Yellow Flame, A Christmas Stoker Boiler

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Dec. 21, 2013 8:30 pm

I have been wanting a stoker boiler now for a few months. After a visit to CoalKirk's place, I REALY wanted a stoker boiler! I had reseached all the useual suspects, narrowed it down to EFM. And then this 3 grate Yellow Flame became avialable. Yellow Flame, What's that? Did some more internet research, nothing. The only info on Yellow Flame stokers that I have found is right here on this forum. Thanks to members of this forum, I was given enough information to feel confident about getting this thing! Thank you All!

Here are some pics of my adventure up to coal country to recover this wonderful little boiler. I call it an adventure because I had to do all the loading and unloading by myself, the owner is unfortunatly disabled.
YellowFlamePickup 003.JPG

loaded

.JPG | 135.4KB | YellowFlamePickup 003.JPG
YellowFlamePickup 009.JPG

safely at home

.JPG | 137KB | YellowFlamePickup 009.JPG
YellowFlamePickup 015.JPG

boiler

.JPG | 160.1KB | YellowFlamePickup 015.JPG
YellowFlamePickup 025.JPG

mech

.JPG | 134.4KB | YellowFlamePickup 025.JPG
This is the strangest looking timer I have ever seen, the owner said he only used it in the summertime?
YellowFlamePickup 031.JPG

timer

.JPG | 129.5KB | YellowFlamePickup 031.JPG
So, tomorrow starts the process of wirewheeling, rust treatment, cleaning and painting. If I can get this bit and some pluming done, I will run it in the garage this winter, then move it to the basement for next winter. Due to the lack if info on this stoker, I will upload a video discription of the stoker running and discribe what is going on.
It should be a fun time!
Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Don

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Dec. 21, 2013 9:36 pm

And a Merry Christmas to You and Yours,Don ! Go slow and easy,and I'm sure a few Folks here will kick in with advice on your Yellow Flame Stoker ! :)

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Dec. 21, 2013 9:44 pm

Nice find!

That's the same timer I'm using, it's a Honeywell. Has to be mounted correctly in order to work properly. Runs the stoker twice per hour unless you flip the removable piece around, then it's once per hour. I have the instructions for it if you need them.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sat. Dec. 21, 2013 9:52 pm

I don't know a thing about Yellow Flame stokers but someone here does and will help you. Glad to hear I'm partially responsible for you getting the stoker boiler bug. I'm sure once you get it up and running you will never look back. Congrats!!

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Dec. 21, 2013 9:55 pm

Thanks Wood'nCoal, Bob,

Wood'nCoal, I'm so glad someone recognizses this timer. I thought I might have to convert to a Dayton or something, could you send me the info and or model number?

That White Truck is what gets me into these messes!

Thank you,

-Don

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Dec. 21, 2013 9:57 pm

Yeah, that's a Honeywell S400-A timer, discontinued for some time now.
It was widely used on just about every stoker when still in production.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Dec. 21, 2013 10:00 pm

coalkirk wrote:I don't know a thing about Yellow Flame stokers but someone here does and will help you. Glad to hear I'm partially responsible for you getting the stoker boiler bug. I'm sure once you get it up and running you will never look back. Congrats!!
Thanks coalkirk,

I will invite you over when I get it running. Woodhog wants to come over to see it while its still in pieces. I tried to talk him into the boiler thing, but he went with hot air and he's happy with it.

-Don

Dragonslayer
Stoker Coal Boiler: Yellow Flame w/model A stoker

Post by Dragonslayer » Sat. Dec. 21, 2013 10:04 pm

Hello StokerDon,
Congratulations on your early visit from Santa! Your new present looks familiar. It is very similar to mine. I've included a few pictures for comparison.
Good luck with the rebuild and install!
Happy Holiday's!
Dragonslayer.

Attachments

more yellow flame 2-11-12 067.jpg
.JPG | 127.9KB | more yellow flame 2-11-12 067.jpg
more yellow flame 2-25-12 059.jpg
.JPG | 135.1KB | more yellow flame 2-25-12 059.jpg
coal detroit falcon truck 163.jpg
.JPG | 113.4KB | coal detroit falcon truck 163.jpg

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Dec. 21, 2013 10:10 pm

StokerDon wrote:Thanks Wood'nCoal, Bob,

Wood'nCoal, I'm so glad someone recognizses this timer. I thought I might have to convert to a Dayton or something, could you send me the info and or model number?

That White Truck is what gets me into these messes!

Thank you,

-Don
Same problem here. :D
My Coal Hauler
If that timer runs I'd stick with it. I'll scan and PM you the instructions tomorrow.

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sat. Dec. 21, 2013 10:45 pm

Those Yellow Flames are real nice units. They can burn barley, rice, or buckwheat. They also have a fines cleanout lever that a lot of the flat plat stokers do not have. They have an easily adjustable feed rate on the side of the gear attached to the transmission. Pull a screw out and put it into another hole that gets progressively farther away from center of that gear. The transmission is the same one that comes on Van Werts. Also rebuildable with off the shelf parts. The motor is also a standard oil burner motor. What I liked most about the boiler head was the heat exchanger. The top of the burn chamber looks just like the heat exchanger for a plate EFM, just horizontal instead of vertical. Mark's Supply in Shenendoah Pa. sells burn plates for them. That boiler would benefit greatly from a dose of newer style controls. All in all, a great little boiler. Great design, great boiler head, not many parts to wear out and real easy to tend. That boiler that was refurbed by Dragonslayer is beautiful!

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Sun. Dec. 22, 2013 8:20 am

Cool looking boiler. The timer is just like mine. I've had a time with it that the motor stops spinning now and then. During the winter I unhook it and just let it sit looking cool on the wall. :lol:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Dec. 22, 2013 8:28 am

Outstanding. Those units have some really neat features.

I would scrap the controls.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Dec. 22, 2013 9:19 am

Dragonslayer wrote:Hello StokerDon,
Congratulations on your early visit from Santa! Your new present looks familiar. It is very similar to mine. I've included a few pictures for comparison.
Good luck with the rebuild and install!
Happy Holiday's!
Dragonslayer.
Dragonslayer,

Your posts are some of the few that I found about Yellow Flames. I have all the pictures that I found stored on my computer for reference. But, I never saw the close-ups of the finished product, that looks great! I like the red on the moving parts. I'm thinking of going mostly yellow over black. One question, do I need to use high heat paint on a boiler? I would think the outside would stay below 200 degrees. That should be low enough for ratle can enamel.

Thank you for sharing,

Don

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Dec. 22, 2013 9:37 am

PM with timer instructions sent.
I would be suspect of the other controls, particularly the aquastat, but if the timer works properly why not use it? Save a little $$$. I installed a new aquastat on the EFM, but my timer was new old stock so I went with it.
Last edited by CoalHeat on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Oops! Hit edit instead of quote.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Dec. 22, 2013 9:54 am

Wood'nCoal wrote:PM with timer instructions sent.
I would be suspect of the other controls, particularly the aquastat, but if the timer works properly why not use it? Save a little $$$. I installed a new aquastat on the EFM, but my timer was new old stock so I went with it.
30 minute timers don't mix well with inclined bed stokers. Good coal and draft are must haves if a 30 minute cycle is used, and you can forget burning buck in the summer with a 30 minute cycle.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”