Storage Tanks

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Nov. 07, 2013 9:52 pm

CoalBurner5 wrote:Yes that information helps a lot. I now see that the coal consumption is higher than normal, but the house is insulated very well, with the exception of the older windows (which are double pane andersons, just old) The walls are all R13 and attics all have R21 in them.
Insulation is one thing, infiltration is another. If you have a lot of air leaks, the house is going to use a lot of coal...that's all there is to it. Large, old homes have a big appetite for btu's...especially if the home has a lot of wind exposure.

It does sound like there is room for improvement with your controls, but I do not know anyone in your area.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Thu. Nov. 07, 2013 10:35 pm

CoalBurner5 wrote:......
T.T.-is controlling my aquastat for my dumpzone and also has one thermostat connected to it.

zr is empty
L1 has two black wires the stoker and also the 3 pump which is run through a relay
L2 has two white wires the stoker and also the 3 pump which is run through a relay
C2 has white wire to pump 1
B2 is empty
C1 has balck to pump 1
B1 has ground
zc is empty

pump 2 is run through a relay

DOES ANY OF THIS MAKE SENSE?
B1 has ground??? :shock: That can't be good ... that's line voltage on a call for heat!

Your B terminals should be controlling the stoker. The way it's wired now, I can't understand where that line voltage is coming from on L1/L2 .... that should be coming right from the breaker box. :gee:

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Nov. 07, 2013 10:48 pm

CoalBurner5 wrote:My concern was to store water for the heating system.

I feel like i'm still burning to much coal and feel like the system is getting shocked. Right now I am running a honeywell 7224 triple aquastat and have my current temps set at 150 low limit with a 10 differential and high limit at 170 with a 10 differential. As of right now my boiler maintains a 140-150ish temp and every single time that there is a heat call from the thermostat, it triggers the ciruculator to run AND the stoker.

So I guess what i'm asking is does it make sense that the stoker runs everytime that the circulator kicks on? in my mind i'm thinking that the stoker should only stoke when the temp drops below the low limit and on the timer that I have set to run 2 mins every half hour to prevent outfires. Just seems like it runs way to much and i'm losing heat up the chimney.
On any heat call by TT the stoker will only be started by the High Limit setting minus it's differential.

If the HL is set, as you state, 170 w/ diff. 10, then stoker starts at 160 or less if/when TT is signaled.
LL has nothing to do w/ any TT...it just fires the stoker to keep the boiler water above a minimum setting, which as you state is, 140. This keeps the boiler hot for using the tankless coil in the boiler.

Now, if as you say the boiler maintains 140-150ish temps and the circulators AND the stoker fires on a TT call...then this makes perfect sense, as it is below 160.

On a different note: Have you given any thought as to possible ghost flows due to lack of flow checks?
Excessive ghost flows can draw the boiler temps down between boiler firings.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Nov. 07, 2013 11:06 pm

SMITTY wrote:
CoalBurner5 wrote:......
T.T.-is controlling my aquastat for my dumpzone and also has one thermostat connected to it.

zr is empty
L1 has two black wires the stoker and also the 3 pump which is run through a relay
L2 has two white wires the stoker and also the 3 pump which is run through a relay
C2 has white wire to pump 1
B2 is empty
C1 has balck to pump 1
B1 has ground
zc is empty

pump 2 is run through a relay

DOES ANY OF THIS MAKE SENSE?
B1 has ground??? :shock: That can't be good ... that's line voltage on a call for heat!

Your B terminals should be controlling the stoker. The way it's wired now, I can't understand where that line voltage is coming from on L1/L2 .... that should be coming right from the breaker box. :gee:
Wait a minute...

He shows L1 and L2 w/ stoker white and black...stoker goes to the B1(Blk) & B2(Wht)
Smitty's right, B1 is powered w/ 120 volts on a TT call w/ HL below 160...that's a dead short to ground.
There is no ground needed at that terminal strip.
Should only be the one thermostat...I'm not sure what is going on w/ that dump zone...maybe it's wired to STEAL 24 volts from the L7224 aquastat to power that dump zone???

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”