Yellow Flame, A Christmas Stoker Boiler

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Mon. Oct. 23, 2017 9:49 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Sat. Apr. 05, 2014 9:39 pm
I went up to Shamokin today and bought the rest of the Yellow Flame parts. The guy I bought my boiler from had some spare parts from other YF boilers he was selling seprately. Sorry Whistelnut, I know you were eye'in up those parts but I just had ta git'um!

What I got was;

A four grate stoker, complete accept for a couple linkage pieces.

YellowFlame4GrateParts 008.JPG
YellowFlame4GrateParts 005.JPG

An ash door with frame. A side rail.

YellowFlame4GrateParts 010.JPG

A hopper that is probably scrap.

YellowFlame4GrateParts 012.JPG

And a mistery fire door. It says "DIETRICH" on it, anyone care to guess what it is from?

YellowFlame4GrateParts 014.JPG

I love driving up to that area. I'm always suprized when I round a bend and I suddenly realize that hill across the way is all COAL!!! I don't know how many mines are up there but the coal hills seem to be everywhere.

The 4 grate stoker is 3 inches wider than my 3 grate, so I don't think I can jam it into my boiler. Maybe I can find a Keystoker boiler to stuff it into.

Bottom line, I got more stoker parts to play with. I am so glad this has been a long winter!

-Don
I can't judge the size of your mystery door but it looks like a coal door for a foundation. Is it big enough for a coal chute. I believe I have seen similar doors with that name on. There was a local mason named Dietrich, could he have had a foundry make them for him or is it just a coincidence. I have to look and ask around when I get back home.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Tue. Oct. 24, 2017 7:02 pm

Wow, a blast from the passed!
Thanks for bringing this one back Gaw. I never did figure this out, and I still have the door.
IMG_1751.JPG
.JPG | 270.9KB | IMG_1751.JPG
IMG_1752.JPG
.JPG | 366KB | IMG_1752.JPG
I never thought about it being a coal chute door but I think you are on to something. Lets find out if you are right.
Long ways, the back of the frame is a little less than 16".
IMG_1753.JPG
.JPG | 347KB | IMG_1753.JPG
Short ways, the back of the frame is a little less than 8".
IMG_1754.JPG
.JPG | 360.2KB | IMG_1754.JPG
Gaw I think you are the Winner!
If you remove an 8x16 block from the wall, this door frame would fit right in there.

Thank you!

-Don

Joelharris58
Stoker Coal Boiler: Yellow flame
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Sears homart
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Joelharris58 » Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 10:55 pm

I have a yellow flame that looks similar but it has covers on it to where you don’t see the two seperate parts between the boiler and ash box does anyone know if it will break down like yours into two parts?

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Tue. Oct. 23, 2018 7:41 pm

Joelharris58 wrote:
Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 10:55 pm
I have a yellow flame that looks similar but it has covers on it to where you don’t see the two seperate parts between the boiler and ash box does anyone know if it will break down like yours into two parts?
Welcome Joe.

I can't speak for the bigger Yellow Flames but the smaller ones like this have a seperate base and boiler. You need to pull the covers off to see this. I posted some instructions in your Yellow Flame thread. Get some pictures of it so we all can see it!

-Don

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”