Gentleman Janitor Problems

Stoker Coal Boilers automatically feed the coal and have controls and pumps just like any conventions boiler. They are intended to be used as a primary heat and often have domestic hot water coils as an added bonus. They can be set up independently or in dual sytem with your existing oil/gas boiler. They can accommodate both hot water base board or steam plumbing.
fudgiecole
Stove/Furnace Make: Gentalman Janitar

Post Sat. Nov. 09, 2013 10:23 pm

I have ben running a Gentleman Janitor A504 for about 5 years it is grinding the coal and pot is only burning on the far side of the fan.any suggestions.

blrman07
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Bucket a Day
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant Casting 2310
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Wood in the VC and anything that will fit in the Bucket a Day. It's not fussy.

Post Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 5:56 am

Welcome to the forum!! Be patient and members with your unit model will chime in. I suggest that you post some particulars. Have you ensured that all the ash is being removed? What size and type coal are you using? Where does your coal come from? I am not that familiar with your unit but it sounds like an air distribution problem. Possible to have a clinker that needs to be removed from the non burning side or air holes are clogged.

Rev. Larry
Rev. Larry
Ashland Pa.

1 John 1:9... If we sin and we confess that sin He is faithful and just and will forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

bksaun
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid, Gentleman Janitor GJ-6RSU/ EFM 700
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Pea Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer/ EFM-Gentleman Janitor
Stove/Furnace Model: 503 Insert/ 700/GJ-62

Post Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 1:36 pm

Shut it down and disasymble the pot, use a wire brush to clean the slots so the air can get it, that will take care of the burn.

Next, You could have a rock stuck in the auger, but most likely the auger may be worn out or the tube may be rough inside causing the coal to grind, which in turn clogs the pot. I have the best results when when the auger has between 1/8- 3/16" clearance.

Bk
"Corn Stoves", It is morally wrong to burn something you can make into Whiskey!

BK

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 6:44 pm

There is a fines plate on the bottom of the burn pot. Take that off and close the ash door. Let the fan blower run for several minutes to clean out the bottom of the burn pot. You might be plugged with fines. :)
I think a man does what he can, untill his destiny is revealed. Right now that is trying to sell my EFM plate boilers in 520 and 700 sizes.

bksaun
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid, Gentleman Janitor GJ-6RSU/ EFM 700
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Pea Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer/ EFM-Gentleman Janitor
Stove/Furnace Model: 503 Insert/ 700/GJ-62

Post Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 8:00 pm

There is that but surely he has cleaned that out sometime during a 5 year run, guess it could be.

Bk
"Corn Stoves", It is morally wrong to burn something you can make into Whiskey!

BK

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Post Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 9:54 pm

Check the inside of the feed pipes to see if they are rough/rusty. I had a steel pipe that was all pitted inside and was causing the coal to grind up.

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

Berlin
Site Moderator
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Will-Burt Combustioneer 77B
Coal Size/Type: Ohio BITUMINOUS pea stoker coal

Post Mon. Nov. 11, 2013 12:38 am

Rob R. wrote:Check the inside of the feed pipes to see if they are rough/rusty. I had a steel pipe that was all pitted inside and was causing the coal to grind up.
I had a GJ stoker that was killing me w/ the same issue until I replaced the auger extension pipe - it was far more rusted and pitted than I initially thought and this cured my problems w/ that stoker & buck anthracite.
Burning western Pennsylvania Bituminous in WNY using model 77 stoker furnace. BITUMINOUS equiptment: 2 hand fired stoves of my own design, Many Combustioneer Model 77 stokers, stokermatic furnace, Many Will-Burt stokers, & and Two Iron firemen.

fudgiecole
Stove/Furnace Make: Gentalman Janitar

Post Sun. Nov. 17, 2013 10:28 pm

fudgiecole wrote:I have ben running a Gentleman Janitor A504 for about 5 years it is grinding the coal and pot is only burning on the far side of the fan.any suggestions.
I think I found my problem .I replaced the tube going in the barrel the starter worm was grinding the
end of the tube.When I first set it up The worm was running 15 RPM .I just checked it was running 18 RPM's.Turned it back to 15RPM.I think I fixed it.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic and Steam)”