Fan Motor is Done and It's 10 Degrees Outside

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 8:14 am

All depends on the load you put on it. If the unit is oversized enough you can get long burns with wood, but it will also be a creosote monster in mild weather.
Dennis wrote:
Rob R. wrote:I can't imagine going from the once a day tending of a stoker to every 4-8 hrs with a wood unit. :(
yup,I totally agree,i'm planning to get a stoker
Maybe you guys should swap. :)

dchartt
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS 130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay

Post by dchartt » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 8:23 am

Rob R. wrote:I can't imagine going from the once a day tending of a stoker to every 4-8 hrs with a wood unit. :(
Rob let me ask you the million dollar ?

Where are the hand fed wood/coal units cranking out major BTU's if ahs's wont heat a chicken coop?

dchartt

Post by dchartt » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 8:25 am

Dennis wrote:
yup,I totally agree,i'm planning to get a stoker
Maybe you guys should swap. :)[/quote]

I can swap this 130 for a new wc55

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 8:33 am

I don't understand your question. I never said their units couldn't heat X size building.

Anything that is made to burn wood and coal is a compromise for each fuel. A multi-fuel unit has a hard time getting a clean & efficient burn with firewood. I used to heat my house with an Itasca wood/coal boiler, and when it was really cold I had to add wood about every 2 hours. I think the boiler was rated at 150,000 BTU's per hr, it wasn't a small unit by any means. The catch is that the BTU figure they stamp on the boiler is achieved with very dry wood, burning very hard, and under those conditions you have to add wood frequently.

I am not trying to dismiss your idea or pick on AHS, I just don't think you will be happy with a hand-fed wood/coal boiler, regardless of the brand name.

Maybe you should start a new thread to seek more feedback from multi-fuel boiler owners.

dchartt

Post by dchartt » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 8:36 am

I know I know the chicken coop was my idea, how do outside wood boilers achieve such long burn times? Im not being smart here thats a serious ?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 8:39 am

Multi fuel anything SUK--they tend to be made to half-ass'd burn either, or! Make a decision on which route you'd prefer--coal OR wood! Just an old farmers experienced thoughts. :)

Coalfire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Coalfire » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 8:46 am

dchartt wrote:I know I know the chicken coop was my idea, how do outside wood boilers achieve such long burn times? Im not being smart here thats a serious ?
A large firebox, and they smolder that is why a lot of townships ban them. they really can stink up the neighborhood.

As a side note if you are upset about the time to repair your boiler monthly why not just get one of the non exploding models from another manufacture. like keystoker of EFM ?

Eric

dchartt

Post by dchartt » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 8:49 am

Coalfire wrote:
dchartt wrote:I know I know the chicken coop was my idea, how do outside wood boilers achieve such long burn times? Im not being smart here thats a serious ?
A large firebox, and they smolder that is why a lot of townships ban them. they really can stink up the neighborhood.

As a side note if you are upset about the time to repair your boiler monthly why not just get one of the non exploding models from another manufacture. like keystoker of EFM ?

Eric
EFM has always been in the back of my mind, maybe time to move them up front ehh?

kstills
Stoker Coal Boiler: WL 110

Post by kstills » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 9:02 am

freetown fred wrote:Multi fuel anything SUK--they tend to be made to half-ass'd burn either, or! Make a decision on which route you'd prefer--coal OR wood! Just an old farmers experienced thoughts. :)
......Dave? .....Matt?.....

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 9:14 am

freetown fred wrote:Multi fuel anything SUK--they tend to be made to half-ass'd burn either, or! Make a decision on which route you'd prefer--coal OR wood! Just an old farmers experienced thoughts. :)
It's like any stove,you need to know how to operate them properly
dchartt wrote:Maybe you guys should swap.
I like my ASH,but i'd NEVER buy a coal gun,i'm going with a DF520.I do have a over sized boiler right now since I don't have the shop hooked up to it yet.And with this Ballsack coal,i'd never be able to use the boiler to it's 225k limit

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 9:25 am

OWB & long burn times = no load !!!!! I installed our OWB in Sept.2006,had lots of free wood from local truck body plant,have since lost that supply & now buy all our wood.With the current frigid temps ,a long burn time for us would be 6-8 hrs.max.& ours has a 60"x 38 " firebox,yes,in moderate temps we can go 24 hrs.on fill,30* nites,55* days. Stink -- we rarely have more than a pleasant smokehouse smell if we are burning fairly dry wood,summertime DHW load is light & requires dry wood to help prevent stink.I will never again go with an outdoor unit !! ,we recently repaired ours at 3 a/m -3*,30 mph wind !! Install in an insulated shed ,maybe . As Rob R. said,wood/coal is a compromise with one of the fuels,coal will not work in ours .If you really feel the need to be able to burn wood ,buy a good coal unit that can burn wood when you can babysit the unit . Just some thoughts from a 56 yr old who is sick & TIRED of the wood work load :mad3:

dchartt

Post by dchartt » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 9:39 am

the whole Phil May thread has me worried, jeez their wc units seem like theyd crank the heat

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 9:50 am

dchartt wrote:the whole Phil May thread has me worried, jeez their wc units seem like theyd crank the heat
I think Phil had undergroung piping issues and had a very large heat load.I'm sure he will let you know his problems.
How much heat load will you need,with figguring in the underground piping and DHW. My freind has a wood boiler in his basement and with wood you have that yo-yo heat spikes all the time,make sure you have a extra large expansion tank installed.

dchartt

Post by dchartt » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 9:53 am

starting a multi fuel thread

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 10:01 am

Dennis wrote:I like my ASH,but i'd NEVER buy a coal gun
I'm not basing AHS, I need a boiler with a oil gun attachment on it

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”