VF3000 Harman

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Dec. 15, 2018 7:23 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Good to here that your VF-3000 does the job.

-Don

dkononczuk
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF-3000
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by dkononczuk » Sat. Dec. 22, 2018 11:27 pm

rka wrote:
Sat. Dec. 15, 2018 5:11 pm
Hello, Im new here but want to talk about the VF3000 I own and have used for about 10 years. I live near the Harman factory here in PA so my comments may be a bit biased toward Harman. The quality is excellent, but the nice thing is the simplicity of the pusher block operation. After a burn season I remove and clean the whole mechanical assembly and store it out of a humid atmosphere till the new burning season starts or reinstall for hot water heating in the summer. The one negative thing I noticed the first year I used it was the domestic water coil did not seem to produce enough hot water for a family of four. What I did was simply looped the domestic water coil to a electric 40 gallon water heater, installed a small taco circulator in the loop, put in a ranco electronic temp control in the hot water heater tank ( file:///C:/Users/Rob/Desktop/ranco_etc_instructions.pdf ) and now I have plenty of hot water and if I decide to take a coal break I can just use electricity for the hot water in the summer, which by the way doesnt save much when you burn coal vs electric to heat your water. So when someone tells me to switch to geo thermal or some other new tech form of heating. I just tell them I burn about 5 to 6 tons of coal at 170.00 per ton (800.00 to 1000.00 a year) and I never need a high paid tech if I have heating problems. And that heats my 2500 square foot home and it heats my domestic hot water at 125 degrees. Anyway, just thought some of you may have an interest.
What model of Tyco pump are you using? I'm thinking of doing exactly the same setup on my VF3000.....

Dan

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”