feb. 06, 2014 4:35 pm

BennyLumpkin wrote:How far closed can I go before it goes out? I'm still breaking it up regularly.
Live on the "edge" for a little while Benny and see how low can you go.
just make an adjustment and give it an hour to see what effect it had...don't be in a hurry.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Thu. Feb. 06, 2014 4:37 pm

BennyLumpkin wrote:How far closed can I go before it goes out? I'm still breaking it up regularly.
You can close it all the way and seal it with duct tape and it should not go out.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Thu. Feb. 06, 2014 4:39 pm

When you see the flame height drop you know you are getting somewhere.

BennyLumpkin

Post by BennyLumpkin » Thu. Feb. 06, 2014 4:40 pm

Give me a sec til they load to photobucket and I'll show my air settings for both. I just got home and took pics.

BennyLumpkin

Post by BennyLumpkin » Thu. Feb. 06, 2014 4:42 pm

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Thu. Feb. 06, 2014 4:44 pm

gaw wrote:
You can close it all the way and seal it with duct tape and it should not go out.
If you close it all the way and seal it with duct tape where is it going to get air to blow through the holes in the grates?

Rev. Larry
New Beginning Church
Ashland Pa.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Thu. Feb. 06, 2014 4:54 pm

Benny excellent photo saved a ton of questions.....You are adjusting the auxiliary fan that keeps the fire fluffed during idle. That is not the main flame combustion blower. That is an add on blower from a kit sent out by Keystoker for their older boilers. Its mounted to the housing which holds your main blower.

Your statement was correct however. You can adjust that all you want it won't make a difference for your draft or fire height. There should be an adjustment lever that will open or close the suction side of the main combustion blower.

You should be able to adjust the damper for the main combustion blower and shut it partly down. Make an adjustment on the main blower and watch the flame height. Once you start closing that down, you will notice a difference. Make a change and wait no less than an hour before you try something else. That boiler will hold heat a long time.
Do you know where the damper for the main blower is?

I also recommend you back the temps down on the aquastat. Having the high at 200 makes it very close to the high temp trip point. Suggest you back it down to 160 low 180 high with 10 differential. That should stop the high trip temps and may even take care of the clinker cakes. Anyway it can't hurt anything, can only help, and will save you some coal. With the K6 boiler you have lots of capability of keeping up without tripping.

Make some changes and let us know.

Rev. Larry
New Beginning Church
Ashland Pa.

BennyLumpkin

Post by BennyLumpkin » Thu. Feb. 06, 2014 5:03 pm

The grey flapper is for the main combustion air correct? The one in the first pic right? As far as the temps....Its not bothering anything up that high....I'm borderline undersized because me house is huge and uninsulated. It keeps up and works less hard keeping it at a higher temp. It was coking up before that as much as now. It doesn't go over 200 and if it did I'd back it down.....once the weather is a bit warmer I'll turn it down but its worked so much better at those temps than it did at 160/180. Its never tripped on high temp.....I wasnt clear when I mentioned it I guess....when I said trip I meant it satisfied itself at its high temp setting. I'll mess with the air flapper tonight and see what it does. I just don't understand why after a year and a few months it all of the sudden starts doing this. Thanks for the help guys....I'm sure we'll get it yet

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”