KA6 Dual Fuel Question

Zinj
Stoker Coal Boiler: KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark III

Post by Zinj » Sun. Sep. 29, 2013 12:45 pm

When switching over to coal should I remove the dry baffle? Manual just says dual fuels have the dry baffle but doesn't say to remove it when running on coal. Makes sense to remove it but I would appreciate any wisdom. Thanks all.

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post by Wiz » Sun. Sep. 29, 2013 1:54 pm

That's a good question. .. I've got dry baffle hanging burning coal but instructions never mention to hang it for coal. I assume you just do.

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Sun. Sep. 29, 2013 2:26 pm

After searching web I found nothing about dry baffle for coal burning. Year later and now you have me rethinking lol... I just email keystoker to get the answer for us..

Zinj

Post by Zinj » Sun. Sep. 29, 2013 2:32 pm

Slightly more serious question...is there any factory oils or anything that "burn off" on first run? I have a little smoke coming from around the stoker. Either the flange or air baffles. Not 100% as I am still looking. Prolly gonna re- caulk the outside edge with high temp to see if that seals it better.

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Sun. Sep. 29, 2013 2:50 pm

You'll get some burn off on initial burn for the first time. It'll clear up in a hour or so. I hoping you furnace cement around stoker before bolting onto boiler.

Zinj

Post by Zinj » Sun. Sep. 29, 2013 3:06 pm

My installer didn't and I didn't catch it right away. So I did a thick bead of high temp rtv around the outside of the flange. You think that will suffice or should I just bite it and tear the stoker off and cement it?

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Sun. Sep. 29, 2013 3:09 pm

Me personally I would furnace cement it. If you choose that route hopper needs to be removed

Zinj

Post by Zinj » Sun. Sep. 29, 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks for the advice, Wiz. Much appreciated.

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Mon. Sep. 30, 2013 10:28 am

Keystoker reply, even know its not note in manual it's to be use with coal burning. States it helps stove be more efficient. Helps retain heat instead of going out stack.. Remember someone mention this in a older post.

Zinj

Post by Zinj » Mon. Sep. 30, 2013 4:45 pm

Figures I would guess wrong and pull it out. Easy fix. Otherwise all is well, my first day running a stoker and no issues other than freaking out a bit when the manufacturing oil started to burn off. Only lasted an hour like you said, Wiz. I do still have a way to go to really master the controls but it's a way better future than 4 tanks of oil and 4 to 6 cords of wood. Plus I am much happier supporting our local economy rather than top tier business elite, dirty politicians, and foreign countries who only love us when we write them big fat checks. End soapbox.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Oct. 02, 2013 8:09 am

Zinj wrote:I do still have a way to go to really master the controls but it's a way better future than 4 tanks of oil and 4 to 6 cords of wood.
Start with the settings that Keystoker recommends.

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Wed. Oct. 02, 2013 10:30 am

Zinj wrote:I do still have a way to go to really master the controls but it's a way better future than 4 tanks of oil and 4 to 6 cords of wood.
X2. I told Zinj to cut back on feed for rice, he was at 9 turns. Gave some tips on what I've learn to try. Ka6 works best once you get proper feed rate on long demand. Then cut back or add pins to keep idle at 2 inch of hot coals. You don't save coal consumption by trying to cut feed rate back. You'll loose what its gain by unburnt coal, been keeping data on settings to come to this.

Zinj

Post by Zinj » Thu. Oct. 03, 2013 5:53 am

Currently at 11 turns and 2 pins every 10 minutes. I have about an 1-1/2" idle fire and was holding around 190 degrees this morning with no demand overnight. Draft is still good at -.02. I have been keeping a log of all changes made/temps/etc as I go. Is it normal that I am excited about winter again? Hasn't been that way for a long time. :D

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Thu. Oct. 03, 2013 6:03 am

Zinj wrote:. Is it normal that I am excited about winter again? Hasn't been that way for a long time. :D
Omg it's another coal fever.... lol

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Thu. Oct. 03, 2013 7:25 am

Light your stove. Sit in Front of it for 2 hours each day watching the orange glow from the fire with the blue ladies dancing on top of the burning coal. Drink two adult beverages. Don't call the doctor. Rinse and repeat. The fever will break about April 2014. :D

Rev. Larry

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”