AA-260 Install

Vampiro
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson S260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: #45 BAD HWH
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk1
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Pea Coal
Other Heating: POS gas boiler

Post by Vampiro » Mon. Dec. 02, 2013 9:15 pm

I've managed to rig the boiler to the basement. A friend, myself, an engine hoist, safety rope, straps, a come along, chain and some ingenuity.....then down in the basement it went. As of late I've been cleaning it up, and doing some painting.

Hopefully this week the 260 will be operational. I really can't wait. It's been a long time coming. I took the fan cover plate off, to replace the gasket and found some accumulated fly ash in there that I cleaned up. I am going to replace the rope gasket, and have to do a small piece out on the fan ring. The cyclone tube is sealed in there good with furnace cement. I'm going to fill it up with the garden hose to pressure test it, and see if there are any surprise leaks. I have the welder, so should a problem arise, I can accomplish the repairs.

After dissecting the boiler, I am really amazed at the quality of the construction and the subsequent design of the boiler. I'm more than happy to have purchased this boiler, and am glad I have this one opposed to the other makes of stokers that are out there. To me, the Axeman is bar none the best around. For its output, it utilizes a 6" flue pipe, which no other manufacturer has accomplished, and the design hands down beats them all.

Here are some photos.....errrr.... Sorry I took them while hanging upside down. It would help if I knew how to flip and rotate them. And I am in no way implying this site is not Vampire friendly. :devil:

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 131.1KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 169.9KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 128.7KB | image.jpg

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Tue. Dec. 03, 2013 6:46 pm

That must have been a back-breaker to move!

I agree with you, this may be the best boiler, if for nothing else it's longevity. What other boiler can be dumped in a swamp for twenty years and then dragged out and put back into operation?

Someday, another guy will buy your boiler and I bet it will be heating that person's house in the year 2075.

Keving
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Kimmel pea coal

Post by Keving » Tue. Dec. 03, 2013 7:10 pm

I come alonged a 260 out of a basement a year ago with the help of my brother in law, a friend, and the previous owner. I think they had more fun than I did. Then we did the same thing with a 130 a few weeks ago which seemed like a baby compared to the 260. How much square footage will be heating with your Axeman?

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Tue. Dec. 03, 2013 8:29 pm

I sure wish you guys would ask about dis-assembly or safeguarding the fan blade, blower shaft and bearing box(fan is $268.00.......shaft is $97.00, mount is $46.00)........... Your time to replace these items???
The auger is self explanatory.
There is a bracket for 130's and 260's that mounts on top of the bearing box and attaches to the round Heat Shield Flange securely so the fan and bearing box do not slam around in the move. The SAFEST method is to remove the BLOWER END OF THE BOILER. LOOSEN THE RUBBER MOUNTS THAT HOLD IT TO THE BASE ASSEMBLY. REMOVE THE LOWER SUPPORTS, THEN EITHER TWIST OFF, GRIND OFF OR REMOVE THE 4- 5/16" bolts that hold the heat shield assembly.........., BEARING BOX, ISOLATION MOUNTS, MOTOR AND GEARBOX are now able to be removed.. That takes about 200 lbs off instantly, and now not much is fragile. If you strip it in the basement, you will have lots of 'grip' points now, and not any 'bendable' parts. ALSO, on the observation door (feed end) remove the two 1/4" bolts on the top panel of the end of the base, and remove the ashing tray. Rusted cotter pins......probably will not cooperate, so snap them off and let the ashing arm hang free. ...Another 65 lbs you don't have to deal with........If you chose to separate the base from the boiler section , you will now be able to more safely, (read meaning LESS SKIN SACRIFICED). The tank-less needs to be blown out with air to make sure that no water remains, otherwise you have about 18 dollars of copper scrap that costs 350+/- to replace after it freezes up in your driveway, or on the trailer ride home. DO NOT try to remove the tank-less ,because unless your middle name is 'Lucky', you will snap off 8 of the nuts and studs...'.NMFP' Standards prevail. (Need More F***ing Parts.) You will be amazed at how many times the 'NMFP Protocol' will show up. Please do not be intimidated, and memorize the AA Phone Numbers.....tattoo it on your forearm, perhaps.
Now everything is much more manageable than trying to remove the beast in one piece. If you are suitably impressed with your brilliance, then by all means take her home, and luv her up in the shop for a few days.
I have a new install starting tomorrow and for once I will take some pics to keep you damned voyeurs happy. 1100 lbs of 'parts and pieces are already in the basement...so you have missed that part. Suffice it to say, no skid steer, excavator or crane were involved, (Sadly).....36" door; platform, 90 degrees, down a set of stairs. Four 4 '300+ lbs young bloods, and a stair dolly.....

Now, don't forget to try to remove the anthrastat screw (good luck) What a PITA...snaps off every time.....tap and replace with a hex head machine screw......then the rollers in the base...OMG. The cotter pins NEVER come out whole.....and I hear that adult beverages many be necessary to continue.......then on the other end of the base, ....the ashing assembly bushings(usually frozen solid to the shaft) Sometimes easier to replace the entire assembly if too rough......gear could be worn out also...and replace the push rod that contacts the ashing gear.......PLEASE do all the underneath work while you can still get at the base, and/ or flip the base over. These are just some of the things you need to do........ and get used to swimming in Anti-Seize, copper or silver...... For all of those who think this is fun little project, I might add that this is not a project that you can do in 8 hrs or even a weekend......sandblasting/grinding, welding if necessary...prime and paint, perhaps new wiring, bearings, controls....... Don't rush it, because the rebuilt will be good for another 30 years if you do it correctly and don't shortcut...... If you do not have a parts breakdown, call the girls at AA and they will mail, email or fax you the info. .......and you thought this would be a piece of cake, HA! Another thing to look at underneath is the cyclone separator funnel shaped insert. I have seen them with birds in them, mice, a rat once and a couple dead bats. How the hell they got in there, I will never know. That HAS to be cemented in and in good condition to capture fines and fly ash and 'separate; it from the exhaust stream. Just like one in a sawmill, woodworking shop, etc. As you know, AA's and AHS's do not need to be cleaned out simply because the fly ash and fines are mostly deposited on the ash tray below the separator and go harmlessly into the ash pan. To be sure, there is fly ash in the stack sometimes over long burn periods, so check it out monthly.....
Last edited by whistlenut on Tue. Dec. 03, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Tue. Dec. 03, 2013 8:46 pm

Can anyone change the orientation of the photos? My head hurts from the handstand to view them.......copied it to MS Paint, then re-size and rotate are options.....

Vampiro

Post by Vampiro » Tue. Dec. 03, 2013 9:46 pm

Wow, you folks had the luxury of four people. :D There were only two people rigging this bad boy, and thankfully no broken parts...or bones lol. I have rigged stuff before, so that came in handy. It went almost effortlessly. The door width was only 30 inches to boot. I had started refurbishing the 260 a while back. A lot of the work was accomplished already, and the grate rollers, and so forth had already been replaced and have no flat spots. It was done by the previous owner. The grate moves effortlessly, without even a noise but the click of the handle. The only thing left I have to do is weld where the fan cover collar is in one spot, and also just finish wire wheeling, and painting it.

The electrician will be by to wire it up in the next few days, and it will be piped in tomorrow. The coal bin should be done by Friday. I'm wondering about the aquastat. It should work, but should I have to replace it, what is its modern replacement? The pressure trol and low water cut off are brand new, along with the gauge glass and anthrastat. I'm wondering if I should just install the new anthrastat and not even bother with the old one, other then cleaning it up, testing it, and keeping it as a spare. I'll re-post some pictures too.

Thanks for the help and words of wisdom all. :0)

PS. Does anyone have a DHW coil for the 260?

Attachments

AA260isin.jpg
.JPG | 279.3KB | AA260isin.jpg
Flyash.jpg
.JPG | 31.9KB | Flyash.jpg

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Wed. Dec. 04, 2013 5:32 am

What a project! Thanks for sharing.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Dec. 04, 2013 1:35 pm

Nope, no 260 tankless coil here...do have new one for a 130 for sale. :)

Keving

Post by Keving » Wed. Dec. 04, 2013 8:01 pm

I have the remains of a 260 coil. I had quite a tussle getting it out and cracked the plate. I doubt it is of any use to you but you might be able to make something of it. I can dig it out and have a closer look at it if you can't come up with anything. I also have all of the specs, info and parts lists for the 260 which I can send via email if you need them. The 130 that I am currently running looks to have the original controls and they seem to be working fine. About the only time I have problems with electrical devices is when I accidently let the magic smoke get out. :oops:

Vampiro

Post by Vampiro » Sat. Dec. 07, 2013 3:38 pm

Here is another picture of the boiler. It is now painted. It's gray, flat black and gloss black combined. I was originally just going to do all black, but this looked cooler. Being all the other piping is 2", I decided to stick with 2" pipe, and went with a tall outlet pipe, along with the drop header.

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 110.7KB | image.jpg

Townsend
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & Harman Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Nut

Post by Townsend » Sun. Dec. 08, 2013 8:38 am

Vamp, glad you got it in the basement. Nice job. BTW, I have a coil for the 260.

Vampiro

Post by Vampiro » Sun. Dec. 08, 2013 9:36 am

Thanks Townsend. I'm almost there. The coal was delivered the other day. Just have to pass by the plumbing supply today to get a few more things. It's difficult to find a type M draft regulator. I'll send you a pm about the coil.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Dec. 08, 2013 10:28 am

Vampiro wrote:Thanks Townsend. I'm almost there. The coal was delivered the other day. Just have to pass by the plumbing supply today to get a few more things. It's difficult to find a type M draft regulator. I'll send you a pm about the coil.
Depending on how the chimney behaves, you might not need the Baro at all.

Vampiro

Post by Vampiro » Tue. Dec. 10, 2013 7:05 pm

Well, hopefully I'll be lighting a fire in the 260 either tonight or tomorrow. Getting down to the nitty gritty. I will be sure to take pictures.

Keving

Post by Keving » Tue. Dec. 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Good luck with ignition, looking forward to hearing how she goes.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”