Just Lit DF520 : Low Draft-Should a Draft Inducer Be Used

Rigar
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 150
Coal Size/Type: anthracite rice

Post by Rigar » Tue. Oct. 15, 2013 2:09 pm

seven

... you need to isolate your coal burning appliance from everything else- period.
... I am only saying this to help you determine why your draft is so poor.
I don't know how your chimney is constructed.... but in my case( hey very old home) the two flu openings are shared by a clean out. I new this before I installed my coal furnace... so it wasn't a problem.
air will take the path of least resistance.... so essentially any leak or opening at the bottom of the flu near or around the thimble where the coal boiler enters the chimney will essentially act like an unchecked baro.... resulting in poor draft.
... the other confusing part to me is does the oil boiler maintain hot water for the house while the coal boiler is running also ?
... I would certainly reinspect the clay at or below the coal boiler thimble... and make sure the clean outdoor seals well.
... how many flus do you have in total??

Seven

Post by Seven » Tue. Oct. 15, 2013 11:18 pm

Rigar,

There are 3 total flues going up the chimney. one for each fireplace located on 1st floor (each one has a clean out in the basement). The indirect water heater is setup like a seperate zone so which ever appliance is running heating the domestic water...just not via a coil.

Rigar
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 150
Coal Size/Type: anthracite rice

Post by Rigar » Wed. Oct. 16, 2013 6:32 am

Seven wrote:Rigar,

There are 3 total flues going up the chimney. one for each fireplace located on 1st floor (each one has a clean out in the basement). The indirect water heater is setup like a seperate zone so which ever appliance is running heating the domestic water...just not via a coil.
.you have 3 fireplaces on your first floor then ???

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Wed. Oct. 16, 2013 9:19 am

Seven wrote:Thanks to all that have replied........................

When I identified the bottom clay liner issue in the spring it was on a warmer day where we turned on the whole house attic fan. We noticed that when the oil burner was on, only cycling when the indirect domestic water heater calls for demand, it could be smelled by the fan pulling the exhaust through upstairs fireplace. So I started looking around and found the broken liner. ......................
Brings me back to my original question........... IS YOUR HOUSE TOO TIGHT ?????

You may need to have a dedicated supply of combustion air for the coal appliance. If you do not have adequate combustion air, it will limit draft as the coal appliance is gasping for air. Turning on that whole house fan confirms it. When the fan was turned on it started pulling air from wherever it could......and that was backdrafting the oil burner flue. I have had the same situation in my old body shop. When I would turn on the exhaust fan for my spray booth, it would pull air out of the oil burner. My solution was to open a window at the far end of the shop. Try opening a window near your coal burner and see if that makes a difference in your draft. Do it now while it is not too cold.

Rick

Seven

Post by Seven » Wed. Oct. 16, 2013 8:16 pm

Rigar, Sorry I wasn't clear. I have two fireplaces on the main level. Then I have the oil and coal shared flue in the basement.

I don't think the house is too tight. I certainly could be wrong as my wife has proven it before and never lets me forget it!

There is a window 4' from the boiler and it has been open with no difference but I haven't tried it in moderate temperatures. The EFM is currently off as I couldn't maintain a decent flame and the CO meter was reading 42ppm last Friday an hour after my original post on this thread. I can give it a shot again later this week.

Thanks

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Wed. Oct. 16, 2013 8:42 pm

Seven wrote:
I have since done some "searching" and see some are using the AD-1 with results but it doesn't sound like people run them 24x7.
I run mine from the time I start the stove in the fall until I shut it down in the spring. 24/7.

Speaking of starting the stove, I would've been live tonight as the misses has started complaining about how cold it's getting. But when I mounted the pipe on the chimney it broke at the seams. Seems the ashes ate through there.

Seven

Post by Seven » Sat. Oct. 19, 2013 6:44 pm

Well today I blocked off the other two flue on top of the chimney (for the fireplaces). I removed the damper and capped it. I put some more RTV between the boiler and the base. The flue dampers to the fireplace are closed but I wouldn't say they were tight. I also checked the fireplace clean-outs that are in the basement to ensure they fit with a nice seal. The two clean outs share the same air. I can put a flashlight in one and see the light when I open the other. Is that normal?

The length of the boiler flu was also measured and confirmed at 19 feet tall from thimble to top. The thimble is mounted about 6' from the floor.

None of this moved the manometer a bit. It is at 0.0 today but the coal boiler is not running. Tomorrow I plan to start it up and see what I get. My neighbor keeps some bees and I think he has one of those smoker pots. I thought I would see if I can borrow it and do some tests in the boiler room and just see if draws from someplace.

The temps tomorrow are supposed to be in the mid 60's so I hope I can leave it running. I'll keep checking the flame and the CO monitor and cross my fingers.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Oct. 20, 2013 3:42 am

Seven wrote:None of this moved the manometer a bit. It is at 0.0 today but the coal boiler is not running.

Once you get some heat rising in the chimney your mano should start reading some negative pressure provided it can't draw air from anywhere else.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”