Yellow Flame X510 Stoker Boiler, Info?

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Nov. 11, 2013 12:36 pm

Hi there everyone!

First, let me introduce myself; my name is Don and I have been reading this board for many years now. Thanks to this forum I have gone from burning wood, to trying to burn coal in my wood stove, through the coal stove phase, into the hand fired furnace, then the stoker stove phase and now the stoker furnace phase (hot air).
I have just installed an Alaska 140 dual feeder in my basement and it is working great! On days when it's 60 deg it idels along and the house and the basement are not 85 to 90 deg like when I run the Harman SF3500, only 68 to 72 deg.
So after all that one would think that I am perfectly happy and should get on with my life like a normal person, right? Well, there is this problem, I think it must be the final phase of STAGE 5 stoker madness. My big white truck has been whispering, and I quote, " There is a Yellow Flame Stoker Boiler that we need to go get... Come'on, lets go! ".
It seems that the big white truck has this plan to get a stoker boiler, put it in either the garage or the basement, put a heat exchanger in the hot air ductwork, install an indirect water heater in parrallel with the electric water heater and on top of that, heat the 2 plus car garage and the breezeway.
This is a very long winded way of saying hello and by the way I have a line on a X510 Yellow Flame stoker boiler 102,000 BTU and I need to know if anyone hear knows about this model?

Thank you for your help,
Back porch 12-14-08 002.jpg

box woodstove

.JPG | 121.1KB | Back porch 12-14-08 002.jpg
Back porch 12-14-08 002.jpg

box woodstove

.JPG | 121.1KB | Back porch 12-14-08 002.jpg
[img][img][img][/img][/img][/img]
Kenmore 007.jpg

Kenmore coalstove

.JPG | 89.6KB | Kenmore 007.jpg
HarmanFurnaceRunning 001.JPG

Harman SF3500

.JPG | 102.8KB | HarmanFurnaceRunning 001.JPG
Alaska140Installed 002.JPG

Alaska 140 dual feeder

.JPG | 113.3KB | Alaska140Installed 002.JPG

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Nov. 11, 2013 12:46 pm

You may like to read some of the posts already posted here... https://coalpail.com/coal-forum/search.php?keywords=yel ... mit=Search

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Nov. 11, 2013 12:51 pm

Don, they are similar to a Keystoker in design. Call Mark's Supply and ask if you can still get grates for the stoker...last I heard they were getting hard to find. http://www.markssupply.com/ I believe the Yellow Flame stoker is optimized for buck, but it should burn rice also...another good question for Joe at Mark's Supply.

There are a few other forum members running Yellow Flame stokers, hopefully they will chime in.

Yellow Flame

Yellow Flame

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Nov. 11, 2013 1:11 pm

Thanks for the info McGiver, I will check that out.

Rob, That is very interesting, I never even thought to ask what size coal, I assumed it was rice? The guy selling it has a bunch of spare parts, gearboxes and such, don't know if he has grates. He is selling because he can't lift the coal into the hopper anymore, going to oil! of all things... If that happens to me, please put me down!

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Nov. 11, 2013 1:22 pm

Hey, StokerDon, Welcome Aboard, sorry I miss the welcome earlier. ;)

Sounds like you're no stranger to our community...congrats on the signing up though...no more lurk'in, eh?

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Mon. Nov. 11, 2013 1:47 pm

Hi StokerDon,

Welcome to the forum. Please check your private messages.

Thanks.

Mike

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Nov. 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Heh McGiver, no more lurk'in. I guess my stoker madness is out of the closet now!

Dragonslayer
Stoker Coal Boiler: Yellow Flame w/model A stoker

Post by Dragonslayer » Mon. Nov. 11, 2013 10:05 pm

Hello StokerDon,
I have a Yellow Flame boiler that I refurbished and installed last year and its working super thanks to the help of the great folks on this fantastic forum! :) I was also concerned about parts, especially grates, and gave Joe at Marks Supply a call back in the early part of the year and have a new set of grates and a few other parts that was recommeded sitting on the shelf as well as a parts list. He said he has the grates cast regularly and sells a lot of them!
I would definitely give him a call.
I am curious about the X510 designation and the 102,000 BTU rating of the unit you are considering as I have no idea what mine is actually rated for. Mine is a 3 grate Model A stoker and the boiler has a 1982 date stamp on it and that is about all I know. Its boiler dimensions are close to a Keystoker KA-6. If there is any original paperwork with your boiler it would be great to get it posted on here for others to reference :roll: .
I say go get that Yellow Flame :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dragonslayer.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Tue. Nov. 12, 2013 8:06 am

Thanks for the reply Dragonslayer,

Mark's supply sounds like the place for parts for YF's. The only info I have found about them is on this forum. I am going by what the guy selling it told me on the phone, he read the data plate and it said Model: X510, 102,2900Kbtu. That number doesn't sound right to me so i'm assuming it means 102,290btu. That should be about the right number for net output. This is a 3 grate stoker like yours, I guess about the same size as a 3 grate Keystoker and they rate those at 105,000btu. I have restrained my big white truck from dropping everything to run up there and get it. I am still in the begining stages of stoker boiler shopping. I am set for this heating season with the Alaska 140 and the old ugly Stoker stove 2 in the garage. It may be a few weeks until I can make the trip, so it may be sold by then.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”